Best coilovers on a budget

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

QUOC2008

Re: Best coilovers on a budget

Post by QUOC2008 »

Any reviews on other coilovers people have to share...?
MR2 REV 3 TURBO 450BHP
3000GT VR4 TT 500BHP
EVO X FQ360
Donato

Post by Donato »

QUOC2008

Post by QUOC2008 »

Donato wrote:You should check in here;

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=174959

:thumleft:

Thanks donato a very good post i will use...
MR2 REV 3 TURBO 450BHP
3000GT VR4 TT 500BHP
EVO X FQ360
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

QUOC2008 wrote:
ashley wrote:Do we really have to go through this all again?! It was painful enough the first time around :-#

This is a review on the coilovers of all brands postive and negative people really want to know this kinda of stuff. Its not the same as what we were talking about in the other posts as that was about which are is the best for comfort.

I have made my review on the ones i have tried and tested.

Ps: please no people posting coilovers that they havnt tried and tested and talking rubbish about things they have even used.

Ashley even you want to know what people have to say about other brands of coilovers.

Just to let you know incase you didnt click on Donato's link:

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=174959

Been here for a while :thumleft:
QUOC2008

Post by QUOC2008 »

ashley wrote:
QUOC2008 wrote:
Ashley why do you always start off negatively and i have to prove you wrong... pwr charge cooler... remember!

Not meaning to be negative, but lets be honest- we have an active thread on exactly this topic already, why do you want to start another thread on it where basically all the same stuff will get repeated?? Makes zero sense to me.

And as for the PWR charge coolers- you never proved anything, you repeated the advertising blurb that PWR have on their website about reduced resistance and decreased lag. To be absolutely clear- I am not convinced that the PWR coolers achieve the same level of cooling for the same level of pressure drop compared to other charge coolers out there. This is based on the results I have seen achieved with their cores designed for 400hp that simply didn't perform as expected, if you use a PWR core IMO you have to significantly exceed the size cores they recommend. I still can't see how your setup is less laggy than one with half the length on inlet tract, and by your own admission you don't know either.

I simply chose to stop discussing/ challenging it, and agree politely with you cos I could see it going no where fast (I didn't want to look like I was being difficult by pointing out my thoughts), and to be frank: life is too short.

But that is a different argument entirely...just making the point that you you didn't prove anything to me (IMO).

And I am still of the opinion that this repeat thread is a waste of forum space and time when we already have this thread running, albeit with a different title.

But again...all IMO, and to be fair all I have to do is stop reading and posting...which is exactly what I'm gonna do...

I'm out, but you have fun...

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://www.jonrb.com/emoticons/getmecoat.gif

Ashley i dont understand what u r saying now... are you saying these pwr cc are not better then the traditional cc and dont make any difference?

If u read some reviews on these pwr cc and u will find many reviews on these pwr saying the same.

I already explain air and water flow better and faster in straight lines in barrel shape objects then square shaped things it obvious... and you can lose alot of psi through the old style cc these pwr cc claim and review support these claims too.

And why did u post this if u didnt agree.

ashley wrote:From memory Roy Ashby used one of their cores in his drag car, so I guess they do work.

Any pictures of the finished engine bay?

Ashley im not attacking u just justifying my comments as im just a customer that has these things on my car and giving my review agree or disagree that your choice but many reviews support wat im saying too.

My setup is a hks3037rs (simular to garrett gt3076r) running 1.4bars 445.5bhp and 390lbs with a pwr cc on a very hot day... spools up from 2700rpm is that slow??? if anyone can let me know if they r running a better setup on the old style cc tell pls and i will love to learn more about it. At the end of the day its all about learning which i love doing i could be wrong i dont make these things but they do look cool and work for my setup.
MR2 REV 3 TURBO 450BHP
3000GT VR4 TT 500BHP
EVO X FQ360
ashley

Post by ashley »

QUOC2008 wrote:are you saying these pwr cc are not better then the traditional cc and dont make any difference?

ashley wrote: I am not convinced that the PWR coolers achieve the same level of cooling for the same level of pressure drop compared to other charge coolers out there. This is based on the results I have seen achieved with their cores designed for 400hp that simply didn't perform as expected, if you use a PWR core IMO you have to significantly exceed the size cores they recommend.

QUOC2008 wrote:
If u read some reviews on these pwr cc and u will find many reviews on these pwr saying the same.

I already explain air and water flow better and faster in straight lines in barrel shape objects then square shaped things it obvious... and you can lose alot of psi through the old style cc these pwr cc claim and review support these claims too.

ashley wrote:you repeated the advertising blurb that PWR have on their website about reduced resistance and decreased lag.

ashley wrote:I still can't see how your setup is less laggy than one with half the length on inlet tract, and by your own admission you don't know either.

QUOC2008 wrote:
And why did u post this if u didnt agree.

ashley wrote:From memory Roy Ashby used one of their cores in his drag car, so I guess they do work.

Any pictures of the finished engine bay?

ashley wrote:I simply chose to stop discussing/ challenging it, and agree politely with you cos I could see it going no where fast (I didn't want to look like I was being difficult by pointing out my thoughts)

Mate- I thought I explained it pretty clearly, but in all honesty you caught me in a really bad mood yesterday and in my grumpiness I bit, it was dumb of me- I should have just left it, and I apologise.

I am very happy you've found a cc system you believe in and works for you.

I am very happy you have found coil overs you love.
QUOC2008

Post by QUOC2008 »

ashley im sorry too... sounds like we hate each other even tho we dont know each other but i think we would really get along in reality lol no trouble at all ashley cool safe.
MR2 REV 3 TURBO 450BHP
3000GT VR4 TT 500BHP
EVO X FQ360
MeisterR

Post by MeisterR »

Group Hug… :mrgreen:

Jerrick
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

ashley wrote:
And as for the PWR charge coolers- you never proved anything, you repeated the advertising blurb that PWR have on their website about reduced resistance and decreased lag. To be absolutely clear- I am not convinced that the PWR coolers achieve the same level of cooling for the same level of pressure drop compared to other charge coolers out there. This is based on the results I have seen achieved with their cores designed for 400hp that simply didn't perform as expected, if you use a PWR core IMO you have to significantly exceed the size cores they recommend. I still can't see how your setup is less laggy than one with half the length on inlet tract, and by your own admission you don't know either.

The PWR charge cooler is a very poor design, completely the wrong way round for good cooling and low pressure drop.
The correct way is wide, large area for a low air speed and short.

You will learn alot if you take notice of what Ashley says, he knows what he is talking about.
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
QUOC2008

Post by QUOC2008 »

bobhatton wrote:
ashley wrote:

The PWR charge cooler is a very poor design, completely the wrong way round for good cooling and low pressure drop.
The correct way is wide, large area for a low air speed and short.

You will learn alot if you take notice of what Ashley says, he knows what he is talking about.

do you have any examples and tests results i would like to see the difference and how much can the traditional cc perform vs the pwr cc. I dont make them and what they claim could be wrong but lotus, lambo, noble, vernom etc use them as oem parts ? So why would they if they are not as good as the old style cc. Alot of testing in the usa has been done on these and works has never heated up.

Honestly i would like to know the truth not marketed hyped up product that arent as good. if these pwr cc are bs i would like to know... at the end of im just one guy with it what do i know? But its working for me if i turn up the boost i will let you know if its still keeping the temps down.
MR2 REV 3 TURBO 450BHP
3000GT VR4 TT 500BHP
EVO X FQ360

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”