Water/meth injection: a theoretical and practical discussion

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

dazzz

Re: Water/meth injection: a theoretical and practical discussion

Post by dazzz »

T.F.S. wrote:
dazzz wrote:
So how can you be sure your reading o f the inlet temps is correct? Do you see my opinion with regards to the moisture collecting on the probe.

I'm no expert when it comes to car engines and injection systems but I am an expert in testing and measurements.

I don't have any evidence that it is 100% correct but I seem to be the only person in the discussion bringing any evidence at all, what we do know is that methanol engines run very cold in general and the freezing temps I recorded were when injecting around 2L per min of methanol (still with 250cc of H20 mixed in) which does not really surprise me.

I cant see what water would remain as liquid after passing through the turbo (pre compressor inj) so this argument would seem irrelevant in that scenario, phase change happens before the liquid even reaches the turbo, even if it wasn't there would be explosive vaporisation at the tips of the compressor, temperature of the inlet is reduced due to latent heat of vaporization.

So you're adding the water before the turbo. But the Water only cools when changing from a liquid to a gas. If there's no water vapour left after the turbo, how is it cooling the compressed air after the turbo.

You also say your injecting at 2l per min. When you go for a drive for half an hour, how much methanol/water are you having to carry. Surely you can't have a 60l tank onboard

If what you're saying is true, I can't understand why the likes of Audi, Merc, and even Bugatti haven't used wi to reduce the weight and complexity of there intercooler systems.

Do any super / hyper cars use them?

I just can't see liquid cooling the airflow at such a rapid rate in such a short distance to offer any beneficial inter cooling effect to the air charge temperature.

In the 15 years you've been installing surely you know some real boffin who could explain the ins and outs.
Last edited by dazzz on Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

What do you guys make of this paper?

http://turbolab.tamu.edu/proc/turboproc/T34/t34-06.pdf

Dazz your last post was empty?
dazzz wrote:I'm no expert but
dazzz

Post by dazzz »

I pressed submit without typing.
dazzz

Post by dazzz »

T.F.S. wrote:What do you guys make of this paper?

I'm gonna have to read that at least 3 times.
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

dazzz wrote:
So you're adding the water before the turbo. But the Water only cools when changing from a liquid to a gas. If there's no water vapour left after the turbo, how is it cooling the compressed air after the turbo.

You also say your injecting at 2l per min. When you go for a drive for half an hour, how much methanol/water are you having to carry. Surely you can't have a 60l tank onboard

If what you're saying is true, I can't understand why the likes of Audi, Merc, and even Bugatti haven't used wi to reduce the weight and complexity of there intercooler systems.

Do any super / hyper cars use them?

I just can't see liquid cooling the airflow at such a rapid rate in such a short distance to offer any beneficial inter cooling effect to the air charge temperature.

In the 15 years you've been installing surely you know some real boffin who could explain the ins and outs.

Sometimes I was, sometimes I wasn't...I played with this and that, changed things around etc.

If the water does not turn to vapor I do not expect it to cool, this is when you need to add another chemical.

The liquids are only ever injected on boost so I would take say 10 Liters in the tanks and then have another 10 with me, in the end I started using the washer bottle as well but I never injected more than say 5 liters in one night even during hard repeated testing which was a bit of an excuse for driving like an utter madman, the logs are a testament to this..

The freezing point figure was taken with the boost cracked open at about 3psi and a lot of meth, the rest of the night it was 40c on boost.

The temp drop is very real, we have a stock engine MR2 running silly boost on a big turbo and stock paper head gasket and no intercooler, if inlet temp was not as low as it was the engine would not have survived the utter abuse that it did, it was even sold on afterwards and as far as I know is still being raced now?

The thing about having a car mapped like this is that the car will go bang if you remove the water/meth mix (apart from a list of other drawbacks) that is why cars are not mass produced like this.

I have spoken with many people who have experienced lower inlet temps, customers and dealers, designers etc, all of them apart from Bob have experienced it.
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

dazzz wrote:
T.F.S. wrote:What do you guys make of this paper?

I'm gonna have to read that at least 3 times.

There appears to be a couple of places where it seems to be well documented that inlet air temp was reduced by evaporate cooling of water.
dazzz

Post by dazzz »

I've read the document.

It relates to land based gas turbines where the hot gases, usually natural gas, are saturated to 100%. This then only still reducing the temp from dry to wet values.

Doesn't really apply to car turbo chargers IMO. They are talking about creating a stable efficient compressor setup in land based applications.

I don't know how much air flows through the mr2 or at what temps. I don't know how much coolant your injecting or at what pressure. I still don't think the charged air could be cooled that quick though.

What sort of saturation levels are you actually getting?
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

So "inlet air" is natural gas?
dazzz

Post by dazzz »

T.F.S. wrote:So "inlet air" is natural gas?

No

Natural gas is 95 per cent Methane (CH4)

Plus four other hydrocarbons:

Ethane (C2H6) - 2.5%, Propane (C3H8) - 0.2%, Butane (C4H10) - 0.06%, Pentanes Plus (C5H12 + C10H22) - 0.02%

It also contains small amounts of:

Nitrogen (N2) - 1.6%, Carbon Dioxide (CO2) - 0.7%, Hydrogen Sulphide (H2S) - trace, Water (H2O) - trace

It also much lighter than air.

What happens to the effective octane of the fuel when you injecting methanol. Does it increase? If so by how much per unit?

