emissions of turbo rev 1 in g/km?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

fellMR2

emissions of turbo rev 1 in g/km?

Post by fellMR2 »

Hello can somebody tell me a figure in g/km for co2 emissions of a rev 1 turbo?
Both with and without a cat if possible.

I tried but couldn't find this info anywhere.

Reason is I'm trying to work out what the road tax will be if I ship and register my car overseas and whether it is worth it.

Cheers.
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Re: emissions of turbo rev 1 in g/km?

Post by Peter Gidden »

fellMR2 wrote:Hello can somebody tell me a figure in g/km for co2 emissions of a rev 1 turbo?

Reason is I'm trying to work out what the road tax will be if I ship and register my car overseas and whether it is worth it.

Cheers.

Since emissions were only measured in % until early this century, i doubt there are any official g/kg figures for SW20 MR2s.

Emissions percentage and g/km cannot be compared as they are two entirely different things.

Emissions % involve a probe being inserted into the exhaust to measure the percentage of the exhaust gases that are present. The probe just takes a sample of the gases and does not measure the total volume.

A 6 litre Aston Martin may have a similar CO percentage to a 1 litre Fiat, but the total volume of exhaust gases emitted over a kilometre will be much greater, hence the higher g/km figure.
fellMR2

Post by fellMR2 »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:
fellMR2 wrote:Hello can somebody tell me a figure in g/km for co2 emissions of a rev 1 turbo?

Cheers.

Since emissions were only measured in % until early this century, i doubt there are any official g/kg figures for SW20 MR2s.

Emissions percentage and g/km cannot be compared as they are two entirely different things.

Emissions % involve a probe being inserted into the exhaust to measure the percentage of the exhaust gases that are present. The probe just takes a sample of the gases and does not measure the total volume.

A 6 litre Aston Martin may have a similar CO percentage to a 1 litre Fiat, but the total volume of exhaust gases emitted over a kilometre will be much greater, hence the higher g/km figure.

ok so how can one get a figure in g/km then?
can an mot place give me that?

Ideally i want no more than 180g/km. Is that doable with a good cat in place and a remap?
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

fellMR2 wrote:ok so how can one get a figure in g/km then?

No idea.

Manufacturers produce the figures, and since Toyota have never published the data for the 3S-GTE engine (because they wern't required to do so) i doubt you'll find any official source of information.

fellMR2 wrote:can an mot place give me that?

No, see my answer above. MOT test involves sampling exhaust gases, not measuring total volume.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”