FULLY FORGED - New pics of the car (page36) + 1/4 mile times

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

GeorgeL

Re: FULLY FORGED - New pics of the car (page36) + 1/4 mile times

Post by GeorgeL »

'98 Rev5 Turbo (GEO 1S)

TOTB13 RWD 1/4mile 1st place
TOTB14 RWD 1/4mile 3rd place (Misfiring)
TOTB15 RWD 1/4mile 2nd place (HG Failure)
TOTB16 RWD 1/4mile 1st place
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

Ive not been excited for a while now, its kind of worn off now tbh.
I will probably be excited when i get it back and get some boost, but deep down im wanting a bigger turbo very soon, its just a matter of freeing up funds, which is why im no longer going to consider keeping the beams once i get the turbo back.
I have had a few people contact me about that aswell, 1 of which is interested in keeping the car as 1 piece which is great news but whatever deal may happen will obviously need to suit me in terms of my original reason of buying it other than to run about in :mrgreen:
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

It'll all come back to you once you get it back buddy :) don't worry!

If you are wanting to go down the 500hp+ route then I've got a nice snail coming up for sale mate.

It would be much better if you did manage to sell it as a complete car... Would be nice for it to stay as one and be driven away.. Although there is more money in breaking them :-k
'98 Rev5 Turbo (GEO 1S)

Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

I know, i have to recieve a serious offer to keep it complete as i have already started doing research on how much the Beams engines and box go for :lol:
The box is some serious stuff aswell but i reckon too much work to make fit a turbo :roll:

Ill be in touch about it then, its all dependant on the Beams freeing up some funds though. Once ive got rid of it i should have a bit of money to play with :thumleft:
ashley

Post by ashley »

Gullzter wrote:I know, i have to recieve a serious offer to keep it complete as i have already started doing research on how much the Beams engines and box go for :lol:
The box is some serious stuff aswell but i reckon too much work to make fit a turbo :roll:

Ill be in touch about it then, its all dependant on the Beams freeing up some funds though. Once ive got rid of it i should have a bit of money to play with :thumleft:

What's different about the box? Didn't realise they were anything special...
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

Turbo has a e153 and beams has s54, afaik and from what ive been told they would need major modification to work with the turbo
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

:lol: A few things happening in the distant future but news of that will be some time after i get the car back :lol:

Other than that decided im going to return the Beams back to stock but leave the Phoenix Power manifold and exhaust on and apexi ecu and commander and hks induction and then will sell it on :|
So anyone interested in a beams pm me :roll:
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

I wanna know :shock:
'98 Rev5 Turbo (GEO 1S)

Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

GeorgeL wrote:I wanna know :shock:

:eye:
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

Looks to me like the old engine has beeen dropped :eye:

More news hopefully not too distant future then i may share my spec list of the build once it is back with me :thumleft:
Last edited by Gullzter on Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

Nothing to mention just now apart from the car still isnt ready.
Unfortunately rebuilding an engine and transferring it to another car should not take the 8months it has so far had.
For that reason i have decided to seek advice to take matters to the next level as opposed to the constant calling and texting that i do on an almost daily basis and half the time being blanked.

This has been an unfortunate trip for myself which started with so much excitement and trust put into Peter Gidden from the start brought to well below level zero!
The lack of urgency is to say the least, Shocking.
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Gullzter wrote:Nothing to mention just now apart from the car still isnt ready.
Unfortunately rebuilding an engine and transferring it to another car should not take the 8months it has so far had.
For that reason i have decided to seek advice to take matters to the next level as opposed to the constant calling and texting that i do on an almost daily basis and half the time being blanked.

This has been an unfortunate trip for myself which started with so much excitement and trust put into Peter Gidden from the start brought to well below level zero!
The lack of urgency is to say the least, Shocking.

Munir. I've already apologised for the delays, but since you've posted here, i'll explain again.

First, as you'll remember, you brought the car down at your convenience, knowing i had Craig's car to finish first. That was finished early June.

Your car came in, and engine was dropped week or so after i returned from Le Mans. Meanwhile we had Kong's short block to fully rebuild for you. I'll admit right now getting the block cleaned properly post-fire was a bigger task than expected. We can't sand blast it, and it took a couple of weeks to find a company that could hot tank and media blast it back to new.

Second problem was an unexpected problem with a piston. Looks like Kong had a spark plug tip break off, and it would not have been right to not replace it. No UK dealer would sort me a single CP piston, and CP by email wouldn't either. In the end i phoned CP, and as you know, a new piston turned up 10 days or so ago.

Next problem is HKS have discontinued their 1mm 87.5mm head gasket. Took me weeks to find one for Ash, and even longer to find one for you. Which finally arrived again, about 10 days ago.

Both the above problems could easily been sorted by using the original piston and an incorrect head gasket, but neither would have been the correct thing to do.

So, right now, engine is built. I am only waiting for the 2 5S hoses from hell, which have been back ordered since June! They were due IIRC yesterday or Monday. I'll chase the dealer tomorrow.

