[All] [Generic] external fuel pump

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

[All] [Generic] external fuel pump

Post by Ryan S »

ok, so the location of my car where i'm doing the work I would describe as a nightmare, the car is in my garage nose first, surrounded by old motorbikes and I have about 1-2ft of clearance at each side not including the front or the rear (there's no clearance at all at the front or rear), anyway, getting the engine out should be tricky but doable, however, i think getting the fuel tank out to replace the pump is going to be a total ballache, is there any options here where i can leave the old fuel pump in the tank but not using it??

not interested in anything that's silly priced, £400-£500 etc....just a solution that's sensible.

Cheers, Ryan :thumleft:
matt-mr2

Re: [All] [Generic] external fuel pump

Post by matt-mr2 »

You could do the engine then when it's ready drop the tank and do the pump outside
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

matt-mr2 wrote:You could do the engine then when it's ready drop the tank and do the pump outside

I did think about this (it was my original plan actually) but we had issues getting the fuel pump to run tonight so it's getting rewired with it's own relay etc, an external pump would be an ideal solution, I;m just not sure if there is such a thing that exists where you can leave the old pump in the tank :-k
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

you could use the old pump as a lift pump to a large swirl pot/reservoir then use a bigger inline pump to feed the fuel rail.. but really for all the hassle, expense and packaging issues just drop the tank and fit a 044 or a walbro 340.

its not that hard to drop the tank, just fiddly
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Yeah actually had a look at a few things, seems like the same amount of hassle to fit an external pump as it is to drop the tank :(
MartinF

Post by MartinF »

You're basing your car mod's on the ability to access certain parts of the car? *weird*

TBH....if you can lift the car high enough and get round it enough to get the engine out then you should be able to crawl underneath and get the tank out.
Blue Lexus RCF
Black MKIV UK Manual Supra
Green MK2 MR2 Tin Top
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

MartinF wrote:You're basing your car mod's on the ability to access certain parts of the car? *weird*

TBH....if you can lift the car high enough and get round it enough to get the engine out then you should be able to crawl underneath and get the tank out.

The engine is coming out the top of the car, The problem is that I probably can't lift the car high enough, I'm not basing the mods on what I can and can't access, I'm upgrading the fuel pump and haven't decided on one yet anyway, If I can get under the car and get the tank out I will, I was simply asking if there was an easier option :(
Al-sw20

Post by Al-sw20 »

Out the top :?

Good luck. You are going to need it.
nuttasie

Post by nuttasie »

do not take the engine out from top in small spaces. Use the crane/ lift whatever to drop engine on a board. I used some kitchen worktop with a couple of chopped up broom handle to use as rollers alla egyptian style. Have used this method everytime i drop an engine and always works with no bother.
once dropped use the hoist on hangers to raise car so you can pull engine out from rear, job done.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

there is no way to get the engine out other than the top unfortunately, it's not how I'd prefer to take it out but unless I do it on the street, this is my only option, my garage is at the top of my driveway which is on a slope, I can't lift the car high enough to get the engine out from the bottom. hence the problem with the fuel tank.

If it puts your minds at ease i've taken an engine out an mr2 this way before :thumleft:
Harrodbear86

Post by Harrodbear86 »

Interesting
Judderman

Post by Judderman »

I had wondered about removing the engine from the top. Think the gearbox would have to come off to make it easier.

Keep us posted on that one - good luck :thumleft:

Return to “Modifications”