LSD?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

BALDYMONSTER

LSD?

Post by BALDYMONSTER »

Can a limited slip diff be fitted to a non LSD MR2

Rev1 or Rev2?

As in taken from an mr2 or gt4 and fitted as a direct replacement?
toxo
IMOC Committee

Re: LSD?

Post by toxo »

Don't think you can use the GT4 one, it has a transfer box in place of the diff.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
shinny

Post by shinny »

The S54 and E153 gearboxes will take different diffs, so bear that in mind. Also AFAIK the standard LSDs in the turbos were viscous diffs and due to age / mileage they have almost certainly failed open by now. So don't just grab an LSD from an old gearbox, whack it in your gearbox and ask for your JDM cookies cos you now "haz LSD, innit", because you probably will have done a load of work for no actual benefit.
JD

Post by JD »

zomg shinny so you're saying that my LSD is knackered? :(

i thought a sealed unit was a forever thing?

EDIT - NO wait! When I've had mine off the ground, the wheels spin together, won't rotate in opposite directions. I'm still cool.
shinny

Post by shinny »

JD wrote:zomg shinny so you're saying that my LSD is knackered? :(

i thought a sealed unit was a forever thing?

I'm not saying it is certainly knackered as I don't know your car. I am saying I wouldn't fit a used "stock" LSD and expect it to actually be doing any limited slip stuff. If you're going to the effort of fitting an LSD, at fit one you know still works!

From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited-sl ... .28VLSD.29

Viscous LSDs are less efficient than mechanical types, that is, they "lose" some power. In particular, any sustained load which overheats the silicone results in sudden permanent loss of the differential effect. They do have the virtue of failing gracefully, reverting to semi-open differential behavior. Typically a visco-differential that has covered 60,000 miles (97,000 km) or more will be functioning largely as an open differential; this is a known weakness of the original Mazda MX-5 (a.k.a. Miata) sports car. The silicone oil is factory sealed in a separate chamber from the gear oil surrounding the rest of the differential. This is not serviceable; when the differential's behavior deteriorates, the VLSD center must be replaced.

JD wrote:EDIT - NO wait! When I've had mine off the ground, the wheels spin together, won't rotate in opposite directions. I'm still cool.

That's a pretty rubbish test for an LSD, sorry. There are ways of testing an LSD but that isn't really one of them.
JD

Post by JD »

Yeah, so, how can I test it? Safe, legal suggestions please 8-[

I know I can do some sweet number 11s on private roads.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

JD wrote:Yeah, so, how can I test it? Safe, legal suggestions please 8-[

I know I can do some sweet number 11s on private roads.

I have always thought if you can paint 11's on a private road using the loud pedal :lol: lsd's probably ok 8-[

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”