Help please.

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SonicSW20

Re: Help please.

Post by SonicSW20 »

sheppy wrote:
Draven wrote:You might be able to pick up a spare engine on here worst comes to the worst.

I scrapped a perfectly good rev3 NA engine not that long ago too :( if you can pick up a whole car for 700 these days then an engine shouldn't be too much.

Actually, my wee one's 2 now so it was ages ago.

I'll be doing the same. It would probably cost me more in hiring the crane and time to get the engine / gearbox out than I'd get selling it. That's if I could even sell it, no one wants a 145k NA engine!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

you never know, do a compression test, if it's in good health the miles are irrelevant, donate it to this chap :thumleft:
sonic_mr2

Post by sonic_mr2 »

The bits I could feel are like grains of sugar. I think the engine is still good personally with good acceleration and not real worrying sounds.
I will give her a service, gives me chance to get intimate.
On another note. I have just discoverd some pretty nasty rot in the rear arches.
Jobs mounting up :(
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Sounds like you should have gave it a much more thorough inspection before buying it man, don't feel too bad, i never even test drove my current one! I do have the luck of the devil though :)
sonic_mr2

Post by sonic_mr2 »

sheppy wrote:Sounds like you should have gave it a much more thorough inspection before buying it man, don't feel too bad, i never even test drove my current one! I do have the luck of the devil though :)

I didnt really know what to look for to be honest. Sills and body are solid engine and gear box seem to working well. I checked the arches before buying but not the inner arch because I thort they was plastic ''doh''. Also forgetting to check the oil is unforgivable.
MartinF

Post by MartinF »

What are the chances that the previous owner over filled the oil to try and hide a problem :-k
Blue Lexus RCF
Black MKIV UK Manual Supra
Green MK2 MR2 Tin Top
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

MartinF wrote:What are the chances that the previous owner over filled the oil to try and hide a problem :-k

that's exactly what I thought, get the oil and filter changed and do a compression test.
sonic_mr2

Post by sonic_mr2 »

sheppy wrote:
MartinF wrote:What are the chances that the previous owner over filled the oil to try and hide a problem :-k

that's exactly what I thought, get the oil and filter changed and do a compression test.

My thoughts exactly.
I had the worse sinking feeling as soon as I seen the dip stick. :(
Thanks for the advice. I will let you all know the results
I was wondering, would a rebuild make financial sense?
Does anyone have any idea of how much regularly gets spent on a engine rebuild?
Draven

Post by Draven »

Cost to rebuild depends on lots of factors and how much you do yourself.

Some would argue that it simply isn't worth rebuilding an N/A engine.
sonic_mr2

Post by sonic_mr2 »

Draven wrote:Cost to rebuild depends on lots of factors and how much you do yourself.

I would only replace damged parts.

Having a sweet n/a engine is enough of a reason for me. I have noticed n/a's are becoming rarer and I think thats because the turbos are more desireable.
That said having an original n/a really appeals to me.
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

sonic_mr2 wrote:
Draven wrote:Cost to rebuild depends on lots of factors and how much you do yourself.

Having a sweet n/a engine is enough of a reason for me. I have noticed n/a's are becoming rarer and I think thats because the turbos are more desireable.

Sorry to hear about your worries. Just a bit of advice, if it was a trader take it back, if it was a private seller your goosed unfortunately.
Whether you want to do a rebuild or not depends on problem, it could be hundreds, maybe even over a thousand if the problem lies deeper..
So id say find the issue, calculate costs and if its going to be a big bill, do a transplant of a good solid engine, even a turbo engine with good compression etc.
A rev2 turbo would be a good place to start looking :thumleft:
Hopefully its not too serious though.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Gullzter wrote:
sonic_mr2 wrote:

Sorry to hear about your worries. Just a bit of advice, if it was a trader take it back, if it was a private seller your goosed unfortunately.
Whether you want to do a rebuild or not depends on problem, it could be hundreds, maybe even over a thousand if the problem lies deeper..
So id say find the issue, calculate costs and if its going to be a big bill, do a transplant of a good solid engine, even a turbo engine with good compression etc.
A rev2 turbo would be a good place to start looking :thumleft:
Hopefully its not too serious though.

got to agree with this, much easier and cost effective to buy another engine and have it fitted than mess about rebuilding it. whether it be NA or turbo.
sonic_mr2

Post by sonic_mr2 »

Thanks for the advice.
Would a rev 1 engine slip in as easy as a rev 2?

Sorry if my questions seem silly
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

sonic_mr2 wrote:Thanks for the advice.
Would a rev 1 engine slip in as easy as a rev 2?

Sorry if my questions seem silly

A 3sge would, the underpowered FE wouldn't be worth the bother.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”