Random wet seats in 88 MR2

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jemehan

Random wet seats in 88 MR2

Post by jemehan »

Hey guys,

quick question as it has really started annoying me... I have had wet carpet in the drivers footwell for a couple of weeks, not a puddle, just damp carpet. this morning however, I have found I have a wet seat! I was not impressed.

There is no water on the headlining above the seat, however the headlining is damp near the windscreen (which has a crack and needs replacing however I don't believe this is the issue). I have taken all of the rubber out of the door sill and it doesn't seem to be moist at all. the door pocket carpet is a little moist too at the bottom only... anyone have any ideas where the water could be coming from. I have silicone sealant for repairing it, however no idea where I would need to apply it.

HELP!

1988 UK MR2 AW11.
elbon50

Re: Random wet seats in 88 MR2

Post by elbon50 »

Is your car a T-bar model :?:
Peter

1989 MR2 Mk1 NA T-bar
1998 Ssangyong Korando GLS
2011 Honda Civic Type R
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

How did the crack in the screen get there and does it run from the top edge?

Its not uncommon for the frame at the top of the screen to rust leading to it allowing water in and in some cases it can cause the screen to crack.
jemehan

Post by jemehan »

The crack got there because I was an idiot and didn't close the Frunk properly, came up and hit the screen, got a new bonnet I just need to spray, need to replace the windscreen. It hasn't dented the roof though, only one slight bit in the middle, but that isn't what is causing the leak. The crack is in the bottom right of the windscreen.

Car is a moon window (I think they call the sunroof this because its tinted blue) model. doesn't appear to be leaking from here though... no obvious signs of excessive water, still seat and carpet fairly damp.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

The water drains from the sunroof into the front inner wings. Worse design possible. Check the drainage holes in the bottom of the inner wings (just in front of the door) are clear.

Also I extended the drainage tubes in mine so that the water goes straight out without collecting in the inner wing.

The front floor is terrible for rusting out, so pull the carpet up and check it.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
jemehan

Post by jemehan »

Thank you for that, I will check this ASAP! really could do with no rust under there, that would be a real pain. I keep putting off taking the side skirts off for the same reason.
aussieGT

Post by aussieGT »

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”