Sell, break, repair?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Racer7

Sell, break, repair?

Post by Racer7 »

Hello,

After 2 years of non-use, I finally put my 2 through the MOT thinking it might pass. It failed...

• Front brake application uneven
    Rear brake application uneven
    Nearside rear brake excessively fluctuating
    Exhaust emissions excessive
    No CAT (argh! thought they wouldn't notice)
    Nearside brake pads less than 1.5mm
    Offside front Macpherson strut has excessive movement at upper
    Nearside steering gaiter split

Advisories were tyre wear and nearside and offside front brake fluctuating.

They advised me that I was better off getting rid of the car. Now since in the last 6 months I have just fitted a new alternator, cambelt and associated bits in that area (tensioner, pulley and another belt) of which has seen less then 50 miles of driving use) it irks me somewhat to do so.

I realise selling would see me no get a lot - but at least I'm free of the potential money pit (next is the sills on both sides that need doing)

Breaking could potentially see me make more (especially with a few nice things that the Rev5 has) but the trouble is how likely are those parts to go as we approach winter.

Repair - seems only worth it from a nostalgia point of view. I hardly drive it but I do love the MR2. I have fallen out of love with it somewhat but I suspect this might be because I don't care much for driving and also just have hardly driven it! That said, when I look at it. I do think it is a thing of beauty!

Would appreciate some opinions as I think with the imminent sill work (currently got through thanks to my sideskirts covering a 10p sized hole) it's becoming more important to think about stick or twist.

Cheers!
Last edited by Racer7 on Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
synXero

Re: Sell, break, repair?

Post by synXero »

It's a car. A 90s one. Any machine this age, especially one unused for 2 years, is going to have some faults. What I would say is the majority of your faults aren't major ones.

So, your three options:

Break: you could do this. You'll get cash for the spoiler and the rear lights, and any body panels that someone happens to need to replace. For your doors if they're good. Some change money for the rest, really. I'm assuming this car is an N/A...?

Sell: You won't get anything for it. Sub £500. There are still a huge number of MR2s available so I regret to say that they are scarcely worth selling unless they're in good condition. Just my experience.

Repair: IMO, your best bet. Even if you're going to sell it, you'll get some use out of the car in the interim and you will never sell it with issues and no MOT - at least not for anything more than beer money.

Your MOT fails are generally easy to work out, generally speaking. The sills can possibly wait until they are really needed, as those will cost a bob or two admittedly.

It sounds like you'd want to refurb all four brakes, which doesn't have to cost a lot. I would suggest picking up 4x calipers. If they come with pads, and or discs, bonus. Inspect, replace boots if necessary, grease, fit. If no new pads, you'll have to buy new ones by the sounds. Cheap! With buying new used callipers, refurbing, and selling your existing ones - I'd imagine you'd spent net £100 or something in the area of. Depends on the deal you find.

Next up your emissions, decat and lack of use are inextricably linked. Get a cat pipe on it, or if you must retain the decat, find a friendly tester. I would recommend you invest in a second hand cat pipe/exhaust system, or find a high-flow sports cat type deal. This will probably cost a little bit of cash - but there are a lot of second hand exhausts available, and a surprising number of people that fit the decat pipe. Correspondingly, a lot of cat pipes in people's garages :thumleft: bear in mind old originals may be rotten... You takes your chances! For the cat pipe you shouldn't pay much - there is almost no demand for them. £30? New would cost a great deal. An aftermarket cat could be had cheaply second hand. Bear in mind a cheapo second hand OEM cat could rot quickly. Also bear in mind emissions issues could be linked to degraded service components - if you're serious about a repair, you'll no doubt tackle these anyway!

Suspension issues could cost a little bit again. One new strut won't set you back a fortune, but then you'll have mismatched struts on the same axle - possibly not a problem, but could make for dodgy riding if one is significantly better than the other 3... Plenty of second hand shocks lying around people's garages, too - look for anyone with coilies fitted, or any breaking car! Probably £50. Not sure - look around - and be sure to get a match with your current shock/spring set up.

Nearside steering gaiter - buy new from Toyota. Prices pretty random. You'd have to contact your local arm of Toyota.

Financially, it's just your call. Net profit easy with a breaker - but you'll have a semi-broken car on your hand for ages, or loads of parts lying around your house once you weigh the car in. Fine if that's the right decision! Selling it as-is is generally a no-go. Untaxed (new rules), un-driven for 2 years, un-MOTable, and by your own confession needing a lot of work. You'll be lucky to see £200 for it. If you repair it, you add value, and you get the pleasure (if you like these things) of doing the repairs, and the pleasure of seeing your old car resurrected :thumleft:
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

If the car is otherwise good, rust is in control etc, then I'd fix it. As synXero said, getting a big list after an MOT can look a bit daunting, but to be honest all of that stuff is easily fixable.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Not even that big a list, if you were driving it the last 2 years the brakes would probably have needed done anyway. Sure there used suspension in the for sale section just now. Discs and pads are pennies. What year is the car? And is it a turbo? Pre 95 turbo can't really fail emmsions as.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

I've got a full set of rev3 turbo bake calipers for sale , + maybe even free rear brake discs if it saves your car for certain death.

