Rev2's vs Rev3's?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

MR2 Rich

Rev2's vs Rev3's?

Post by MR2 Rich »

What's everyone's thoughtS on Rev3 turbos being better than Rev2's? I know the 3+ have better heads, better turbos and ultimately are more tuneable than 1 and 2's. On the other hand I have also heard people say there is more of a kick from the Ct26 as the turbo has a narrower power band?

There is a nice looking Rev2 turbo close to me at a good price so I'm thinking as I will likely keep it awhile and ultimately mod it so I don't think it will make much difference starting from a Rev2 or 3 but what's other people's thoughts?
No 2 :(
outrun

Re: Rev2's vs Rev3's?

Post by outrun »

I went for a rev 2 turbo, even though I initially wanted a rev 3.
The reason for me, was zero rust was initially more important. That is something I do not want to deal with, anymore.

Plus, I assumed the 2-3 fuelling etc conversion was more straight forward than it is, so was planning that, and have all the parts and a CT20B etc, but I'm not bothering, now.

It's right what you say about the CT26. That is one of the reasons I am going to stick with it.
For me, it suits what I want from the car.

If you are upgrading, then it is much easier to start with a rev 3, but I would still buy based on condition, first.
Nails

Post by Nails »

Had both. Both have merits. Rev 2 feels like a modern derv. Not in a bad way just feels like more of a kick but runs out of puff.
Rev 3 revs much better. Better fueling better mpg and is quicker easier to mod etc.

but as outrun said rust rust rust. If I was after another one I'd buy on condition over what rev it was.

and if the sills are bubbling and they say its just surface rust and you dont want to be chasing your tail with rust then run. Run far away. Plenty at the minute have shocking rust that is plain to see. Imagine what theyre like where you can't see.
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

Very good advice thanks. Rust on the arches was the main reason I got rid of my last 2 and it being a tbar :cry:
Nails

Post by Nails »

Tbars defo seem more prone to rusting too
synXero

Post by synXero »

Cars are made of steel and steel rusts a lot.

The only way you're going to get one with no rust is if it's had a full money no object resto...
2mad

Post by 2mad »

The amount of work/mods I had to do to equal/surpass what a rev3+ can do with just uped boost ... very expensive would not recommend mate.
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

2mad wrote:The amount of work/mods I had to do to equal/surpass what a rev3+ can do with just uped boost ... very expensive would not recommend mate.

I see what you are saying but when I modify it I would be going for more power than you would be able to get from a Rev3. So I wouldn't have thought there was an increase in cost as Rev2's are cheaper to buy.

:thumleft:
2mad

Post by 2mad »

MR2 Rich wrote:
2mad wrote:The amount of work/mods I had to do to equal/surpass what a rev3+ can do with just uped boost ... very expensive would not recommend mate.

I see what you are saying but when I modify it I would be going for more power than you would be able to get from a Rev3. So I wouldn't have thought there was an increase in cost as Rev2's are cheaper to buy.

:thumleft:

Yeah but you might have to spend 1000 pounds to compete with a rev3 .. me i went .. ct20b.. mines ecu , hks vpc , water/meth , afc tune + stage one mods to get me there .. my st205 does this with just boost uped .
Nails

Post by Nails »

synXero wrote:Cars are made of steel and steel rusts a lot.

The only way you're going to get one with no rust is if it's had a full money no object resto...

dont really agree. Yes steel rusts I cant argue that but some are falling to bits and others aren't. I've been all over mine and outruns and theyre good. Combination of being looked after off the road at winter etc.
Nails

Post by Nails »

synXero wrote:Cars are made of steel and steel rusts a lot.

dont really agree. Yes steel rusts I cant argue that but some are falling to bits and others aren't. I've been all over mine and outruns and theyre good. Combination of being looked after off the road at winter etc.
QUOC2008

Post by QUOC2008 »

Mines a rev 3 turbo and theres no rust... at all. I would look for a rev5 turbo in mint condition with no rust as u get everything in the rev 5 turbo more chance of it being in mint condition although i did see a rev 5 a month ago and it was a rust bucket... so look carefully
MR2 REV 3 TURBO 450BHP
3000GT VR4 TT 500BHP
EVO X FQ360
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

if you plan on going beyond the capabilities of the rev3 ignition and fueling system then it makes no difference which revision you buy. Other than having a better cylinder head you'll be throwing pretty much the same amount of cash at it anyway.

