Water coming in the passenger footwell

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

autobody
Premium Member

Water coming in the passenger footwell

Post by autobody »

Hi all, I have revamped the t-bar roof, fitted new seals, screws and other bits. Which has stopped all leaks I was getting from the roof. But I still have water coming in from someplace.

So out came the hose pipe and found that water was coming in from the grill which is located at the bottom of the windscreen.

Now how can this happen, water still comes out of the drain which sits behind the wheel arch, so don't think its blocked (well not full blocked), my guess is I have a hole some place, now does that mean I have to take the dash out to find and fix?

here is a pic (red lines are to show where the water is coming from). Most of the water comes from the left side:

DNOS808

Water Leak

Post by DNOS808 »

There is a common rot trap where the water drains at the base of the windscreens lead to. If you take the dash out you will often find small rust holes in the bulkhead along the line of the base of the metal box vent/drain cavity forward of the bulkhead.

Removal of the dash can be a very intimidating endevour especially since you also need to remove the ventilation ducting and blower to get at the problem area. I have done this job a few times to deal with bulkhead leaks and blocked heater matrices. If you are systematic and take your time this job is not too bad.

When you lift the dash off be very careful not to break off the tubes that come out of the back of the vents at either end of the dash. They are very fragile.
autobody
Premium Member

Re: Water coming in the passenger footwell

Post by autobody »

thanks for the info, will be working on this next week.

1 silly question - when I pour water in the vent (below the windscreen) should it always drain from the side drain no matter how much water I pour in.
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

autobody wrote:thanks for the info, will be working on this next week.

1 silly question - when I pour water in the vent (below the windscreen) should it always drain from the side drain no matter how much water I pour in.

It should do but on mine it seemed that not all the water had been draining away Imran

See my reply on your other thread
Peter

1989 MR2 Mk1 NA T-bar
1998 Ssangyong Korando GLS
2011 Honda Civic Type R
autobody
Premium Member

Post by autobody »

Dash now removed and found some rust. or should I say a few places of rust.

they was 2 small holes, about a few mm wide, but I had to have a poke and the result is below. Got to find a way to get this fixed.

PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Cut out the rot, weld in new steel, seam seal and paint, it's the only way to do it properly.

Do not be tempted to fill over that with P38 or fibreglass, the rot will spread and it will become much worse.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”