Dont kill another 2 :cry:
Last edited by 2mad on Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

sheppy wrote:Not even that big a list, if you were driving it the last 2 years the brakes would probably have needed done anyway. Sure there used suspension in the for sale section just now. Discs and pads are pennies. What year is the car? And is it a turbo? Pre 95 turbo can't really fail emmsions as.

I'm assuming it's the Rev5 NA listed in his garage.

That won't pass the emissions test decatted, even if we ignore the visual test!
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Agreed .. Buy a cat and save a 2 :D

Sick of people scraping nice motors :cry:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Yeah, it really is a pretty minimal list of things mate, just seems more as it's all at once :(
Racer7

Post by Racer7 »

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies. Especially synxero.

I've spoken to Pacific Works and we're going to cost it up.

I'm defo not one for scrapping MR2s. As said I think it's that I haven't driven it for such a long time (short of the alternator/cambelt work) that I'm not getting a sense feeling happy owning it.

I am aware however that there are likely better condition MR2s out there that I could start from rather than finding one problem after the next.

Yep, it is the car in my garage profile. I spoke to one tester at a garage who gave me the impression that 'whose to say what a CAT looks like'. Seems the garage I took mine to were a bit more strict!
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Hopefully you can get the parts you need from ebay, this forums braking section and sales for parts.. hope you can sort it :thumleft: .. Hopefully it want be one problem after another 8-[

Ps. Breaking a car is a major pain in the a$$.. I broke my car .. took about 2 years :(
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Racer7 wrote:Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies. Especially synxero.

I've spoken to Pacific Works and we're going to cost it up.

I'm defo not one for scrapping MR2s. As said I think it's that I haven't driven it for such a long time (short of the alternator/cambelt work) that I'm not getting a sense feeling happy owning it.

I am aware however that there are likely better condition MR2s out there that I could start from rather than finding one problem after the next.

Yep, it is the car in my garage profile. I spoke to one tester at a garage who gave me the impression that 'whose to say what a CAT looks like'. Seems the garage I took mine to were a bit more strict!

Some might let the visual test slide, but a decatted Rev5 won't pass the emissions test anyway, CO will be too high.
uglee

Post by uglee »

Your brakes are goosed that's the main stuff.

Personally I'd avoid 2nd hand calipers, they only lead to issues sooner rather than later. This is what £230 at big redd did to my calipers:
And they were absolutely shot at! Went for the silver zinc coat and they are like new.

A new set of front top mounts and a steering gaitor and a 2nd hand cat for MOT and you're away. So maybe £600-700 spend to keep the car good for quite a few years seems like a no brainer to me.

Breaking is a pain in the ar$e, believe me! Hopefully you'll get it sorted.
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

Spend the money fixing those issues (nothing major) if you are planning on keeping the car for a good while longer, otherwise break it, unfortunately selling wont see the same money from breaking but obviously breaking is a pain in the backside
Racer7

Post by Racer7 »

uglee wrote:Your brakes are goosed that's the main stuff.

Personally I'd avoid 2nd hand calipers, they only lead to issues sooner rather than later. This is what £230 at big redd did to my calipers:
Image Replaced With URL For Quote [url]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/leewa79/temporary_zpsb26c2163.jpg[/URL]
And they were absolutely shot at! Went for the silver zinc coat and they are like new.

A new set of front top mounts and a steering gaitor and a 2nd hand cat for MOT and you're away. So maybe £600-700 spend to keep the car good for quite a few years seems like a no brainer to me.

Breaking is a pain in the ar$e, believe me! Hopefully you'll get it sorted.

Did the price above include everything? Calipers, carriers and all the gubbins? Also did you send your old ones back in?

If I went this route I'd be hoping to send Toyota OEM in and get Toyota OEM back out.

Can't get into that section on BiggRed so hence the questions.
Draven

Post by Draven »

I'm also interested in the above. I am thinking of getting mine done
Nic

Post by Nic »

This is what I was quoted last year by Biggred to completely refurbish/rebuild a set of calipers.

front calipers £119 per pair (standard finish)

rear calipers £139 per pair (standard finish)

caliper slider brackets £10 per pair (standard finish)

2-3 day turn around time.

powder coating costs an extra £40 per pair of calipers, turn around time 7-10 days
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Nic wrote:This is what I was quoted last year by Biggred to completely refurbish/rebuild a set of calipers.

front calipers £119 per pair (standard finish)

rear calipers £139 per pair (standard finish)

caliper slider brackets £10 per pair (standard finish)

2-3 day turn around time.

powder coating costs an extra £40 per pair of calipers, turn around time 7-10 days

That's really good. The best price I could find from a motor factor for front calipers was £120 a side, with a £50 rebate on exchange of old caliper.
Nic

Post by Nic »

Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
Racer7

Post by Racer7 »

Any one got the part number for the nearside steering gaiter?

Toyota not too helpful with these things.

Ta

Just got off the phone with Toyota, £35 +VAT for one side - are they taking the mick?

How much difference would I see with OEM vs third party?
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

I ordered one about 2days ago, also got one last year which was fine and they give a 2 year warranty :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”