wideband kit experiences, what have you?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

nuttasie

wideband kit experiences, what have you?

Post by nuttasie »

I will be getting one soon and just wondered what peoples experience was with them in regards to quality,reliability etc.

was looking at aem, innovate and plx devices.

people had commented on plx having bad customer service so i emailed them a couple of times over a period of 1 month and never had a single reply, so they are off the list :(
rev3turbo

Re: wideband kit experiences, what have you?

Post by rev3turbo »

ive had an innovate lc-1 for about 7 years, no issues at all, its been 100% relaible, easy to install. cant fault it
kev8611

Post by kev8611 »

I ended up going for the innovate lc-2.

As above. Easy to install and I can connect it to my datalogit aswell.

Doesnt break the bank either
nuttasie

Post by nuttasie »

good to hear you have had no issues. I was swaying more towards the innovate but then saw the new aem with integrated boost gauge. didn't really want that to be a factor but do like the idea of having less gauges in the cockpit.

i like the pocket logger you can get for the innovate aswell.
mr2magic

Post by mr2magic »

Techedge + Bosch LSU 4.9 = the dogs jewels!
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

I'm going to be installing an AEM UEGO in my own car soon - I can't really give feedback on it yet, but I've only heard good things about them so far.

:D
nuttasie

Post by nuttasie »

mr2magic wrote:Techedge + Bosch LSU 4.9 = the dogs jewels!

have seen this put trying to keep it simple.

Matt - Reign Autoworks wrote:I'm going to be installing an AEM UEGO in my own car soon - I can't really give feedback on it yet, but I've only heard good things about them so far.

:D

which one did you get,normal or failsafe?
been reading and alot of people are slating the innovate but suppose people post more with problems than praise lol.

Also after all this reading would have probably gone for the aem uego as it uses the newer bosch 4.9 but only way to log it is with laptop were as the innovate as pocket logger but only uses 4.2 and the aem failsafe don't say so assuming also is the 4.2,
Not sure if should worry about this fact or not, just thought it is more benficial to get one that uses the newer sensor?
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

AEM uego.. the sensor comes calibrated to the gauge, no messing about calibrating (and recalibrating, and recalibrating) sensors in thin air like on innovate ones.

I've had innovate mtx-l and UEGO, by the way.
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
QUOC2008

Post by QUOC2008 »

Aem are not good gauges or sensors i got them and its 0.1 off the actual reading but they do look nice. Plus the sensors on the other aem gauges i got are crap to oil temp leaks oil through the threads as the thread is not tapered reading are inaccurate.

Heard defi gauges are the best from the evo forum...?
MR2 REV 3 TURBO 450BHP
3000GT VR4 TT 500BHP
EVO X FQ360
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

I'll be going for the failsafe one :)
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

QUOC2008 wrote:Aem are not good gauges or sensors i got them and its 0.1 off the actual reading but they do look nice. Plus the sensors on the other aem gauges i got are crap to oil temp leaks oil through the threads as the thread is not tapered reading are inaccurate.

Might I ask where you got your 'actual' reading from? AEM use the Bosch sensor in their AFR gauge. Not exactly known for it's inaccuracy.

Edit: I run Defi gauges (sell them, too) - and whilst they're good, I wouldn't pick a Defi AFR gauge over an AEM one. The biggest thing with Defis is their styling, really. They're mostly accurate, but even my genuine Defi boost gauge in my Supra was out by a few %. Easy enough to read once you know how much over it reads, but it's not dead accurate. The sensor is about six years old now, mind. I might replace it at some point and see how I get on.
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Dont most widebands use the same bosch sensor anyway?

I've got an innovate MTX-L, wont know how good it is until the weekend though :lol:
mr2magic

Post by mr2magic »

Most kits use a bosch sensor.....not always the same type but almost always a bosch.

I'm personally not sure how much of the deviation in values is down to the sensor and how much is down to the controller.....

For my build a display is absolutely useless an to be honest how much time does anyone want to spend looking at all the gauges.....AFR, Water temp, oil temp, boost, oil pressure................no time left to look at the road!!
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

QUOC2008 wrote:Aem are not good gauges or sensors i got them and its 0.1 off the actual reading but they do look nice. Plus the sensors on the other aem gauges i got are crap to oil temp leaks oil through the threads as the thread is not tapered reading are inaccurate.

Also interested in how you know the AEM is off by .1??

Re the oil leak, that doesn't make it crap, that just means you've not used the correct fitting, or elected not to use thread tape on the fitting.

It's naive to expect any aftermarket gauge/meter to be calibrated to be 100% accurate, the cost in doing so would make them massively expensive. A few % either way is more than close enough for what we use them for, which is just keeping an eye on parameters so you don't grenade your engine.
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

Are you using a sandwich plate for your oil temps etc...? Other than the reasons stated by Rob above, can't see why they'd leak! :)
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

mr2magic wrote:Most kits use a bosch sensor.....not always the same type but almost always a bosch.

I'm personally not sure how much of the deviation in values is down to the sensor and how much is down to the controller.....

For my build a display is absolutely useless an to be honest how much time does anyone want to spend looking at all the gauges.....AFR, Water temp, oil temp, boost, oil pressure................no time left to look at the road!!

Thats why all my gauges are digital and have warning lights, just takes a very quick glance to see if anythings wrong. Works pretty well on trackdays going down a long straight.

Although the wideband is more for when I get the power fc mapped.
mr2magic

Post by mr2magic »

Race Idiot wrote:
mr2magic wrote:Most kits use a bosch sensor.....not always the same type but almost always a bosch.

Thats why all my gauges are digital and have warning lights, just takes a very quick glance to see if anythings wrong. Works pretty well on trackdays going down a long straight.

Although the wideband is more for when I get the power fc mapped.

Exactly! All I need is the warning when parameters exceed a set value and for this I have my trusty vipec :-)
kev8611

Post by kev8611 »

I couldnt connect aem to my datalogit. Thats why i went for innovate. Yeah it doesnt come calibrated but its not like you need a whole day to calibrate it
nuttasie

my head hurts

Post by nuttasie »

who would have thought it would be so hard to pick 1 of 3 items lol.

aem uego with 4.9
aem failsafe with 4.2
innovate mtx-l with 4.2

Ain.t sure if i am understanding the air calibration part correctly, is it because as the sensor degrades it will not be reading correctly so the controller resets itself to the sensor?

I like the aem failsafe because of the inbuilt logger+ boost gauge aswell.
the aem uego due to the new 4.9
and if i get the calibration part correctly, the innovate due to this particular reason.

would anybody be bothered about which sensor was supplied as a deciding factor just for a road car?

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”