I understand you may be getting good results but I don't think it has much to do with the air inlet temps.

I cant see any real evidence of inlet temps being dropped significantly. Im not saying it doesn't happen, if you inject cold water into hot air it will reduce the temp.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

WWII aircraft used WI in the inlet of the supercharger, achieved 100degF air intake temperature drops. I'd guess those engineers used the right equipment to measure their data :thumleft:
ashley

Post by ashley »

raptor95GTS wrote:WWII aircraft used WI in the inlet of the supercharger, achieved 100degF air intake temperature drops. I'd guess those engineers used the right equipment to measure their data :thumleft:

Not necessarily, technology has moved on "slightly" in the last 60 years or so...
2mad

Post by 2mad »

When I was running water/meth I could hammer the car for an hour no drop in performance get home and touch the pipe running from the intercooler to the throttle body (intake manifold too) and it would be cool, if I tried that w/m off I would have got 3rd degree burns.
If the metal pipes and manifold are cool does that not mean the air flowing along them would be cooled too, like an intercooler.
How can the pipes and manifold be cool if the air is still hot :-k

I still have no answer to taking the air temp without the the iat being cooled also (if that indeed is what is happening), maybe borrowing cerns large hadron collider might help :oldtongue:

Kev.
dazzz

Post by dazzz »

raptor95GTS wrote:WWII aircraft used WI in the inlet of the supercharger, achieved 100degF air intake temperature drops. I'd guess those engineers used the right equipment to measure their data :thumleft:

The pilots also used to eat carrots to help them see in the dark :thumleft:
Danbob

Post by Danbob »

One way to test the theory is to to find a members car which has wi fitted just after the IC and has an after market ECU. Set the ignition timing to a fixed conservative value and boost low enough to be safe without WI, then run a back to back dyno run with and without WI switched on.

If the benefit of the theoretical cooling effect outweighs the power loss from the air that the water displaces, then the wi dyno run will produce more power and we can all go home happy :thumleft:

If it doesn't gain power when WI is on then the discussion continues because WI might still be having some cooling effect, and car could still be seeing a benefit from installing post IC rather than directly at the ports.

To avoid dyno expense one of the phone based or ignition basd dyno programs could be used, not as accurate but will be consistent and should show the difference..
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

T.F.S. wrote:
dazzz wrote:
So how can you be sure your reading o f the inlet temps is correct? Do you see my opinion with regards to the moisture collecting on the probe.

I'm no expert when it comes to car engines and injection systems but I am an expert in testing and measurements.

I don't have any evidence that it is 100% correct but I seem to be the only person in the discussion bringing any evidence at all, what we do know is that methanol engines run very cold in general and the freezing temps I recorded were when injecting around 2L per min of methanol (still with 250cc of H20 mixed in) which does not really surprise me.

I cant see what water would remain as liquid after passing through the turbo (pre compressor inj) so this argument would seem irrelevant in that scenario, phase change happens before the liquid even reaches the turbo, even if it wasn't there would be explosive vaporisation at the tips of the compressor, temperature of the inlet is reduced due to latent heat of vaporization.

I think the problem we have here is that I am talking about water injection systems and you are talking about fuel injection, two totally different subjects.

As soon as another fluid is added to the water, this is then no longer a water injection system.

It is very well known that fuel can ice up carburettors, that is why manufactures fed warm air into the air filter.
So injecting petrol or methanol into an engine is a fuel injection system and has nothing to do with adding water.
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

dazzz wrote:
No

Natural gas is 95 per cent Methane (CH4)

Plus four other hydrocarbons:

Ethane (C2H6) - 2.5%, Propane (C3H8) - 0.2%, Butane (C4H10) - 0.06%, Pentanes Plus (C5H12 + C10H22) - 0.02%

It also contains small amounts of:

Nitrogen (N2) - 1.6%, Carbon Dioxide (CO2) - 0.7%, Hydrogen Sulphide (H2S) - trace, Water (H2O) - trace

It also much lighter than air.

What happens to the effective octane of the fuel when you injecting methanol. Does it increase? If so by how much per unit?

I understand you may be getting good results but I don't think it has much to do with the air inlet temps.

I cant see any real evidence of inlet temps being dropped significantly. Im not saying it doesn't happen, if you inject cold water into hot air it will reduce the temp.

I know what natural gas is, my point is that they said quite clearly that they cooled the inlet air with water injection via evaporation.

Kev your hand is not a calibrated piece of equipment that is traceable to the national mass so according to the experts that info does not count ](*,)
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

Bob we seem to be talking about multiple scenarios on this thread but for the purposes of WI discussion do you not agree that if the water is injected before the turbo which obviously results in total evaporation of the liquid does this not reduce the inlet air temp?
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

T.F.S. wrote:Bob we seem to be talking about multiple scenarios on this thread but for the purposes of WI discussion do you not agree that if the water is injected before the turbo which obviously results in total evaporation of the liquid does this not reduce the inlet air temp?

How and why will it have total evaporation? It is still water until it boils, then there is a very large increase in its volume that will displace a lot of air
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
ashley

Post by ashley »

Does it need to boil to evaporate? What about when we sweat and the sweat evaporates off of our skin, so cooling our skin...the sweat isn't boiling off us is it? Or is it? Confused!
Draven

Post by Draven »

Just chiming in.. no water does not need to boil to evaporate. It is evaporating all the time just at room temperature. Just not at a noticable rate.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”