As you know, when we separated your gearbox from your old engine last week ready for hooking up your new engine, the starter motor bolts were seized solid in the gearbox casing. Despite plenty of heat, one snapped. Your gearbox is currently at the machine shop awaiting the broken bolt being drilled out.

To make up for the delays i've already offered to replace your driver's door that has a 3" rust hole in FOC.

I've also had your head hot tank cleaned, replaced valve stem oil seals, reground valves FOC prior to fitting Kong's GCS cams and shimming.

As soon as i have the gearbox back and the two hoses from hell, your car will be back on the road within 3 working days.

I will not compromise on the quality of the job. Again, i apologise for the delays, and have, or thought i had, made up for those delays.

Admittedly, you didn't know about your head work, but i'll post up photos in the morning.

I'll update you on both outstanding issues tomorrow.

All your calls and messages have been replied to within 24 hours. Last contact was last Friday, with promise to update you when machine shop get onto your gearbox.
Last edited by Peter Gidden on Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

To be honest Peter I didnt feel comfortable posting on here however now that it has been done, I feel I should take the opportunity to say the reason I am most dissapointed is I would have expected that anything needed ie shims and that you are/were waiting on, head gasket etc, would have been ordered long ago, and any preparations would have been taken on earlier to account for delays.
I understand I was waiting on Craig's car to be finished, I was in no way un-reasonable about this during his build, and I also did say I would hope things would progress after LeMans as you were on holiday.
I have sent an email and I shall wait on your reply but as I mentioned in my previous email at the weekend, I now feel that anything else required/on order should be delivered in an appropriate timescale as opposed to 6-8weeks like the piston rings had taken.
I am without a car now too.

I am not un-reasonable and as I say, will wait on you reply.
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

Gullzter wrote:To be honest Peter I didnt feel comfortable posting on here however now that it has been done, I feel I should take the opportunity to say the reason I am most dissapointed is I would have expected that anything needed ie shims and that you are/were waiting on, head gasket etc, would have been ordered long ago, and any preparations would have been taken on earlier to account for delays.
I understand I was waiting on Craig's car to be finished, I was in no way un-reasonable about this during his build, and I also did say I would hope things would progress after LeMans as you were on holiday.
I have sent an email and I shall wait on your reply but as I mentioned in my previous email at the weekend, I now feel that anything else required/on order should be delivered in an appropriate timescale as opposed to 6-8weeks like the piston rings had taken.
I am without a car now too.

I am not un-reasonable and as I say, will wait on you reply.

I agree, you have not been unreasonable. And i hope you feel better now that we've spoken on the phone.

Just to clarify, all engine parts required from Toyota (except shims) were ordered back in June, and 90% arrived within the normal 2-3 days. The 2 HFHs were back ordered several times but at the time were not important, plus there was nothing i could do to get them quicker.

Talk tomorrow. :thumleft:
Draven

Post by Draven »

Sounds like Pete is doing all he can to get your car sorted mate. Some times things can take much longer than planned especially with parts that are getting harder to get a hold of. I had a similar problem with a Toyota Dealer where they took nearly 4 weeks to get a part that should have taken 3 days.

:thumleft: From what i've read here I'd say Pete is doing his best but some times things don't go to plan when building a car up.
rev3turbo

Post by rev3turbo »

pistol pete wrote:Peter Does not moderate his own posts that is left to other moderators to discuss and decide..

you mean redmr2?

pistol pete wrote:

Please keep on topic now rather than flaming the mods,

I was on topic in the first place, if things hadnt been removed there wouldnt be questions, thats surely clear?

but yes, back on topic indeed
Last edited by rev3turbo on Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Posts removed and thread cleaned ,yep lets keep this on topic now please

slipping clutch

Post by slipping clutch »

Gullzter, sorry to read this about your motor problems but just wanted to confirm something Peter has stated - HKS have indeed,as far as I have been made aware, discontinued that head gasket - I was looking for ages for one and the best advice any of HKS's dealers could give was phone/email around and see if anyone had any 'new old' stock.I didn't get lucky and went with a different thickness in the end ( please not lots of posts about my compression ratios now being wrong)
Don't want to comment on the other points you've made its not my place- that's between you and Sbits however the headgasket mentioned can be problematical to source.
I know from experience how massively frustrating it can be waiting for a third party to complete work for you can be especially when its something you are passionate about and some times it can just boil over. Hope you get the motor/car back soon and its all you wanted it to be - lets face it - as soon as you drive it up on boost there will be a smile on your face for sure with Kongs old motor pushing you along. Best of luck with it.
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

I have had a chat with Peter over the phone yesterday evening and today and had emails so we have agreed to work on the same hymn sheet which was an agreemant both of us.
So for now things seem to be working smoothly, will update again in next few days.
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:I've also had your head hot tank cleaned, replaced valve stem oil seals, reground valves FOC prior to fitting Kong's GCS cams and shimming.

Admittedly, you didn't know about your head work, but i'll post up photos in the morning.

Return to “Member Profiles”