Is the Celica GT4 a good MR2 Tubby replacement?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

2mad

Re: Is the Celica GT4 a good MR2 Tubby replacement?

Post by 2mad »

Two beautiful looking fafs ^^ l1ca, Looking forward to getting my kit fitted (c1 lip, trd skirts, trd spats and a ordinal hero rear spoiler) .

I think on paper drive train losses are over rated the cars grip from experience (especially in low gears) makes up for them and more.

I would race my petty much stock faf against my old mr2 and that had very good power way more than my faf and think it would be a very close race in the dry, in the wet my faf would murder it .

I think faf's are very sure footed, safe drivers cars, mr2's are pretty, go-cart handling with coilovers fitted and stupidly fast in the dry. If I had to choose between the two i would pick my old mr2 but i would really miss the faf's 4x4 all wheel drive system.

Kev.
RST

Post by RST »

It's funny how GT4's get blamed for poor returns, my first black one would regularly do almost 430miles per tank, my second one was on the way there with about 400miles ...I guess they'd both do less than 10 if I wanted to but that's not too shabby and perfectly liveable with. They were actually pretty good cars todrive on a day-to day basis. Quite good on long drives, both returned better mpg on longer drives then any MR2 I had.

Last edited by RST on Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
synXero

Post by synXero »

:lol: I'm really coming round to these as a result of this thread... I'm going to have to get one of these as a winter car one year for sure 8) 8) 8)
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

synXero wrote::lol: I'm really coming round to these as a result of this thread... I'm going to have to get one of these as a winter car one year for sure 8) 8) 8)

Always had a soft spot for these too 8)
danjama

Post by danjama »

I would love one but i don't want to get rid of my Mr2 and going by info here and other places it sounds a bit risky/expensive to own as a second car. I wouldn't want to neglect it.

I think when finances improve though I'd love to own a properly sorted one.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

danjama wrote:
I think when finances improve though I'd love to own a properly sorted one.

Now is defiantly the time to buy, I payed 2 grand for a car that had had over 5 grand spent on it over the last 3 years (all main dealer) . The most manically sound car I've ever owned (paints a bit poo but I know how to colour sand lol)

In a perfect would I would have my faf for wet days and only bring the mr2 tubby out for the sunshine :mrgreen:
al/c

gt4

Post by al/c »

picked mine up yesterday, so i decided to come up over the mountains and stick to a roads, what a scream :lol: :lol: it handles like a gokart and used less fuel than the mr2 would have, mind you it,s nearly standard so expected that, all in all i really enjoyed it. now just needs a little tlc and it,s a keeper :thumleft:
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

What's the steering response like. I imagine once loaded up it handles great but how flickable is it?

Also wondering how working on the 3s is having it upfront for things like clutch,turbo,belt change.
Marf

Post by Marf »

gnzyza wrote:What's the steering response like. I imagine once loaded up it handles great but how flickable is it?

Would like to know this too :thumleft:
danjama

Re: gt4

Post by danjama »

al/c wrote:picked mine up yesterday, so i decided to come up over the mountains and stick to a roads, what a scream :lol: :lol: it handles like a gokart and used less fuel than the mr2 would have, mind you it,s nearly standard so expected that, all in all i really enjoyed it. now just needs a little tlc and it,s a keeper :thumleft:

Come on then pics! :thumleft:

I really want one but the running costs have scared me off. :)
l1ca

Post by l1ca »

Damn guys your making me reconsider my ideas of an Civic sir for a bit of a toy....
fred130111

Post by fred130111 »

I am considering getting another Civic EG for a daily, I love the handling characteristics! And parts a so cheap for them... But if I had the spare cash I would defiantly rather have a GT4, In an ideal world Mr2 turbo for the summer and a GT4 for the winter.
Marf

Post by Marf »

I have unfinished business with the EG Civic :lol:

My VTi was written off about 2 months after I bought it by some old coot pulling out of his driveway without looking

I had planned to turbocharge it. It already had a quaife LSD and fully rebuilt box.

Chassis was superb for a scrabbler, just needed 60 more horsepower and some turbo torque!
fred130111

Post by fred130111 »

In the same boat as you marf! I only got rid of my most recent one due to the gearbox exploding, It seems so hard to find a decent one / any at all for sale these days.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

I would love to see imoc have a gt4 section , were all 3sgte after all :thumleft:

I love this site and don't want to join gt4oc lol :eye:

Ps. my faf running costs (petrol) are way cheaper than my mr2 tubby, no idea why :?:
al/c

gt4

Post by al/c »

2mad wrote:I would love to see imoc have a gt4 section , were all 3sgte after all :thumleft:

I love this site and don't want to join gt4oc lol :eye:

Ps. my faf running costs (petrol) are way cheaper than my mr2 tubby, no idea why :?:

:thumleft: i know why mine is cheaper :wink:
danjama

Post by danjama »

Part of me is wondering how the NA Celica's would fair with the later 3sge engine in (st202?).

I can imagine the fwd might make it feel heavy and sluggish compared to a rev 3 3sge mr2 for example. But what does it weigh compared to a rev3 mr2?

But these cars are so attractive i almost don't care. :-k

Then again you might as well spend a little bit more and get the celica 190? It's fwd but is comfy and lighter... :-k
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

danjama wrote:Part of me is wondering how the NA Celica's would fair with the later 3sge engine in (st202?).

I can imagine the fwd might make it feel heavy and sluggish compared to a rev 3 3sge mr2 for example. But what does it weigh compared to a rev3 mr2?

But these cars are so attractive i almost don't care. :-k

Then again you might as well spend a little bit more and get the celica 190? It's fwd but is comfy and lighter... :-k

If you mean the red top BEAMS engine, it got it just like the MR2 :)
al/c

gt4

Post by al/c »

i now have a problem with mine, as i,m about to replace the tubby,s engine with it,s newly built forged beast, what to do with the other forged engine there,s nothing wrong with it and seems a shame to leave it sitting around.... :lol: ...so it begins, so much for i,ll try and keep this standard :lol:
danjama

Post by danjama »

I am in talks with a guy to buy his ST185 GT4. What are peoples thoughts on these?

It's very far from me so i'm relying on videos/pictures and sellers honesty. It looks a very straight and clean example.

I much prefer the ST185 looks over the 205. Get to keep the pop up headlights :P

What are some things to look for? Are they AFM like a rev 2 tubby?

Fuel level gauge is on and off so probably fuel sender, is this a tank off job?

Really appreciate any feedback on these cars, I love the looks but am worried it will feel sluggish with the added weight and 4wd. :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”