Few pics of my MR2 as it stands

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: Few pics of my MR2 as it stands

Post by Ryan S »

yeah apologies for any negativity mate, Just giving you honest answers, what you do with your car is entirely up to you and don't let anyone on here make you think otherwise :thumleft: It's a public forum for anyone to use and if we were all the same then there'd not be a lot of point coming on here :)
daviefoster9773

Post by daviefoster9773 »

I quite fancied Gulltzers lights. Whats the difference between rev 3 and rev 6? I fancy the twin headlight conversion. Think they are quite smart. Low rise headlights are cool too though.

Cheers pal. Im loving it. :)
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

daviefoster9773 wrote:I quite fancied Gulltzers lights. Whats the difference between rev 3 and rev 6? I fancy the twin headlight conversion. Think they are quite smart. Low rise headlights are cool too though.

http://www.roguesystems.co.uk/forms/Product.aspx?ID=298

not cheap mate, but not a modification you will get any grief over, everyone on here loves them :)
2mad

Post by 2mad »

daviefoster9773 wrote:I quite fancied Gulltzers lights. Whats the difference between rev 3 and rev 6? I fancy the twin headlight conversion. Think they are quite smart. Low rise headlights are cool too though.

Rev 6 is something rouge did .. they come up for sale time to time .. had them on the back of my car (see my garage) .. so i'm bias lol , loved them :thumleft:

Rear of my car .. http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/garage.php ... e_id=18579
SrSilkie

Post by SrSilkie »

Yeah man go for what you like, your car looks awesome and really isn't far off

I reckon ditch the lexus lights, polish up the exhaust and maybe look into getting a hold of a set of split rims...or even just wheels with a dish and a good offset that will sit them flush with the arches and you will have an absolute cracker!

P.s If this is your first MR2...enjoy! they really are special cars and welcome to the forum :thumleft:
Black 94' GT-S Turbo
2mad

Post by 2mad »

wikiz wrote:

P.s If this is your first MR2...enjoy! they really are special cars and welcome to the forum :thumleft:

Totally agree .. its your car, enjoy buddy :thumleft:
daviefoster9773

wikiz wrote:Yeah man go for what you like, your car looks awesome and really isn't far off

I reckon ditch the lexus lights, polish up the exhaust and maybe look into getting a hold of a set of split rims...or even just wheels with a dish and a good offset that will sit them flush with the arches and you will have an absolute cracker!

Hi, thanks for the nice words. It is my first MR2 really. Had a white n/a years back but had headgasket problems i think and i was banned at the time so i only drove it once. MR2 turbo is in a league of its own. already as fast if not faster than my 400bhp scooby bugeye i just broke. Seems to be reliable enough. Rear wheel drive is fun. Turns heads wherever it goes :) absolutely loving it. Spool up behind you and the dump valve going off is ace. Absolutely loving it.

Rev 6 look alright yeah, but i think I would rather a set of standard rev 3 lights on it. Red agaisnt the white will look smart.

Ill try the scoop on and if its not what I am after, Ill get rid. :)

Twin lamps will be a future mod for sure, watch this space lads :)
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Good for you mate .. like I said its your car .. personalize it to your taste :thumleft:

I think its a sweet car :D
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

daviefoster9773 wrote:MR2 turbo is in a league of its own. already as fast if not faster than my 400bhp scooby bugeye i just broke.

My mate had an EVO FQ360 running 395bhp, and my mr2 (around 300bhp) kept up no bother, he was gutted :D the power delivery, the noise, only having 2 seats and being so low to the ground make it an experience like no other, it's as close to a supercar as you'll get and probably better in a lot of ways, Mid 90's was the peak for performance cars as far as I'm concerned, cars weren't just made to some crappy budget, they were made to perform and to last and 30 years on they STILL look as good as anything current, in fact, There's not a lot of good looking sports cars around in the last few years except the RX8 and the GT86, both are underpowered lemons!!
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Lol, I raced an evo .. no problems keeping up :thumleft: he even flashed his lights to say i've had enough .. mr2's rule :mrgreen:
daviefoster9773

sheppy wrote:
daviefoster9773 wrote:MR2 turbo is in a league of its own. already as fast if not faster than my 400bhp scooby bugeye i just broke.

My mate had an EVO FQ360 running 395bhp, and my mr2 (around 300bhp) kept up no bother, he was gutted :D the power delivery, the noise, only having 2 seats and being so low to the ground make it an experience like no other, it's as close to a supercar as you'll get and probably better in a lot of ways, Mid 90's was the peak for performance cars as far as I'm concerned, cars weren't just made to some crappy budget, they were made to perform and to last and 30 years on they STILL look as good as anything current, in fact, There's not a lot of good looking sports cars around in the last few years except the RX8 and the GT86, both are underpowered lemons!!

When i built my scooby, it was fully forged 2.5 conversion with a Billet TD05 turbo. Was remapped etc and made 394 bhp. i thought it was the dogs danglies, but it was always broken down. Never on the road. Think you need to really be carefull with them as 9 out of 10 have had a hard time of it. Last straw was when it Sh*t the diff.

