Speaker cables

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Superfly

Speaker cables

Post by Superfly »

Hi, changing my speakers. The original speakers have one connector with a blue cable and a green cable. The new speakers have two connections - a thin spade and a thicker one. Am I right in thinking I have to put a connector on each cable for the new speaker and if so which colour goes with which size connector? Also, to get to the rear speakers does the grill come off or do you have to take the panel off?
coanda

Re: Speaker cables

Post by coanda »

Hey, I don't think it matters which connector goes to which spade. If you get it wrong your music comes out backwards thats all. If you wanted to go all technical and shizz, theres a wiring diagram in the back of the workshop manual you can find online. Or someone will be along in a minute with the correct orientation. Pretty sure wider connection is positive.

You will need to remove the entire corner piece for best access to the over shoulder speakers. Careful, the plastics are getting brittle with age and the grills are held on with locking washers as I recall.

The grilles for the dash speakers can be removed with a.flat screw driver or preferably a plastic trim removal tool.
1988 JDM AW11 SC - In the middle of restoration and repaint.

1998 UK SW20 Rev.5 - A nice daily driver with some cool bits and pieces.
Superfly

Post by Superfly »

Mmm, cheers. Looking at the wiring diagram each speaker has different colour cabling just to confuse matters! I don't want to put the wrong size connector on the wrong cable. I know you say it shouldn't matter, I don't know. The wiring diagram doesn't seem to say what differentiates one colour from another.
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

Front left +ve : Pink, Red dash
Front left –ve : Purple
Front right +ve : Light Green, Red dash
Front right –ve : Blue
Rear left +ve : Black, Red dash
Rear left –ve : Yellow, Red dash
Rear right +ve : Red, Blue dash
Rear right –ve :White, Red dash

It does matter which way you get the positive and negative or the phase will be out.
Superfly

Post by Superfly »

Thanks. Just to clarify, larger spade is +ive?

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”