[Mk2] [Turbo] Front Shock Absorbers Question

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Shaleskin

[Mk2] [Turbo] Front Shock Absorbers Question

Post by Shaleskin »

I've got to change my front shock absorbers and currently have the standard Bilstiens all round. Only need to change the front and don't want to lower the car or the likes and have found some "standard" KYB front shocks which are used on the N/A but can be used on the Turbo as well.

Do any of you know if I put these on if I'm going to lose the confidence with the handling of the car compared to the Billies that are on it? Would the ride be softer or stay firm?

I would have thought it wouldn't matter as much as the rears as the Turbo models are heavier compared to the N/A but they're OK and also have replacement Bilstiens for the rear ready just in case.

Thanks
mrturbotom

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Front Shock Absorbers Question

Post by mrturbotom »

The bilstein struts compared to na Toyota struts are considerably softer and I wouldn't want them on my turbo,
The kyb may be similar but I would think closer spec to the Toyota struts.
I ran kyb adjustable struts on my rev 1 turbo, never seen them for sale in a long time
androo007

Post by androo007 »

No way don't mix and match. Only fit what is meant to be on the car..... You'll regret it!
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Either get a full set of uk kyb's or get new bilsteins. TCB should be able to get either.

I dont think a tubby would be that bad with a full set of uk suspension imo, the extra compliance would probably help with our roads!
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

Shaleskin

If your car is still on the original shocks the handling will be very soft even if the shocks still pass the mot and the car is low mileage.

As you already have spare billies for the rear, I would put billies on the front as well. Change your shocks and you will enjoy the car a lot more (assuming it doesn't have ditch finder budget tyres)

Return to “Mechanical”