Advice needed: Bedding new pads and rotors

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

sky-net

Advice needed: Bedding new pads and rotors

Post by sky-net »

Hi there,

I've recently replaced my worn pads and rotors for a complete set of 4x EBC GD Rotors and Yellow Stuff pads

I'm bedding them softly without hard stops until i reach their first 250 miles. I've been told to do two hard stops from 110 mph to 50 mph once i've reached the initial 250 miles

Unless the rear left wheel, the other ones seems to be bedding fine.

Pls, have a look to this pic. May i have a worn piston?

The other ones seems like this one

I don't feel any kind of strange behaviour when braking anyway. Should i buy a repairing/sealing kit for my rear caliper? If so... Wich one do you suggest?

Regards!
DB Mr2

Re: Advice needed: Bedding new pads and rotors

Post by DB Mr2 »

Hi Sky,

It could be siezed caliper pistons but could also be the caliper slider bolts need regreasing? May be worth checking that first as its an easy fix?

I recently rebuilt my front calipers after noticing the n/s front wheel was very hot to touch after a long drive. (found siezed piston marked from corrosion/pitting)
I purchased a rebuild kit from BigRed and as long as you have patience and a clean bit of workspace the rebuild is fairly straightforward. Would recomend this kit.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Google "bedding in in brake pads" and watch the youtube vids .. it can be done easily .. then leave over night .. ready for the next day .. done it myself. .. works real well :thumleft:

Ps. with carbotech's ... should work with any pad .
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

You have gone for the worst make of disks and pads.
I found the disks warped in no time and the pads just just burnt up and boiled the brake fluid.

I wish you good luck but I think you will have problems

We just use stock disks and Porterfield pads, there is nothing better.
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
sky-net

Post by sky-net »

Many thanks for your advices :D

I'll have a look to the caliper sliders first. I'll go for the kit that DB said if needed.

You have gone for the worst make of disks and pads
I've read positive and negative reviews about them. After using them, i'll try to give my best and honest review

Regards!
aussieGT

Post by aussieGT »

sky-net wrote:Hi there,

I'm bedding them softly without hard stops until i reach their first 250 miles. I've been told to do two hard stops from 110 mph to 50 mph once i've reached the initial 250 miles

At my work we drive the police pursuit cars - according to the old heads the above is exactly what is not to do when bedding new pads in.

Their way is to get them fresh and do the fastish pace to a near stop four or so times.

I guess it's one of those things that many have differing opinions on but thats the way its done by my work.
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

I've been using EBCs on my Celicas since I've owned them, blacks on the 182 and yellows on the 202. The latter of the two on track. While there are def better pads out there I've not had any issues with the EBCs when combined with stock disks, personally I think they're very good for the price.

As to bedding in I use a similar routine to the one above. Braking from 30, 40, 60 mph in sequence down to 10 ish mph. Repeating each speed 4-5 times before moving up to the next.
sky-net

Post by sky-net »

Many thanks for your advices. I was told to bed that way by EBC directly. I hope to bed them properly

I've got from bigred a repair seal kit... it's kinda cheap and useful.

I have another question to ask you... As my mechanic told me i had a few missing clips like these ones:

Are these clips important? If so... Is this part number the kit i may need?

04948-17030

Best regards from Spain
Nic

Post by Nic »

Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
sky-net

Post by sky-net »

Nic wrote:Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i58.tinypic.com/2uo2t77.jpg

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i62.tinypic.com/6566bm.jpg

Many thanks Nic for those diagrams. I'm trying to find this part number at toyodiy matching my car info:

12/1989-07/1999
SW20-ACMZZ
SW20-0000702

But i don't find exactly the same reference. I'll give a call to Toyota next monday anyway to ask for this part... But i wanted to be sure i was ordering the correct ones.

Thanks again
Nic

Post by Nic »

I have the same car model (Rev3 GT 3S-GTE Coupe), the part numbers should be correct for your car.

Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
QUOC2008

Post by QUOC2008 »

oh wow... i had these pads and disc all you are going to get from ebc is problems. They are very cheaply made and the rotor/disc and pads are never dead straight from factory and get all kinds of noises and vibrations through the car from that due to the cheap materials in the disc metals and pads compounds. The yellow stuff pads are pretty bad pads actually all of the ebc stuff is bad, they dont stop the car! i usually have to use gears to slow the car down trust me i used green red yellow and they are all just crap. if you want ok pads just get pagids or if you really want good braking power carbotech ax6 will make you stop so fast that you will be watching car behind you, rather then in front of you i have them on all my cars now abit pricey but will save your life many times and last 3x longer then any of these rubbish pads. if you want good disc get giro disc or dba... you cant go wrong with these...
sky-net

Post by sky-net »

Thanks for your reply guys

So as far as i know, you say it's not a problem about the rotor and pads specifically designed to fit our tubby's... rather a low quality product.

I've heard mixed reviews about this product at mr2 forums... And nothing but positive reviews about carbotech pads.

As these pads and discs are completely new, i won't replace them before using them... But next time i won't forget your advices

Anyway, it's quite odd... as EBC has an overall good reputation at very different car owner's forums

As soon as my rear weak caliper is ready, i'll test them the hard way

Regards
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Honestly if you just use the car on the road, the oem toyota pads are more than adequate.
sky-net

Post by sky-net »

Ok... i have no doubts about the anti squeal springs. I'll buy a few of these ones.

Regarding the item labeled with number 1 in my previous photo... Might be this one?

- Spring, anti rattle - 47743-14040 + 47748-14050 (for rear brake caliper)

Thanks again! :D
Nic

Post by Nic »

sky-net wrote:

- Spring, anti rattle - 47743-14040 + 47748-14050 (for rear brake caliper)

Those are the individual part numbers for the spring clips that hold the pads into the carrier.

If you want a full set of the spring clips (8 total, 4 per side) this is the part number you need.

Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
sky-net

Post by sky-net »

Thanks Nic

I owe you a beer anytime you come down to Spain :thumleft:
QUOC2008

Post by QUOC2008 »

Yeah wear them out but make sure they dont burn up your brake fluid mine went black after a year use castrol sfr it hi
as a very high boil and dry point.
MR2 REV 3 TURBO 450BHP
3000GT VR4 TT 500BHP
EVO X FQ360

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”