Bronze windscreen replacement

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Zirax

Bronze windscreen replacement

Post by Zirax »

The supercharger was put away for the winter. Upon taking a look this morning the windscreen has cracked on the drivers side.

There were no chips or marks in the area, it just appears to be one of those things. Happened in the garage over winter.

Being an import I know that getting the glass is hard. Does anyone have any experience of this? Should I just fit the UK glass for the time being and keep a lookout?
Mullen

Re: Bronze windscreen replacement

Post by Mullen »

Autowindscreens had the bronze screen with built in ariel for my Mk2 import.
£75 to fit it with fully comp insurance.
Might be worth giving them a ring.
Last edited by Mullen on Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Mullen, his is a MK1, not a MK2.

You'll likely have to go to Toyota and see if they have any, but it may well need importing from Japan.

Or you could fit a green one as UK cars have. Would prefer to keep it bronze myself.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Mullen

Post by Mullen »

Lauren wrote:Mullen, his is a MK1, not a MK2.

Well aware of that, which is why I mentioned mine's a mk2 :)

For all I know AW stock Mk1 screens or can get them so was just mentioning it in case it helped.
Last edited by Mullen on Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Fair enough, it just seems that historically bronze MK1 screens are hard to find, but it's definitely worth contacting Autoglass just in case they do have one. :+:
Ben

Post by Ben »

Pilkington classics sorted me out earlier this year for a bronze screen :thumleft:
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
1989 MR2 Mk1b T-bar | 1988 MR2 SC Super Edition
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Of course I knew there was someone who had. I remember Mark's old SE had a green windscreen when he bought it, which irked him somewhat. He even bought a bronze OEM screen off Toni, but baulked when it came to the worries of having it fitted, so sold it on.
Zirax

Post by Zirax »

Thanks all that's given me something to look at. Will try autoglass and Pilkington. :thumleft:

Yes the bonded screen replacement does make me very nervous. Oh well onward :D
Mullen

Post by Mullen »

Total brainfart yesterday, having checked the paperwork it was AutoWindscreens not AutoGlass.
Posts edited.
Zirax

Post by Zirax »

Mullen wrote:Total brainfart yesterday, having checked the paperwork it was AutoWindscreens not AutoGlass.
Posts edited.

That explains the confused conversation I had :D I'll give them a shout tomorrow.

Ben wrote:Pilkington classics sorted me out earlier this year for a bronze screen :thumleft:

Bronze windscreen and bronze shadeband is £286.79 + VAT. Bargain in my mind as they are making the thing! 6-8 weeks though.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Zirax wrote:
Ben wrote:Pilkington classics sorted me out earlier this year for a bronze screen :thumleft:

Bronze windscreen and bronze shadeband is £286.79 + VAT. Bargain in my mind as they are making the thing! 6-8 weeks though.

Yep, that's the one! Same with me, they basically explained that they have the moulds for the UK cars and have bronze as a glass colour but would have to make it to order. Apparently I was only the third person to ever ask for one, which would explain why they don't keep them on the shelf! I think I paid about the same as well. I only stumbled across them at the NEC Classic last year, I'd previously spent weeks trying to track one down so having to wait 6-8 weeks didn't bother me too much.

Don't think I had the shadeband as I wanted it to be as standard as possible, but I was tempted... :thumleft:
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
1989 MR2 Mk1b T-bar | 1988 MR2 SC Super Edition
Zirax

Post by Zirax »

Ben wrote:
Zirax wrote:

Yep, that's the one! Same with me, they basically explained that they have the moulds for the UK cars and have bronze as a glass colour but would have to make it to order. Apparently I was only the third person to ever ask for one, which would explain why they don't keep them on the shelf! I think I paid about the same as well. I only stumbled across them at the NEC Classic last year, I'd previously spent weeks trying to track one down so having to wait 6-8 weeks didn't bother me too much.

Don't think I had the shadeband as I wanted it to be as standard as possible, but I was tempted... :thumleft:

Nice, I had visions of trying to find one in Japan to ship!

I'll go for the shadeband as it's a looooong way from standard. One to save as if you ever get another classic car ......

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”