Rusty Sills Finally Tackled

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Mike

Rusty Sills Finally Tackled

Post by Mike »

Been a while since I posted on the forum, but as its an affliction that most SW20 owners are facing these days I thought I'd start a thread on my attempt at tackling the dreaded rot!

So, a little background; So I bought my Rev 2 Turbo in 2005 with 54k on the clock, its covered a lot of miles in that time now sat around the 130k mark. A few years ago the dreaded rot was starting to appear on the sills and despite many warnings from my MoT tester, I was reluctant to tackle it especially after the tales of huge bills often found on here. Counter-intuitive I know but I just couldn't bear the thought.
Anyway, after spending a not insignificant amount on what turned out to be just shy of a full engine rebuild courtesy of Rogue, I was pretty much financially obliged to pull my finger out and sort out that rust!

So this is what I was faced with:
Offside
Nearside

A friend of mine has over the years taught himself how to weld to an impressively high standard. He's created a brilliant John Cleland BTCC Cavalier GSi replica out of what was once a very rotten Cavalier SRi and has done a full body rebuild on an Uno Turbo, so a price was agreed and he made the long journey down to Bath from Oldham.

Working on my drive the cutting began....

Rusty box section revealed

Rust cut away and remaining good metal treated and prep'd

New box section created

Using crispy piece of the original sill as a template

Newly crafted sill in place

Finished and painted

Close up

He did a fantastic job. The best part of 2 days work and at a fraction of the price often charged by body-shops. Hopefully the MR2 will live on for a good while longer. I hope the Mods don't mind me saying that Troy has used my old sills to create templates if anyone is interested. He's a legend in Vauxhall circles thanks to his bodywork skills.

Hope that has given other rusty-sill sufferers some cause for optimism.
MR2 Turbo Boy

Re: Rusty Sills Finally Tackled

Post by MR2 Turbo Boy »

Hey bud,

It looks like your mate has done a great job on the sills.. :thumleft:

I'm down the road from Bath in Southampton... Did he want any other business thrown his way - some sills/ repainting - fibre glass front wings/ bumper and side skirts... :thumleft:

Let me know, via pm.

Cheers
jimGTS

Re: Rusty Sills Finally Tackled

Post by jimGTS »

why isnt the new sill square?

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”