A lot of folk maintain that the rev2 block is cast using better material and is slightly thicker around the water pump so less prone to cracking, However people have had plenty success with rev3s also. :thumleft:
synXero

Post by synXero »

There was also the old argument that the rev2 car was physically lighter than the rev3 as well.

That said I don't know if that's actually true for any real reason, or even if it was only true because of the engine differences.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

sheppy wrote:if you plan on going beyond the capabilities of the rev3 ignition and fueling system then it makes no difference which revision you buy. Other than having a better cylinder head you'll be throwing pretty much the same amount of cash at it anyway.

A lot of folk maintain that the rev2 block is cast using better material and is slightly thicker around the water pump so less prone to cracking, However people have had plenty success with rev3s also. :thumleft:

What held me back was the 440cc injectors an upgrade would of really helped me out .. i think were talking max power for stock engine .. rev3+ wins :thumleft:

From experience.
danjama

Post by danjama »

I personally couldn't justify the difference in purchase cost between the Rev 2 and Rev 3. In most cases a 3rd or more on top for similar specced cars.

There's not a single day i've regretted buying a Rev 2. Brilliant, brilliant cars in any form IMO.

As said, buy on condition.
masterbateson

Post by masterbateson »

Is the cylinder head the main difference between rev2 and rev3?
What else is different?

And while were at it, anyone fancy explaining the differences between,
rev's 1 thru to 3 ?

Thankyou please :cyclops:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

- MAP sensor instead of AFM
- Bosch D-Jetronic (Gen III) vs. L-Jetronic (relatively primitive) engine management
- CT20b turbo replaces CT26
- Boost raised from 10psi to 13psi
- Fuel cut raised from 12 psi to 18 psi
- Different ECU
- 4 wire O2 sensor
- Shim under bucket valve shims
- slightly more aggressive cams
- Revised internals (pistons, con-rods etc.)
- Revised cylinder head cooling passages/water jackets
- Revised intake manifold (8 'independent long ports' reduced to 4)
- intake manifold inlet air temperature sensor added. i.e. after turbo and intercooler.
- Revised gearbox with close ratio gearing
- lower compression ratio
- stainless steel head gasket
- factory 540cc injectors replace 430cc injectors
- revised fuel rail with bigger bore and relocated pressure regulator
- TVIS eliminated
- EGR eliminated
- LSD in 80% of them
- throttle body increased from 55mm to 60mm
- inlet valve lift increased from 8.2 to 8.7
- intake manifold inlet air temperature sensor added
- Less restrictive exhaust elbow
- Aluminum oil pan
- more rigid alloy sump and additional oil baffles
- Factory Catch can
- Better Oil Cooler and relocated oil filter (bottom)
- 4 Channel ABS coupled with Traction Control available
- No. 1 compression ring described as 'stainless steel' instead of just 'steel'. Oil ring is described as 'stainless steel' instead of 'a combination of steel and stainless steel'.

Not quite the info I was searching for but it covers most of the differences :thumleft:
mr2magic

Post by mr2magic »

The cylinder head on a gen3 is not better per se. The only available flow bench numbers ever presented prove (if you can use the word) that the gen2 head flows more than the gen3.

The gen3 is a better package though. The ct20b, map based injection, higher lift higher duration cams, shim under bucket and a plethora of small tweaks all combine to produce more power over the whole rev band.
craig

Post by craig »

If I was looking for another MR2 turbo, I wouldn't even consider anything other than rev3+.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”