ok might have made a mistake , regarding fixing my turbo...help

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

pope_acute

ok might have made a mistake , regarding fixing my turbo...help

Post by pope_acute »

ok, so crankshaft and centre bearings were wrecked on 96 rev4 turbo.

bought donor engine, n/a (it was at this point i never realised my mistake)

mech stripped it down, gonna just use block and port everything over, he gave me shopping list, full gasket set, engine block bolts, thrust bearing kit, etc.

only he text's me today saying there is no oil feed for turbo. Upon researching today n/a to turbo questions i see lots of remarks regarding oil feed pipe.

Looking advice, can i take a feed from the oil pump some how? should i just use old block with new donor cam and buy a new set of oversized bearings?

i'm financially annoyed with car, just had both sills rebuilt small fortune, then this happens, paid a years insurance and the renewal just came around and i have only driven up and down my road in it.

wife is telling me just to dump it but i can't after spending all that money on it,plus i still like it. i'm going to keep it, she doesn't know that yet though.

any help appreciated
](*,)
Last edited by pope_acute on Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: ok might have made a mistake , regarding fixing my turbo...help

Post by Ryan S »

Get rid of wife :thumleft:
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

I'm confused - you meant to buy a turbo engine but bought an NA lump by accident and are now just going to turbo that? :lol:
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

Don't think turboing a na is really a simple or worthwhile task? You cannot rebuild one with the other.
shinny

Post by shinny »

+1

I'm a little surprised you've got this far using a 3s-ge block with 3s-gte parts! Doesn't sound like a recipe for success to me.

However, to answer your question, if you can't find an appropriate hole in the block and you have a rev3+ oil pan, you could use on of these ports. They're 3/8 BSP, so you could get an adapter to feed into a braided oil line to the turbo.

Bear in mind those locations are before the stock oil cooler, meaning the oil going into your turbo will be a little hotter than Toyota intended. However, with a water cooled turbo like the CT20b, that probably won't really be an issue.
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Dump the N/A block. Turbo blocks have piston squirters as well as turbo oil outlet.

If you choose to rebuild your old engine, have block totally hot tank cleaned with all oil gallery plugs removed. Have crankshaft carefully checked and ground if necessary. Have cam journals in head checked carefully - head may be a write-off. If any big ends went, have big end in hod checked for roundness.

In other words, with any internal engine failure, all components need very carefully checking, and then full rebuild.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

How can you accidentally buy a Na engine?
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

jimGTS wrote:How can you accidentally buy a Na engine?

Reminds me of Chief Inspector Dreyfus:

"How can a blind man be a lookout?" :lol:
pope_acute

Post by pope_acute »

cheers for replies(get rid of wife not a bad idea lol),

it wasn't an accidental buy, my intention was just to take the crankshaft from it and put it back into my rev4 block. But i never knew that each camshaft is specific for each block. And if i were to use it you need oversized bearings, which is not ideal. Then i read on a celica forum that you could have a lower 3s-ge rev2 block with a rev4 upper, as the walls on the rev2 were thicker, or something to that effect.

So then the only thing i intended to use was the block, i got the whole engine for £100. The rev2 does have piston oil squirters as i read that it hadn't as well but it actually does, which at that point would have been a show stopper.

Apparently everything else is sweet and this is the only issue for completion is the turbo oil feed. Shinny i'll pass your info on to him and see what he says thanks.

I maybe went about this the wrong way. I thought about getting the rev 4 crankshaft re skimmed as it was all scored but then you have to get it dipped with special coating that can make it brittle, then bearings might not fit maybe?

i guess it seems like i'm trying a square peg in a round hole, but i already owe the mech a lot of money, just trying not to backtrack. But if the consensus is that i should take another path then i guess i'll just have to sell my kidney or something.
Last edited by pope_acute on Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

pope_acute wrote:But i never knew that each camshaft is specific for each block. And if i were to use it you need oversized bearings, which is not ideal.

Camshafts are not block specific, they are revision specific.

You can't get oversize camshaft bearings. The cams run in journals machined into the head and caps.
pope_acute

Post by pope_acute »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:
pope_acute wrote:But i never knew that each camshaft is specific for each block. And if i were to use it you need oversized bearings, which is not ideal.

You can't get oversize crankshaft bearings. The cams run in journals machined into the head and caps.

ah ok, so if i got a turbo rev4 crankshaft that still wouldn't have worked, as it machined into the head so it only fits that one specifically?
Last edited by pope_acute on Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

pope_acute wrote:
Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:

You can't get oversize camshaft bearings. The cams run in journals machined into the head and caps.

ah ok, so if i got a turbo rev4 camshaft that still wouldn't have worked, as it machined into the head so it only fits that one specifically?

The cam will fit. Whether it performs as well as the original cam is not guaranteed.

The cam isn't machined into the head, it is a separate part. But the cam runs in journal bearings machined into the head, and as i said before, if the bearing surfaces in the head are badly damaged, then the head is a write off.
nitrodave

Post by nitrodave »

just try and get a good rev3+ engine and fit that.
ashley

Post by ashley »

I suspect we need to replace "camshaft" with "crankshaft" in the posts above :-k
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

ashley wrote:I suspect we need to replace "camshaft" with "crankshaft" in the posts above :-k

I did wonder that, but then assumed if OP doesn't know he has his engine upside down, then we have no chance. :?
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

i would 1st'ly change you mechanic as he obviously knows pretty much nothing about these engines.

Wouldn't want him rebuilding mine :lol:
pope_acute

Post by pope_acute »

ashley wrote:I suspect we need to replace "camshaft" with "crankshaft" in the posts above :-k

yup, typo... :oops:
pope_acute

Post by pope_acute »

alanmr2turbo wrote:i would 1st'ly change you mechanic as he obviously knows pretty much nothing about these engines.

Wouldn't want him rebuilding mine :lol:

he is handy and has rebuilt engines before, but you are right he doesn't know these engines well at all...
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

pope_acute wrote:

yup, typo... :oops:

So now we have the engine the right way up, my previous advice applies. And the work mentioned needs to be done by a machine shop, not a garage workshop:

Have block totally hot tank cleaned with all oil gallery plugs removed.

Have crankshaft carefully checked and ground if necessary.

If any big ends went, have big end in rod/s checked for roundness and visual discolouring indicating overheating.

Dry build bottom end with Plastgauge before final assembly.
pope_acute

Post by pope_acute »

Peter thanks for advice appreciate it. i have just got off the phone with my mech and it turns out i got it wrong from reading his text. He said he meant it "looked" all good apart from the oil pipe feed. but he has just taken another look at it there properly he said (it's side line job for him and he's doing it cheaper as a favour, so he only works on it when he can sort of thing.)

he email me these pics just now:
rev4 + rev2

along with message, "this non turbo block won't do, there's too many small differences that will add up to trouble."

so that's £100 down the sh1tter.

ok, now what?

1) do what peter suggested, get crankshaft re-skimmed , treated then have block cleaned and put it back together with the new parts i have already bought?

2) ditch it and get another rev+ turbo engine.

3) burn car claim insurance (joking)

I leaning now towards number 1, we don't have engineering firms here that can do that sort of stuff doens't have the same engineering heritage that england has, i know this from past car stuff and other peoples woes. Does anyone have a recommended place i can phone and get quotes from for re-skimming crankshaft?

ta
:?

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”