[Mk2] [Turbo] HELP! Need to diagnose a starting problem

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Legit

[Mk2] [Turbo] HELP! Need to diagnose a starting problem

Post by Legit »

Hi all,

Basically, my car won't start. It was dead when I got to the airport parking the other night and my colleague jumped me successfully and I managed to drive home.

It was about 1 hour's motorway drive back and today, the car won't start again. I can get the head unit, lights, etc on but as soon as I turn the ignition on, everything dies (except the lights on the dash) and I hear a single click from the engine bay (I presume the starter motor).

I bought and fitted a new battery today but the problem persists. I thought new batteries came full or at least partially charged?

Any advice??

PS - my alternator belt has been squeaky for a while - not sure if this is wholly relevant but maybe the battery isn't being charged properly?

Thanks!

Matt
2mad

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] HELP! Need to diagnose a starting problem

Post by 2mad »

Bin there seen it done it ... theres a big earth strap bolted (10mm iirr) to the starter motor remove it sand the contact pach on the starter motor a earth strap .. i used a dremol and sanding drum , sand paper might work ..

If its not to coroded grabbing the strap and giving it a good wiggle works .. had to do it at the petrol station a few times :oops: .. total pain the rain tray basically drips water on to it and corrodes it .. not a great design.

Good luck, Kev.
Last edited by 2mad on Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shinny

Post by shinny »

Possibly a bad battery. Get a multimeter and check the voltage on the battery. If it reads much below 12V you could have with a shorted out cell.

Alternatively you could have a loose clamp on one of the battery terminals. I've had the exact symptoms you describe a couple of times and eventually sorted it with £10 worth of clamps from halfords:

2mad

Post by 2mad »

Shinny's lost a cell ideas a good one :thumleft: .. if its fine check the starter earth strap.
Legit

Post by Legit »

Thanks for the responses so far guys :)

I will look at cleaning up the starter motor terminals tomorrow and the ones in the frunk don't look great either.

I'll also take a photo in the light and see what you guys think :thumleft:

Return to “Mechanical”