[Mk2] [Turbo] mr2 turbo coolant pipes?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

hobo

[Mk2] [Turbo] mr2 turbo coolant pipes?

Post by hobo »

hi just had a coolant pipe burst on my mr2 rev 2 turbo the long metal one that runs the length of the car :(
I was quoted 600 for the parts and a further 400+ for fitting which seems crazy to me so i thought i would ask on here for any advice. I had a look on e-bay and there are 3 sets of pipes for sale and im wondering if all mr2 coolant pipes are the same or if there is a difference in diameter between specs?
How hard are they to fit (is it a possible DIY job) what time would i be looking at?

Thanks in advance.
shinny

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] mr2 turbo coolant pipes?

Post by shinny »

I'm assuming these are the pipes from hell... ie. the 19mm pipes that go to your heater matrix, not the larger pipes that go to the radiator?
hobo

Post by hobo »

iv no idea bud. its the longest of the cooling pipes that run the length of the car according to the diagram i got from the garage,
pipes from hell doesnt sound good
DB Mr2

Post by DB Mr2 »

Hi Hobo,

***You may need to confirm the exact pipe that has burst but it is probably the pipes from hell mentioned already.*****

I too was quoted £600 from toyota.
I visited my local motor factors, picked up some pipe, unions and toyota coolant for around £60 which is a bit of a saving.
Not going to lie unless you have a fourpost ramp it is a pig of a job but i managed it in two days in the rain :(

I will try and find the diameter of the pipe i bought - but this guide was a massive help so a big thanks to the op here:

http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/198/91450.html
hobo

Post by hobo »

looking at the diagram there is smaller curved pipes its none of these, there looks only to be 2 long straitish pipes and it is one of these. not sure of diameter as im peed aff its happened when im looking for a new motorbike but thats the way of life haha.

thanks anyone know anymore?
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

hobo wrote:looking at the diagram there is smaller curved pipes its none of these, there looks only to be 2 long straitish pipes and it is one of these. not sure of diameter as im peed aff its happened when im looking for a new motorbike but thats the way of life haha.

thanks anyone know anymore?

You need to find out if they are above or below the fuel talk.
If above they are the heater pipes and can be repaired by brassing the bracket back on, or cut back and just use a longer hose.
The fuel tank will need removing to get to them.
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
hobo

Post by hobo »

Sorry it's been so long been on holiday. It's the pipes above the fuel tank not the easy ones below. Is there anyone on here selling a set or anyone know where I can get them? Or part numbers?
I seen on the last post they can be repaired but don't think my mechanic will do that so I'd rather replace them.

Thanks.
shinny

Post by shinny »

hobo wrote:Sorry it's been so long been on holiday. It's the pipes above the fuel tank not the easy ones below. Is there anyone on here selling a set or anyone know where I can get them? Or part numbers?
I seen on the last post they can be repaired but don't think my mechanic will do that so I'd rather replace them.

Thanks.

Pipes from hell then... easiest fix is to fit new 19mm rubber hose down the length of the car. :thumleft:
hobo

Post by hobo »

I've just read about that today and seems like a good option to me. How far up do they go as crack seems high on the pipe. I have seen pre made ones advertised.

Thanks
Oortam

Post by Oortam »

Where about in Scotland are you? I had this happen to me. It happened when a garage in Falkirk was checking it over and they replaced them with 19mm rubber hose. The mechanic has had an MR2 for years so he didn't waste time trying to repair it. It didn't cost a lot for them to replce them.
ashley

Post by ashley »

I've got a pair of original pipes if you want to go down that route, pm me if you're interested :thumleft:
rev2rich

Post by rev2rich »

http://www.mr2-ben.co.uk/products/view/ ... -1989-1999

Mr2Ben is a trusted trader on here
hope it helps
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

rev2rich wrote:http://www.mr2-ben.co.uk/products/view/ ... -1989-1999

Mr2Ben is a trusted trader on here
hope it helps

£85 PMSL for water 19mm water hose? I do like his complete bull write up on it though
These are an aftermarket replacement reinforced rubber pipe

No, its standard 19mm heater hose. :lol:

Go to your local motor parts place and get some and save yourself loads of ££££££'s

Or even here

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/19mm-Rubber-C ... 0306097659
ashley

Post by ashley »

Or....

ashley wrote:I've got a pair of original pipes if you want to go down that route, pm me if you're interested :thumleft:

:lol:

Return to “Mechanical”