did a dyno on my mr2 with my race logic traction control on and got 100bhp less

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

QUOC2008

did a dyno on my mr2 with my race logic traction control on and got 100bhp less

Post by QUOC2008 »

i did a dyno on my mr2 with my race logic traction control on and got 100bhp less the car was running 445bhp but with the traction control on i got 352bhp. Im surprise how much power it holds back.

Has anyone else had this happen or tested it too?
MR2 REV 3 TURBO 450BHP
3000GT VR4 TT 500BHP
EVO X FQ360
jakeymears

Re: did a dyno on my mr2 with my race logic traction control on and got 100bhp less

Post by jakeymears »

that would probably be because your front wheels are not spinning and it works of the differential of the axles speeds so it thinks its detecting a massive slip angle and hence cutting fuel to try and control it the smaller the slip angle you set on the controller the more power you would have lost.
QUOC2008

Re: did a dyno on my mr2 with my race logic traction control on and got 100bhp less

Post by QUOC2008 »

Well at least i know its working... lol in weather like this its best to have it on
MR2 REV 3 TURBO 450BHP
3000GT VR4 TT 500BHP
EVO X FQ360
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

who did the dyno showing the 445bhp? Have you done one yourself with this result?
QUOC2008

Post by QUOC2008 »

ImageTraction control off

Traction control on

Rs tunning... dyno dynamics pretty sure these dynos are good.
then dynoed with race logic traction control on wet mode at dynotech with dyno dynamics same make dyno machine.

Just interested what results peopleare getting
MR2 REV 3 TURBO 450BHP
3000GT VR4 TT 500BHP
EVO X FQ360
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

so this was a back to back dyno with it off then with it on? Just curious :thumleft:
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

To me doesn't sound like it is given that's 2 different tuning garages. And probably 2 different times of the year as well (different ambient temps).
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

What would be interesting is an overlay of the boost and fueling as well as the torque and hp. To see what's happening there.
QUOC2008

Post by QUOC2008 »

Give a sec guys...
MR2 REV 3 TURBO 450BHP
3000GT VR4 TT 500BHP
EVO X FQ360
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

did you dyno the car yourself when you got the 445bhp sheet? That's what I'm getting at as I know where the car came from....
ashley

Post by ashley »

sheppy wrote:did you dyno the car yourself when you got the 445bhp sheet? That's what I'm getting at as I know where the car came from....

Surely you're not implying that the original dyno graph (supplied by the car builder) might not be accurate?

O:)

I wouldn't get too hung up on it...as the OP has stated a few times- the car feels more than fast enough for him, so no biggy. I would be curious to rerun on the dyno with traction control switched off though for a genuine like for like comparison...
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

ashley wrote:
sheppy wrote:did you dyno the car yourself when you got the 445bhp sheet? That's what I'm getting at as I know where the car came from....

Surely you're not implying that the original dyno graph (supplied by the car builder) might not be accurate?

O:)

I wouldn't get too hung up on it...as the OP has stated a few times- the car feels more than fast enough for him, so no biggy. I would be curious to rerun on the dyno with traction control switched off though for a genuine like for like comparison...

I think that has been implied since this car came about :lol:
No offence intended or meant of course.
It's just that the guys at Banned trader have been known to exaggerate (or make up claims) in the past.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Those figures are absolutely irrelevant as they are on different dyno's. The only way you can compare is on back to back runs with the system on and off, preferably with at least 3 runs in each state.

If the traction control unit does indeed reduce power, then it must be detecting slip. How does your TC detect slip?
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

quite frankly im amazed youd go to a dyno and choose to have the TRC on and not do a couple of runs with it off.

:?
ashley

Post by ashley »

jimGTS wrote:quite frankly im amazed youd go to a dyno and choose to have the TRC on and not do a couple of runs with it off.

:?

Spot on :thumleft:
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

sometimes the obvious is only apparent after the event. Maybe one is crank and one is wheel power, maybe different boost levels but aye something is very different with those outputs
Nic

Post by Nic »

The RLTC takes the signal from each wheel ABS sensor, on a dyno the front wheels are not turning so the RLTC would think the rear wheels are spinning (it compares the speed of each wheel to work out if one or more wheels are losing traction) and would aggressively cut the fueling to each injector. If it cuts one injector per cycle then that would be something like a 25% drop in power.

Doing a dyno run with the RLTC on will never give you anything like a true hp reading. RLTC is very good on the road, not on a dyno.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

raptor95GTS wrote:sometimes the obvious is only apparent after the event. Maybe one is crank and one is wheel power, maybe different boost levels but aye something is very different with those outputs

This is why I was trying to establish if the OP had taken the car himself to both dyno sessions, or was the first 455bhp print out one Xxxx had given him :-k
QUOC2008

Post by QUOC2008 »

Yeah i totally forgot to switch it off... i was pi$$ed when i saw the dyno by the time i realised the traction control was on, bob at dynotech said he couldnt do another run as theres too many car booked in that day 7 evo he had to do.

The car is running 445bhp last year dyno it again in dec 429bhp but forgot to have the fans on the cc... and now 352 with tc on. Im so lame.
MR2 REV 3 TURBO 450BHP
3000GT VR4 TT 500BHP
EVO X FQ360
QUOC2008

Post by QUOC2008 »

Nic wrote:The RLTC takes the signal from each wheel ABS sensor, on a dyno the front wheels are not turning so the RLTC would think the rear wheels are spinning (it compares the speed of each wheel to work out if one or more wheels are losing traction) and would aggressively cut the fueling to each injector. If it cuts one injector per cycle then that would be something like a 25% drop in power.

Doing a dyno run with the RLTC on will never give you anything like a true hp reading. RLTC is very good on the road, not on a dyno.

Thanks for this info i think ur 100% right about this as i read up on the manual and its exactly 25% cut on this race logic TC. It quite good bit of kit have been quite safe in this weather so far and been testing it quite alot. Well at least now i know how much power im running with it on. :thumleft:
MR2 REV 3 TURBO 450BHP
3000GT VR4 TT 500BHP
EVO X FQ360

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”