[Mk2] [Turbo] Is my ECU dead? Rev2 tubby

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

lee66

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Is my ECU dead? Rev2 tubby

Post by lee66 »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:Looking at fuses is about as useful as mudguards on a tortoise.

Use a DVM and test them properly.

:lol:
When I get back home from my course tomorrow I will pull them all out and check them again with the meter :thumleft:
Apart from the ignition fuse though which I checked earlier today, is there any in particular that I should be checking, or just pull everything I see out and check them one by one?

Thanks, Lee.
lee66

Post by lee66 »

I'm going to say immobilizer because of that quote .. my guess is the 7.5 amp ecu fuse has been immobilized plus the fuel pump .. unknown if the starter has been done (don't know if a concept 650 has 2 or 3 point immobilizer).

I would be looking at the clifford from the information you have given me .

Kev.

Ps. your ecu code is for a rev1 turbo mate.

Nice one mate thank you loads for all the info/help :mrgreen: .

I have no idea where to look to disarm it myself though so I had to send it to an auto spark (which I am not too happy with tbh because he's had the car for 6 days and the only time I heard from him was when I phoned him to make sure he had my number, at which point he told me hes "almost" disarmed the immobilizer but its still not going so its probably something else wrong with it. Fingers crossed I get a bit of good news when I go see him tomorrow, or at least an answer to whats wrong with it!

Bit odd that you say my car has a rev1 ecu because a while ago I was told by somebody else that they thought my car had a rev1 engine in it lol. My car is on a 93 (L) plate so thought maybe he was wrong because surely its a late rev2 lol.
No worries anyway it still goes like sh*t off a shovel (when it works) :lol:

Thanks again for all the help :thumleft: Will reply back tomorrow when I (hopefully) find out the problem.
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Bypassing the immobilser is easy.

Somewhere in the loom, normally along the N/S sill, the two protected circuit loom wires will have been cut, and each end joined to a black immobilser wire.

Simply bypass the the immob. by joining the two wires of same colour.

Job done. 15 minutes max.
lee66

Post by lee66 »

Fantastic mate thank you so much :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I will be bringing my car home regardless tomorrow because I feel like I am getting messed about at the moment where it is, so I will check this asap :thumleft:
lee66

Post by lee66 »

Gutted :cry:

Went to see the sparky 2 days ago and he hadn't had chance to finish looking at it yet.
Anyway just had a phone call from him telling me to come in to look at it...

He has removed the Clifford alarm, still no joy, so he has checked through some of the wiring and found 2 burnt out wires that lead into the rear fuse box (hence no power going to the 7.5a fuse and 15a fuse).

He's told me that its going to be a massive job and going to cost a fortune to repair in just labour costs alone, and if it was his car he would break it for parts and try recoup some of my cash back that way.
Exactly what I did NOT want to hear! :cry: :cry: :cry:
Draven

Post by Draven »

Hmmm. 2 burnt out wires? has he elaborated on it?

If it was my car I'd personally want it back and have a good look at these burnt out wires. Normally that would only happen due to a short before the fusebox that or the fuse itself has been to high a rating and it has burned out the wire..

In that case surely a bit of replacement wire of similar gauge and an eqivilient fuse should fix the issue or at least help to narrow it down.

Unless it has actually burnt out something major like a starter motor or something else.

I really can't see the major issue or cost here??
killerferret666

Post by killerferret666 »

lee66 wrote:Gutted :cry:

Went to see the sparky 2 days ago and he hadn't had chance to finish looking at it yet.
Anyway just had a phone call from him telling me to come in to look at it...

He has removed the Clifford alarm, still no joy, so he has checked through some of the wiring and found 2 burnt out wires that lead into the rear fuse box (hence no power going to the 7.5a fuse and 15a fuse).

