[Mk2] [Turbo] Oil sandwich plates

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

GTMatt

[Mk2] [Turbo] Oil sandwich plates

Post by GTMatt »

Hi,

need an oil filter sandwich plate to run temp and pressure sensors to my defi gauges (1/8 pt fittings). Wondering if anyone has one of these installed on their mr2 and if so did you go for the 'standard', 'short' or 'small' 3/4x16 option in the drop down selection?

http://www.driftworks.com/alfit-oil-tem ... nsors.html

thanks in advance

matt
shinny

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Oil sandwich plates

Post by shinny »

If you have a rev3+ engine, there's a better way to do it:

Three 3/8 BSP ports available (although some may interfere with the aircon belt) with the added bonus that fitting does not involve dropping the oil (unlike the sump location) nor potential leaks from sandwich plate seals. Just get some adaptors and fit using PTFE tape :thumleft:
GTMatt

Post by GTMatt »

I had read on other sites about those locations, but also (probably Internet lies as usual) that they weren't the best points to measure from for reasons I can't remember. Have you mounted there before with successful realistic/ reliable readings then?
GTMatt

Post by GTMatt »

Also if you have used these locations have you got a link to the adapters you used? Saves me trawling the internet, very lazy of me.(Assuming you used sensors with 1/8pt threads)
shinny

Post by shinny »

GTMatt wrote:I had read on other sites about those locations, but also (probably Internet lies as usual) that they weren't the best points to measure from for reasons I can't remember. Have you mounted there before with successful realistic/ reliable readings then?

Hmmm - in terms of the flow of oil through the engine, they'll give essentially identical readings to a sandwich plate. The oil leaving the rev3+ filter (and hence sandwich plate) goes straight through the pipes with those plugs in.

As for the best place... well, for temperature I'd say it is the best place. It's measuring the temperature of the oil going directly into the engine, not the temperature of the oil at the bottom of the sump. However, for pressure there's a convincing argument to say that the stock oil pressure location is better, because it's at the top of the engine and therefore is sensitive to more potential failure locations.

I have Defi gauges and hence the same sensors as you will do - I have both the sensors plugged into those locations. However that's because I previously had a sandwich plate and I wanted to see the same reading on the pressure so I could understand how my new oil cooler affected pressure; changing the sensor location at the same time wouldn't have told me anything if the pressure reading dropped. If I were installing afresh, I would put my temperature in one of those three ports and my pressure Tee'd onto the stock pressure switch (using braided line, as solid T pieces are known to break under the weight of two sensors)

These are the adaptors I used, with some PTFE tape on the thread: https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/ad ... dp-3-8bspa

If I were installing new, I'd use something link this for the pressure sensor: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121385761453
GTMatt

Post by GTMatt »

That all sounds logical. Thanks

With regards to the first adaptor link (3/8bsp to 1/8npt), the defi senders are 1/8pt which is a Japanese spec which is functionally interchangeable with bspt threads. That adaptor has a 1/8 npt thread (American tapering) so the two would not thread into one another, Is that the exact one your using? Tad confused.
shinny

Post by shinny »

Yes, the adaptor I linked you to is what I'm using. Have been since summer 2012 :thumleft:
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Strangely a quick Google shows defis as both npt and bsp.

Npt for temp, bsp for pressures sensors.

Strikes me as odd.
Some forums threads say one, some say the other.
shinny

Post by shinny »

jimGTS wrote:Strangely a quick Google shows defis as both npt and bsp.

Npt for temp, bsp for pressures sensors.

Strikes me as odd.
Some forums threads say one, some say the other.

How odd. My Defi sensors (both temp and pressure) are using 1/8NPT threads just fine :thumleft:
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

shinny wrote:If you have a rev3+ engine, there's a better way to do it:

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://www.shinny.co.uk/mr2rev3turbooil ... ations.png

Three 3/8 BSP ports available (although some may interfere with the aircon belt) with the added bonus that fitting does not involve dropping the oil (unlike the sump location) nor potential leaks from sandwich plate seals. Just get some adaptors and fit using PTFE tape :thumleft:

I never knew those ports were there, nice one - not that I have any gauges to hook up but still nice to know those ports exist :thumleft:
mr2magic

Post by mr2magic »

That would be because the stock oil pressure sensor has 1/8bspt threads. There is no stock oil temp sensor so the manufacturers expect you to add a sandwich adapter.....and they all have 1/8npt ports :-)
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

mr2magic wrote:That would be because the stock oil pressure sensor has 1/8bspt threads. There is no stock oil temp sensor so the manufacturers expect you to add a sandwich adapter.....and they all have 1/8npt ports :-)

they dont

greddy sandwich plates or oil filter relocation kits have ports for greddy gauges, which are BSP

generally all JDM equipment is BSP.
mr2magic

Post by mr2magic »

Ahh okay...I don't go for the JDM gear so I didn't know that :thumleft:
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

JDM = coolness :mrgreen:

:eye:
mr2magic

Post by mr2magic »

Not on my USDM turbo :oldtongue:
Draven

Post by Draven »

mr2magic wrote:Not on my USDM turbo :oldtongue:

ignore me.. talking b0ll0cks
GTMatt

Post by GTMatt »

Well I've been taking all my info from this (defi site) http://www.defi-shop.com/installation/sensor/ and states 1/8 pt which as I've previously stated is not the same as 1/8 npt. But having said that I ordered an adaptor as posted by shinny and received it today, the sensor threaded into it perfectly.

Contrary to jimgts comment I do have a greddy sandwich plate but my defi sensors didn't thread into it, they just bound up before engagement. Which means they weren't bspt or the sensors aren't np as per the link above.

It's all confusing really, but long story short shinny' adaptor appears perfect :thumleft:
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

If the sensors don't go in the greddy sandwich plate then it is quite clear they are npt sensors, not bsp.

If they fit into a bsp-Npt adapter which shinny linked too, that clearly proves the greddy sandwich is indeed bsp which is actually what I said.

your defi link for whatever reason is just stangely wrong.

Edit
Or 'pt is just a random thread that screws into Npt but not bsp.
LukeSi

Post by LukeSi »

Out of interest, howcome Toyota never utilised these for anything out of the factory?
shinny

Post by shinny »

LukeSi wrote:Out of interest, howcome Toyota never utilised these for anything out of the factory?

Dunno... I have no idea why they're even there TBH! They're pretty useful though :thumleft:

Return to “Modifications”