[Mk2] [Generic] HeadLight Upgrade

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SteveI42

[Mk2] [Generic] HeadLight Upgrade

Post by SteveI42 »

What options are there for upgrading the light units that are UK legal? Currently have the standard units with Osram bulbs (nightbreaker?)
Would love HID but only if done properly.
As 90% of my driving is on unlit country roads I find the current set up just doesn't cut it
Thanks
aussieGT

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] HeadLight Upgrade

Post by aussieGT »

I went Raybrigs HID's installed professionally.

They just don't cut it, a nice bright light yes but nowhere near enough length of beam. Standard headlights with good quality bulbs were better.

Have a look at Hella comparison charts, traditional bulbs still have further length of beam over HID.

I bought mine for country night driving and really expected a result like Wembley stadium - maybe Wembley when the house lights are on was the reality.
shinny

Post by shinny »

The best headlights out there are the rogue quads... with Osram nightbreakers in they walk all over my previous setup of HIDs in Raybrigs :thumleft:

Also, stay away from any H4 HID kit. By design, they will always produce glare and there's no real way around that. If you're going HID, use projector lights.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Do Rogue still make the quads?
shinny

Post by shinny »

Gazza_DJ wrote:Do Rogue still make the quads?

AFAIK, yes... but better to ask them :thumleft:
aussieGT

Post by aussieGT »

shinny wrote:The best headlights out there are the rogue quads... with Osram nightbreakers in they walk all over my previous setup of HIDs in Raybrigs :thumleft:

Shinny - you confuse me in this thread - http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... highlight=

There must be no true statement!
shinny

Post by shinny »

aussieGT wrote:
shinny wrote:The best headlights out there are the rogue quads... with Osram nightbreakers in they walk all over my previous setup of HIDs in Raybrigs :thumleft:

Shinny - you confuse me in this thread - http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... highlight=

There must be no true statement!

lol... OK, let me explain:

1) They light up the road very well
2) They look great on the car and really freshed up the look
3) It annoys me when people pop them up for photos or shows just to say "Hey, I have expensive quad headlights"

Get it now? :wink:
wilkie senior
IMOC Moderator

Post by wilkie senior »

Ha ha Mark

Mine arn't Rogue but I confess i do pop them up to impress the ladies !!!!!!!!!!

thats today's double entendre, for you

come mark i know you pop your's up, on occasions! be honest now..... :lol:

oooh look mine are up in mu sig ha ha ha how did that happen?
That's a negative, Jim. I do not have the measles.
Hail Cosmos Eagle Rev 5, 1998 -
RIP White Eagle Rev 1, 1991 - 2016
shinny

Post by shinny »

wilkie senior wrote:come mark i know you pop your's up, on occasions! be honest now..... :lol:

If mine are up it's either because it's dark or because they're being worked on. Popping them up all day at a show isn't entirely my style :oops:

That said, I totally understand the temptation, as they do look awesome! :clap:

Besides, we all know I like to show mine off when it's dark :wink:
(Double entendre you say?)

SteveI42

Post by SteveI42 »

Cheers guys, looks like I'll need to speak to Rouge :thumleft:
wilkie senior
IMOC Moderator

Post by wilkie senior »

They are expensive but they are good :-)

I have a set of rogues lights, i bought for my lad (wilki) to put on his....although hes his own man now, i will keep an eye on him Mark to make sure he doesn't go "popping them up in daylight!!!!
That's a negative, Jim. I do not have the measles.
Hail Cosmos Eagle Rev 5, 1998 -
RIP White Eagle Rev 1, 1991 - 2016
shinny

Post by shinny »

wilkie senior wrote:They are expensive but they are good :-)

I have a set of rogues lights, i bought for my lad (wilki) to put on his....although hes his own man now, i will keep an eye on him Mark to make sure he doesn't go "popping them up in daylight!!!!

You know, I still owned Cosmos Eagle when i bought my set of quads... although mine were always destined for my tubby, it will be great to see the rev5 with them on :thumleft:
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

I drove for years with standard H4 bulbs. The nose cone in front of the headlights causes quite a big shadow (can be illuminated nicely by tailgaters with bright bulbs!).

Eventually I blew a bulb and tried some Hal fords uprated H4 bulbs and they were way better at somehow lighting up the shadow caused by the nose cone and also lit up the road much further ahead of the car so worth the money.

Not tried the Osrams yet, but I quite like the Hal fords Ultra brilliance/Extreme brilliance.
Best to get them when they are on sale as buy one get one free. They are worth it anyway as they last for years and help keep the car on the road!

Watch out for bulbs that have a small transparent blue ring around the bulb glass. One year they were ok at the MOT, and the next year the same tester failed them for the blue ish tint at certain angles. For amusement I put them back in just for the next MOT at the same place and they went through ok. :?

Return to “Electrical”