He's told me that its going to be a massive job and going to cost a fortune to repair in just labour costs alone, and if it was his car he would break it for parts and try recoup some of my cash back that way.
Exactly what I did NOT want to hear! :cry: :cry: :cry:

Depending where and why they are burnt out you might be able to just crimp a replacement wire to bypass the burnt out bit.

or just replace that part of the loom yourself (again depending on where its burnt out)
My Blog on Miami GT4 kit car build using MR2 Donor Car

http://miamigt4kitcar.blogspot.co.uk/

twitter for photo's as I'm building -
www.twitter.com/iwanabeaferret
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

He didn't have to remove the alarm - just bypass the immob. wires.

No big deal on what he's found. Find reason for damage.

Then replace body loom or repair damaged wires. All done in couple of hours.
Draven

Post by Draven »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:He didn't have to remove the alarm - just bypass the immob. wires.

+1 This.. :thumleft:
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:He didn't have to remove the alarm - just bypass the immob. wires.

Bit late to the party ... what Pete and Draven said :thumleft: .. worst comes to worst replace the chassis loom .. Don't scrap the car because a wire burned out [-X .. Any competent sparky would have replaced the wires and fault finded why they burned out in the first place (I would have).
lee66

Post by lee66 »

What he basically told me was I would need to replace the whole loom, and then it might do it again because there could be a problem elsewhere. And labour costs alone would make it not really worth while.

Where the burnt out wires are is just a few cm away from the fusebox, but he said I would need to trace all that wiring back to where the wiring was 'good' and to do that id need the engine out etc etc.

Going to pick the car up in a min so will get some piccys and try show where it is.
Really hope I can do something to fix it though as I don't want to strip my car for bits :cry:
2mad

Post by 2mad »

I would replace the wires that burned out.. run the car checking amperage through those wires .. if they burn out again dig a little deeper .. I would not through in the towel now ](*,)
Draven

Post by Draven »

Yup get the car back.. take some pictures.

If you were closer to me i'd happily come and help. Wiring is always a bit of a bu88er. But if you take your time and trace the wiring back.

You'll probably find that the sleeving on the wire at some point in it's travel has degraded and bared wire to the bodywork which as burned the wire out at the fusebox..

If that makes sense.
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

lee66 wrote:What he basically told me was I would need to replace the whole loom, and then it might do it again because there could be a problem elsewhere. And labour costs alone would make it not really worth while.

Where the burnt out wires are is just a few cm away from the fusebox, but he said I would need to trace all that wiring back to where the wiring was 'good' and to do that id need the engine out etc etc.

Sorry, but he's talking b0ll0x. Engine out? What is he on? :shock:

The rear fuse boxes supply very few circuits, so easy to find the high current flow. And therefore easy to correct.

We'd have the whole problem done and dusted in a morning.
Draven

Post by Draven »

Yup if you've got a multimeter (not an altimeter) then with a little time and patience you'll be able to solve the problem. It would probably take me a few hours longer than pete..
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Draven wrote:Yup get the car back.. take some pictures.

If you were closer to me i'd happily come and help. Wiring is always a bit of a bu88er. But if you take your time and trace the wiring back.

You'll probably find that the sleeving on the wire at some point in it's travel has degraded and bared wire to the bodywork which as burned the wire out at the fusebox..

If that makes sense.

It absolutely does :thumleft: .. I also would be so in for this if we wernt miles apart .. keeping it simple - start by replacing the burned out wires and see if it happens again .
2mad

Post by 2mad »

At worst replace the chassis loom .. engine outs crazy .. I just dont think he wanted to put the work in .. crazy.
Draven

Post by Draven »

2mad wrote:At worst replace the chassis loom .. engine outs crazy .. I just dont think he wanted to put the work in .. crazy.

Yup this is my opinion. I should imagine it just seemed like to much hard work.
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

Draven wrote: (not an altimeter)

I think that's what the sparky was using. :lol:
2mad

Post by 2mad »

At the end of the day , sparky has got payed .. not bothered to do the hard work and passed the buck .. i'm so angry, i would have done this no win no fee =; .. hope we can help you op .

Return to “Electrical”