looking to buy a Mk2 Turbo.

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

hellfire

looking to buy a Mk2 Turbo.

Post by hellfire »

Hi guys,

So I've been looking around for a second car and after meeting a group of MR2 owners at Japfest I've decided it will be this.

They gave me some advice on looking but also said to get my ass over here. I'm not in a rush so can wait for the right car.

So any advice for me? I'm looking and been advices rev 3plus. I also have 5k tops including mods as a budget

Budget must include exhaust system (preferably mongoose), intercooler, turbo boost, blow off valve, these were what I got advices to put on
Last edited by hellfire on Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
tubby_tony

Re: looking to buy a Mk2 Turbo.

Post by tubby_tony »

pop-up valve? Or do you mean blow off valve (BOV)? BOV's are fitted as standard but are of the recirculating type, so if it is a BOV that you mean you probably mean a dump to atmosphere type.

In reference to finding the right car, with £5k you should find a very good low mileage rev3 with the mods you require already fitted. Probably not too dissimilar to mine.......but she is not for sale.

Check out the obvious places like in the For Sale section on this forum, MR2OC, and PistonHeads where you should find enthusiasts that have looked after their car or other people that may know the vehicles history. Best of luck.
hellfire

Post by hellfire »

Yes of course, a BOV.

Thanks for the advice.

Someone did suggest buying a stock one and getting the work done myself as you'll know it'll be fitted correctly, which I guess makes sense.
danjama

Post by danjama »

Welcome to imoc :thumleft:

We were talking over on PH.

I think if you get the car from an enthusiast, you can be pretty certain the mods have been done properly.

Here's a clue - if the seller is referring to a twin turbo mr2, avoid :D
woz_106

Post by woz_106 »

it was me you added on facebook after talking at the show mate, good to meet ya. Regards to the BOV stick with standard imo i've never had a problem running the standard one with my spec and they are a very clever piece of kit.

However if its the noise your after then go for the aftermarket ones.
hellfire

Post by hellfire »

Hi folks,

Good to see both of you again and was good meeting you at Japfest Woz,

I'll admit I am after the noise of the Aftermarket ones which is why I am considering them.

Danjama, I appreciate your advice about the mods, if that's the case it makes it A LOT easier for me as I do not touch engines which means any mods involve labour etc.

The good thing is I have time and I am no rush at all so I can wait for one to come along. not a lot about at present.

I did get offered one at Japfest coming up in the new year, lovely car, perfectly tidy and near jap stock spec. BUT I doubt I'll be able to buy it and get the mods done for my budget. (however I will keep an eye on it)
2mad

Post by 2mad »

danjama wrote:

Here's a clue - if the seller is referring to a twin turbo mr2, avoid :D

Ha so true

And..

"Cars probably got 350hp, really fast, running 20psi boost." (running standard engine and turbo) .. Run for the hills [-(
StevieL

Post by StevieL »

Don't buy a cheap sh*t eBay intercooler, try get a good second hand GReddy one, or stick with stock.

I'd be looking at suspension too, a good suspension set up makes driving a Mk2 so much better!
Marmalade

Post by Marmalade »

StevieL wrote:Don't buy a cheap sh*t eBay intercooler, try get a good second hand GReddy one, or stick with stock.

I'd be looking at suspension too, a good suspension set up makes driving a Mk2 so much better!

Now when I sought advice about intercoolers, I was told go for any intercooler other than stock as they are so poor.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Marmalade wrote:
StevieL wrote:Don't buy a cheap sh*t eBay intercooler, try get a good second hand GReddy one, or stick with stock.

Now when I sought advice about intercoolers, I was told go for any intercooler other than stock as they are so poor.

Never temperature probed a standard setup but i did take iat readings from an ebay intercooler. A fter a couple of pulls temps hit 50c+ , not good.
Probably down to the horrible positioning of the intercooler than the intercooler itself .

Edit.. Temps were taken during summer 25c ish ambient temperature.
nitrodave

Post by nitrodave »

2mad wrote:
Marmalade wrote:

Never temperature probed a standard setup but i did take iat readings from an ebay intercooler. A fter a couple of pulls temps hit 50c+ , not good.
Probably down to the horrible positioning of the intercooler than the intercooler itself .

doesnt sound too abnomal to be at 50 celcius. was the fan fitted and working? that should really help. As for ebay intercoolers, they should be just as efficient as a branded one, I've always been chuffed with them.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

nitrodave wrote:
2mad wrote:
Marmalade wrote:

doesnt sound too abnomal to be at 50 celcius. was the fan fitted and working? that should really help. As for ebay intercoolers, they should be just as efficient as a branded one, I've always been chuffed with them.

Dont want to go to off topic with this .. But yeah had the stock puller fan fitted, must admit was a bit disappointed :pale:
Like I said I think its more the positioning of the intercooler than the intercooler itself.

Realy off topic.. My st205 with chargecooler hits 50c too . Fmic being fitted soon 8)
hellfire

Post by hellfire »

no worries about that. if I buy a new intercooler it'll be Greddy anyway.
juliankv73

Post by juliankv73 »

Last edited by juliankv73 on Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rgb

Post by rgb »

that black car is snide
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

rgb wrote:that black car is snide

Trying to work out if that is a positive or negative comment?....
No 2 :(
hellfire

Post by hellfire »

MR2 Rich wrote:

Me too,

However the listing suggests it's stock which would be out of my budget as it leaves no room for mods.
QUOC2008

Post by QUOC2008 »

Im sure the guy would drop the price abit if you haggled... it seems to be a good car turbo rev 4 models are rare to find... but be careful of that garage mention in the advert.
MR2 REV 3 TURBO 450BHP
3000GT VR4 TT 500BHP
EVO X FQ360
2mad

Post by 2mad »

hellfire wrote:
MR2 Rich wrote:

Me too,

However the listing suggests it's stock which would be out of my budget as it leaves no room for mods.

Add says... " Car has HKS Dump valve, Greddy intercooler, Mongoose full exhaust system de cat (cat will come with car), induction kit, turbo timer, Xenon head lights and brand new 17" Japan Racing JR12 deep dish alloys staggered 8" front and 9" rear with brand new tyres"

Thats a pretty good starter kit mod wise , just needs some boost control.

I like the look of it, why is it snide rgb. Add says it was health check by Pacific Works in October 2013 :-k I can only assume it passed .

Why not ask Luke @Pacific Works if he remembers the car.
danjama

Post by danjama »

Yeah that's a pretty good set of mods to start with, and you could probably knock him down for the cost of a decent boost controller.

And you said you wanted a mongoose exhaust :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”