Anyone Run a Turbo with no boost?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

androo007

Anyone Run a Turbo with no boost?

Post by androo007 »

Just as a side thought really....

Has anyone set their car up (I guess with an EBC) so that on normal day to day commutes the boost level is set to 0 for economy reasons, then activated back to stock levels when needed?

Sounds bonkers i know, but I guess its more wear and tear on the turbo (and the wallet) just pottering to work and back and wondered if anyone else had done it.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: Anyone Run a Turbo with no boost?

Post by Ryan S »

not quite as extreme as that but i have a setting on the controller that runs 3-4psi for when I let the missus use it, or if I need to leave it at a tyre place or whatever and know some wee idiot is gonna try and kick the crap out of it. I'd like to see the disappointment on their face :)

perfect example being letting some idiot fit skirts to it, he then proceeded to drive it to my work with no driving licence. i was fuming, buuuut he was subject to the limited boost so at least he didn't crash it.
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

sheppy wrote:not quite as extreme as that but i have a setting on the controller that runs 3-4psi for when I let the missus use it, or if I need to leave it at a tyre place or whatever and know some wee idiot is gonna try and kick the crap out of it. I'd like to see the disappointment on their face :)

perfect example being letting some idiot fit skirts to it, he then proceeded to drive it to my work with no driving licence. i was fuming, buuuut he was subject to the limited boost so at least he didn't crash it.

nobody drive mine except me or a chose few.. and my car never gets left anywhere for this to happen. for this reason
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

pistol pete wrote:
sheppy wrote:not quite as extreme as that but i have a setting on the controller that runs 3-4psi for when I let the missus use it, or if I need to leave it at a tyre place or whatever and know some wee idiot is gonna try and kick the crap out of it. I'd like to see the disappointment on their face :)

nobody drive mine except me or a chose few.. and my car never gets left anywhere for this to happen. for this reason

Yeah I'm very much of the same mindset Pete but on the odd occasion when I do have to leave the car it's nice to know they won't be able to have any fun in it :)
simpson_eh

Post by simpson_eh »

i always bring the rev limit on the hand controller down to 3k then unplug the hand controller and take it with me when it goes to garage lol
If you see an MR2 with a raised engine cover, the bottom line is it's probably faster than your car.
jon

Post by jon »

I thought the minimum boost pressure was controlled by the wastegate actuator spring? It's not possible on a stock turbo to run less than 6 or 7psi if everything's working properly.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

jon wrote:I thought the minimum boost pressure was controlled by the wastegate actuator spring? It's not possible on a stock turbo to run less than 6 or 7psi if everything's working properly.

mine must be gubbed then, this was my understanding of it too but I can run 0psi if I want no problem, or 25psi :)
androo007

Post by androo007 »

oh really, thats interesting, thanks guys.

6psi is a lot better than 12psi - so i can see a tangable good reason for having it there then - definately agree with reducing for the garage. Always some div who wants to give it some when you're not there.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

androo007 wrote:oh really, thats interesting, thanks guys.

6psi is a lot better than 12psi - so i can see a tangable good reason for having it there then - definately agree with reducing for the garage. Always some div who wants to give it some when you're not there.

Deffo man, a situation that I could not avoid in the case with the side skirts!!
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

jon wrote:I thought the minimum boost pressure was controlled by the wastegate actuator spring? It's not possible on a stock turbo to run less than 6 or 7psi if everything's working properly.

+1

min you can run is 7psi or 0.5bar

sure you can feather around 0-0.2bar or whatever, but foot down, hi-ish rpm you will reach 7psi.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Just to add to this, I also have my gain set to zero on the low boost setting, So the boost takes an age to come on. Get yourself a controller and see how you get on, obviously 7psi is supposed to be the minimum but my car seems to run anything the boost controller tells it to :thumleft:
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Interesting, thanks lads! :thumleft:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

simpson_eh wrote:i always bring the rev limit on the hand controller down to 3k then unplug the hand controller and take it with me when it goes to garage lol

I'll be doing this when my build is finished, although with a link ecu. in fact, I could just chuck it into limp mode so it makes no boost and doesn't rev past 3k. although hopefully I never have to leave the car with anyone again :lol:
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

but wont it be making full boost at idle?
:mrgreen: :eye:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

jimGTS wrote:but wont it be making full boost at idle?
:mrgreen: :eye:

Depends if I arm the launch control or not :mrgreen:
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

sheppy wrote:perfect example being letting some idiot fit skirts to it, he then proceeded to drive it to my work with no driving licence. i was fuming, buuuut he was subject to the limited boost so at least he didn't crash it.

Was this a proper body shop or a private job? :shock:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Na it was a private "painter". He did the skirts which were an awful colour match and didn't fit properly, it was at that point I decided on the AbFlug kit, if it were a few proper shop i'd have phoned the police i think.
Marf

Post by Marf »

jimGTS wrote:

+1

sure you can feather around 0-0.2bar or whatever, but foot down, hi-ish rpm you will reach 7psi.

Assuming you don't have a big exhaust. on my setup (naughty naughty t.b.d downpipe, fujitsubo RM01a exhaust) under full throttle I saw 7psi until 5000 RPM or so, then it crept to 11psi.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Must admit only skimmed the above posts .. your lowest boost setting is actuator pressure .. on a stock mr2 its about 0.5bar .. you cannot go lower with out replacing your actuator (personally 0.5bar, with lots of preload is what i go for in an actuator)

Just disconnect you boost control (bypassing) if dropping off at a garage or lock your boost controller at 0.5bar (some models , electric only)

Kev.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Marf wrote:
jimGTS wrote:

+1

Assuming you don't have a big exhaust. on my setup (naughty naughty t.b.d downpipe, fujitsubo RM01a exhaust) under full throttle I saw 7psi until 5000 RPM or so, then it crept to 11psi.

oh for sure, most will creep a little with a downpipe and/or exhaust.
some creep alot!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”