[Mk2] [NA] Best way to improve handling and predictability?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

shinny

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Best way to improve handling and predictability?

Post by shinny »

synXero wrote:A point on stickier tyres, R888 et al...

Doesn't this really just heighten the point of no return? You get way more lateral and accelerative grip, but once you pass it as you inevitably can push to, you're completely fcuked at 70mph sideways instead of what might've been 30mph sideways. For example.

Well, that's the same for almost any handling improvement :wink:

I've so far found that, on the road, R888s provide more grip than I can safely use on the road. There are limits to the speed you can take road features simply to be able to see and react to hazards... I found that R888s could cope with that just fine. I chose not to drive R888s on the road because they encourage me to drive road features so fast that I couldn't react to any hazard I encountered.

If you're going to drive beyond the limits of your tyres then you're going to have an off sooner or later, and if you surpass the limits of R888s then that's probably going to be a pretty substantial shunt! However you've got to be driving extremely hard and recklessly to do so, IMHO.
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

BALDYMONSTER wrote:Didn't ignore it, I want to run 17's with 255's.

I have always run big rubber on all my modded cars. Yes they tramline, yes it can be a hassle to get it just right etc but it would be somewhat boring if we all did the same things with our MR2's or whatever cars we own and mod.

255's on rolled arches and spaces right out on a lowered MR2 looks brilliant from the rear. Awesome grip as well.

I know the pros and cons guys, I'm bald, not stupid.

Well it sounds like you dont need any help then! :thumleft:
gavsdavs

Post by gavsdavs »

shinny wrote:That said, the best improvement is certainly driver training. You can improve every car you ever drive by improving yourself :thumleft:

I'm with shinny on this, best money you can spend.
If you want an mr2 to let go progressively, use the gt86 philosophy and fit skinnier tyres, not bigger ones.
fingers99

Post by fingers99 »

For outright predictability, I'd avoid a rear, transverse engined, car. Period.

Go for FWD, something without lift off oversteer.

You can neuter the 2 by adding in extra rear toe in, but at some point you'd have to wonder if something like a FIAT Barchetta wouldn't be a better choice.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Was the question not how to improve handling and predictability? Why ask then insist on chucking 17s with 255 on? Best way to improve it is to stick the stock wheels with decent tyres on. The closest i've come to this is 16s with 215 front and 225 rear 7 and 8 inch wide :thumleft:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

That being said i've had 18 inch with 225 and 245s on. Handled fine for road use.

Return to “Modifications”