Lightweight T-bar Panels

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Danbob

Re: Lightweight T-bar Panels

Post by Danbob »

I'd say 5kg removed from the very top of the car is a saving worth having!

Considering people spend lots of cash on CF bonnets etc. which save around 10kg (mk2)? - The position of the weight removed is significant.

Every little helps and it all adds up!
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

stenky wrote:Tintops are extremely rare even in UK. Now imagie how many LHD ones are even remotely available in the rest of Europe. Just a clue. The number we are guessing wasnt considered a number not so long ago. I am working with what i got. 5kg here, 5 there and i believe that after investing some small fortune in CF parts, I can make my car close to 30kg lighter.

But the reality is you would have been better off buying a sunroof car in the first place that is already 30kgs lighter before you start.

I suppose it all adds up but the MR2 is a heavy car to start with and the t-bar is the heaviest of all. Whilst I guess 5kgs on the roof is something, the reality is that it will make no difference to anything at all, it's too small a saving. Sure everything counts is I suppose what it's all about.

I got my old SC conversion (with a sunroof) down to 1010kgs as verified on a weighbridge. My stock MK1a was 1030kgs IIRC. The MK1a is the lightest MR2 in stock form, the t-bar SC is the heaviest.

Really you need to lose a lot of weight (around 100kgs) before you notice the difference. The difference between empty and a full tank of fuel for example is about 28kgs and let's face it can you tell the difference?

In comparison to the MR2, my AE86 which is the heaviest version with power steering and air con weighs in at 970kgs. UK versions are around the 940kgs mark.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Mk1Chris

Post by Mk1Chris »

Lauren wrote:
But the reality is you would have been better off buying a sunroof car in the first place that is already 30kgs lighter before you start.

DING

Even I acquired a LHD sunroof model, without even wanting it.
Smallport 4AGTE
stenky

Post by stenky »

T-bar is the most common version here.Like 4 times more than sunroofs. No superchargers, no tintops, except for maybe several us imports. But I dont have to justify my work. Ill do what i like and what i enjoy. I wanted a t-bar anyway.....
On thin forum, almost anything is not worth doing, so i might not start my thread, because it would be full of such things. I ll just lurk around.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

I was merely pointing out that doing all this work to save weight is not effective.

If you want carbon fibre t-bar panels then that's cool and up to you.

There are a number of tin tops here and quite a few sunroof models to be fair plus the JDM imports of course.

In the UK it's easy to buy a sunroof model.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Mk1Chris

Post by Mk1Chris »

stenky wrote:
On thin forum, almost anything is not worth doing, so i might not start my thread, because it would be full of such things. I ll just lurk around.

Whoa, relax. You are talking to the fool who turbo charged a 4agze engine and imported carbon fibre panels at great expense.

I love carbon stuff, if I had a t-bar i'd love those panels.

Just pointing out the very real fact that if it is for weight saving alone then the t-bar chassis is flawed from the start. 8)
Smallport 4AGTE
Neil_turbo

Post by Neil_turbo »

I'd love a set of these... and yes i should have started with a tin top :whistle:

Keep me up to date :thumleft:

Would also like the rear visor if you can do them :thumleft:
outrun

Post by outrun »

The CF panels look great. :)

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”