Here is a pic:

I also have a clio mk1 16valver with a williams engine in running 170bhp. Very fast little machine. Just been in for a full respray. Heres a pic of it. Extensive spec. Spent a small fortune on this wee beast. Had them since i was 18, and love them. Each to their own I guess.:

And here is the two together before the clio went in for bodywork.

Cant wait to get a photo of the clio all sprayed up clean as hell with my new black williams wheels etc next to the MR2. :)
SrSilkie

Post by SrSilkie »

Small/lightweight cars with decent power do offer a very fun driving experience, I had a Starlet GT Turbo, only had it running stock boost with a few mods so say 140hp max, weighed just shy of 900kg and what a blast I had in that. It was super reliable too over the period of time I owned it.

I always remember chasing after an Astra VXR and sticking right up its ar$e until I shifted into 4th and then it finally started to pull away!

I would love another starlet, but this time strip it out and bang on a TD04 :lol: only as a second car though =; my MR2 is number 1
Black 94' GT-S Turbo
daviefoster9773

wikiz wrote:Small/lightweight cars with decent power do offer a very fun driving experience, I had a Starlet GT Turbo, only had it running stock boost with a few mods so say 140hp max, weighed just shy of 900kg and what a blast I had in that. It was super reliable too over the period of time I owned it.

I always remember chasing after an Astra VXR and sticking right up its ar$e until I shifted into 4th and then it finally started to pull away!

I would love another starlet, but this time strip it out and bang on a TD04 :lol: only as a second car though =; my MR2 is number 1

I love starlets. Never had one though. Had a punto gt which was fast as hell. also had a renault 5 gt turbo. Think they are all uinreliable apart from the starlet though. Ive had about 6 of these wee clios. Such fun. Mine has a lot of decent parts on it too. Just need a set of discs all round, and she should be good to go. Was building for trackdays, but think it be used as fast road weekend car when the summer comes round.
SrSilkie

Post by SrSilkie »

daviefoster9773 wrote:I love starlets. Never had one though. Had a punto gt which was fast as hell. also had a renault 5 gt turbo. Think they are all uinreliable apart from the starlet though. Ive had about 6 of these wee clios. Such fun. Mine has a lot of decent parts on it too. Just need a set of discs all round, and she should be good to go. Was building for trackdays, but think it be used as fast road weekend car when the summer comes round.

Awesome! Always been a fan of the Renault 5's and Clio Williams.

You should try one they are addictive though Starlet's can be a nightmare, but it's usually people pushing to much power through stock internals or using fcd's without fuelling mods or slapping on a bigger turbo and not getting the setup right. Loads of horror stories, i guess that's why I just left mine alone haha.
Black 94' GT-S Turbo
daviefoster9773

wikiz wrote:
daviefoster9773 wrote:I love starlets. Never had one though. Had a punto gt which was fast as hell. also had a renault 5 gt turbo. Think they are all uinreliable apart from the starlet though. Ive had about 6 of these wee clios. Such fun. Mine has a lot of decent parts on it too. Just need a set of discs all round, and she should be good to go. Was building for trackdays, but think it be used as fast road weekend car when the summer comes round.

You should try one they are addictive though Starlet's can be a nightmare, but it's usually people pushing to much power through stock internals or using fcd's without fuelling mods or slapping on a bigger turbo and not getting the setup right. Loads of horror stories, i guess that's why I just left mine alone haha.

Yeah, I've heard a few myself. But most are dogged to death, boost upped as much as possible, and thrashed to death. lol. I must admit, i do fancy one :) Too many motors as is though, so for the moement, ill leave it. lol. They are cheap cheap now too
2mad

Post by 2mad »

wikiz wrote:

Me too , core showing my age now .. lol at the time i bought a ford s1 turbo .. was always very curios about the r5turbo though :thumleft:
daviefoster9773

R5 is a quick wee car. The williams is faster though, without the worry of the turbo. The 16valver I have is incredibly quick for what it is. Spanks 182's etc. Guess its the power to weight ratio.

Popular conversion to the renaukt 5 is the 1.7 turbo engine out of a vovlo 440/480 turbo. Renault built engine with volvo refinements. Easy good for 200bhp just with a richmod chip to up the boost from the standard which is about 6psi iirc.

Always fancied n rs turbo. I put an engine in my cousins xr3i. Grey mmmmm :)
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

if it were me

new wheels
new rear lights
NO scoop
remove rear fog
clean up exhaust
pull up exhaust grill
remove rear toyota badge
more sensible location for front number plate (covering up 80% of airflow to the rads is asking for trouble where it currently is)

just my 2psi.
daviefoster9773

jimGTS wrote:if it were me

new wheels
new rear lights
NO scoop
remove rear fog
clean up exhaust
pull up exhaust grill
remove rear toyota badge
more sensible location for front number plate (covering up 80% of airflow to the rads is asking for trouble where it currently is)

just my 2psi.

what do you mean by pull up exhaust grill?

Number plate, duly noted :)
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

so you don't see the grill, it bolts off but it's easier to just bend it up under the bumper :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”