Ecutekked?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

BALDYMONSTER

Ecutekked?

Post by BALDYMONSTER »

I have had various blown cars ecutekked in the past.

Bit my former wide body st185 gt4 was not able to have this done.

I know the engines are at least similar so can anyone tell me of they can be ecutekked?
Hez

Re: Ecutekked?

Post by Hez »

No they can't :(, the toyota ecu cannot be reprogrammed. Full standalone or piggy back unit required.
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

not strictly true over on twobrutal a guy called jon sole has made some toyota ecu's mappable a few of us run them on our v6's he can do some 3sgte's but im not sure which revisions

Chris
jon

Post by jon »

Rev 3-5 3S-GTE, MR2 and Celica ST205 :D
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

There would be the man in question hadn't realised you were on here
Herts66

Post by Herts66 »

Hi Jon
Where can I read up on your mappable ecus for the Rev3 3sgte?
Also are there any base maps available?
Cheers
Andy
gerbil1028

Post by gerbil1028 »

As he said lol
One day the Phoenix will rise from the ashes.
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

thomp1983 wrote:http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/showth ... VZ-FE-ECUs

as stated in my first post :lol:

how has this not come up on here before?? anyone used one on a tubby?? also, who is capable of mapping this??
gerbil1028

Post by gerbil1028 »

If proper mappable and able to edit and improve fuel maps I am interstsd
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

sheppy wrote:who is capable of mapping this??

this is why you havent heard about it.
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

jimGTS wrote:

Thats a shame because the std ecu is a pretty trick bit of kit. I remember there was a thread analysing all the functions a while back.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

jimGTS wrote:

i did wonder, after reading the thread it doesn't look as though it's fully functional yet anyway :( (feel free to correct me, I only skimmed the other thread).
jon

Post by jon »

sheppy wrote:i did wonder, after reading the thread it doesn't look as though it's fully functional yet anyway :( (feel free to correct me, I only skimmed the other thread).

The boards are fully functional, there are a few 3S-GTEs and 3VZ-FEs running with these boards. There's also a Rev 3 3S-GE competing in a race series with a modified ECU.

It's early days yet though, the Rev 3 ECU is a complex beast, I've spent 3 years reverse engineering the stock ROM images. I'm now in a position where I understand enough of the ECU operation to confidently remap it for my MR2. I'm just waiting for the wideband lambda sensor to arrive...

As it stands at the moment it is very much a DIY solution, for those who want to change maps themselves.

For me the Rev 3 ECU does 90% of what I want it to do already, I'm just going to improve it a bit to make it 100% :D
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

without having to read 21 pages, what is available to buy, and what do you need to map it yourself?
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

jon wrote:
sheppy wrote:i did wonder, after reading the thread it doesn't look as though it's fully functional yet anyway :( (feel free to correct me, I only skimmed the other thread).

The boards are fully functional, there are a few 3S-GTEs and 3VZ-FEs running with these boards. There's also a Rev 3 3S-GE competing in a race series with a modified ECU.

It's early days yet though, the Rev 3 ECU is a complex beast, I've spent 3 years reverse engineering the stock ROM images. I'm now in a position where I understand enough of the ECU operation to confidently remap it for my MR2. I'm just waiting for the wideband lambda sensor to arrive...

As it stands at the moment it is very much a DIY solution, for those who want to change maps themselves.

For me the Rev 3 ECU does 90% of what I want it to do already, I'm just going to improve it a bit to make it 100% :D

whoops, apologies Jon, I stupidly just skimmed the thread and have obviously misunderstood things,

there'd be a tidy wee market for this i reckon, I have a blitz ECU which already has the fuel cut, rev limit and boost raised, i would love to be able to have this mapped for bigger turbo though. so as Jim says, what's available?? :lol: :lol:
gerbil1028

Post by gerbil1028 »

Apologies if stupid question.

When getting a stand alone mapped dont they just go into fueling and timing on a roller and fiddle to get best performance ?

If this basic view is correct then surely any tuner could map this ecu setup if the maps are available to tinker with ??
tubby_tony

Post by tubby_tony »

It would be an easy task to re-map it if the User Interface of Jon's mapping software is easy to use. Im assuming that Jon's software is more a prototype and may not be as user friendly and polished as he would like and maybe documentation on how to use the software is not up to date. Any chance you care to share some screen shots of the UI Jon?
jon

Post by jon »

These boards can be mapped using a ROM Emulator such as the Moates Ostrich II and software such as Tuner Pro RT.

People have been doing similar stuff with ECUs that have changeable EPROMs (Honda, Subaru) in them for years.

My boards when fitted inside the ECU, provide a socket for a EPROM/Flash chip that stores the new ECU S/W and maps. Simpler ECUs like the 3VZ-FE and 3S-GE only need one board but the Rev 3 3S-GTE ECU has a dual processor architecture so 2 boards have to be fitted to be able to change everything.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

How would that work with blitz,toms,mines ecus Jon?

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”