[Mk2] [Generic] Gauge Cluster Swap - Lexus IS200 or other?

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SteveH

[Mk2] [Generic] Gauge Cluster Swap - Lexus IS200 or other?

Post by SteveH »

I've been researching this for a while, but I was wondering if anyone knows of, or has done a complete gauge cluster swap?

Ideally, the Lexus IS200 one, as it's gorgeous. But I think I read somewhere that a Celica GT-S/VVTL-I one was done before.

I don't mind the actual fabbing/making it fit bit, but I'm curious as to the electronics. I presume the signals being sent will be different, and as such will give false readings?

Car is a Rev 5 GTS Import

Thanks for any help!
shinny

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Gauge Cluster Swap - Lexus IS200 or other?

Post by shinny »

Anything with an LCD screen is going to be extra complex. First step is to find some wiring diagrams for both clusters. I've got MR2 ones, although they won't be a perfect match for a rev5 tubby.

Personally, I like the idea of the S2000 speedo... but that would certainly require a fair bit of electrics, if not electronics or a microcontroller to get it to work! That's probably not beyond me, but I like my current speedo a fair bit so don't have the motivation to change :oops:

SteveH

Post by SteveH »

To be honest, I'm not fussed by having the LCD panel working, just the main gauges. I'll keep the proper cluster for when it's NCT (MOT) time.

Just curious if anyone else has undertaken such a feat!
shinny

Post by shinny »

SteveH wrote:To be honest, I'm not fussed by having the LCD panel working, just the main gauges. I'll keep the proper cluster for when it's NCT (MOT) time.

That's an excellent way of hiding your car's true mileage

SteveH wrote:Just curious if anyone else has undertaken such a feat!

Never seen it, but I'm sure someone has!
mr2matt

Post by mr2matt »

I think the S2000 cluster would look pretty neat in an mr2. But if you didn't wire in the LCD screen, how would you know what speed you were doing? :wink:
shinny

Post by shinny »

mr2matt wrote:I think the S2000 cluster would look pretty neat in an mr2. But if you didn't wire in the LCD screen, how would you know what speed you were doing? :wink:

Didn't say you couldn't hook up an LCD - just said they may add complexity.
h20490

Post by h20490 »

Many of the Honda boys fit S2000 clocks into there DC2 Integra's and even Civic/CRX's

Its a little fiddly but a few guys seem to have brought packages so it takes a lot of difficulty out for them.

AP1 Clocks are easier to use and also OBD0 cars need to change to OBD1 wiring as well as a few other things.

I think H-Tune or Mark Lammond had websites to buy everything you needed plus shows you how to do this.

Think they also did somthing with the VSS as old cars use mechanical ones instead of electronic VSS.

Sorry if none of thats relevent but a google search on it might help.
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

What got me thinking about this whole idea was when I stumbled across this on a random internet journey:

http://www2s.biglobe.ne.jp/~AWD/m1normal.html

Absolutely fell in love. I may just look at sitting down with an older set of clocks to see what I can do
Torero

Post by Torero »

SteveH wrote:What got me thinking about this whole idea was when I stumbled across this on a random internet journey:

http://www2s.biglobe.ne.jp/~AWD/m1normal.html

Absolutely fell in love. I may just look at sitting down with an older set of clocks to see what I can do

Whoa they are absolutely sick :clap: I just love them. Reminds me of the Zonda Huayra interior.
3VZ-FE V6 TRD Widebody Replica

Draven wrote "TRD dude. TRD... Can see awesomness from anywhere. "

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0
juliankv73

Post by juliankv73 »

SteveH wrote:I've been researching this for a while, but I was wondering if anyone knows of, or has done a complete gauge cluster swap?

Ideally, the Lexus IS200 one, as it's gorgeous. But I think I read somewhere that a Celica GT-S/VVTL-I one was done before.

I don't mind the actual fabbing/making it fit bit, but I'm curious as to the electronics. I presume the signals being sent will be different, and as such will give false readings?

Car is a Rev 5 GTS Import

Thanks for any help!

A MK1 owner had:-

jimi wrote:Scotsmale's MK1 with a Astra digidash

Maybe ask Paul Woodsport as he has put Astra LCD dashs in Mk3, link here:-

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=149401
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

The problem with a lot of the later Toyota style displays (Optitron from a Lexus, the IS200 one or the Celica one) is that they recieve a lot of information from the ECU via the vehicle's multiplex data bus. Your ECU doesn't transmit things via MPX so you'd need to (I expect) have the Lexus ECU in there as well to convert the signals from the sensors into a datastream.

I've got the CCFL dials from an LS400 sat around at home which I was intending to do this kind of conversion with but I melted my brain trying to work it out so I gave up. And that particular dash is only half MPX, things like the fuel gauge and tacho are still directly connected.

So, you are better off trying to fit an older generation digital dash or something aftermarket like a Race2 or Motec ADL than you are something from a shiny new car.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

^^^

Great info, thanks for that Toxo, much appreciated. I think a general tart-up is in order so.

Thanks to all for the input
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

I know for example that the fuel gauge on the IS200 is run directly by the ECU, counting injector pulses and duty. It checks in with the float in the tank when the level reaches a quarter increment.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!

Return to “Electrical”