Cousin of the MK1

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Cousin of the MK1

Post by tonigmr2 »

Sort of!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pontiac-Fiero ... 3a95ada390

I seem to remember reading somewhere Toyota wanted to make a better car than this, and the screaming chicken badge was mocking this effort by Pontiac!

I quite like it though, wonder why...... :eye:
boondougal

Re: Cousin of the MK1

Post by boondougal »

Interesting car really... If only Mr T had gone for 2.5l option!
stenky

Post by stenky »

ah, the poor man's MR2 8)
MarkCL

Post by MarkCL »

A fair few 'Ferrari' style kit cars were based on the fiero back in the day I seem to remember...looks like the rot has gotten too heavily to that one though :-k Still, interesting looking car - shame he left it this long before deciding to do something with it :(

Cheers,
Mark
jimi

Post by jimi »

tonigmr2 wrote:
I seem to remember reading somewhere Toyota wanted to make a better car than this, and the screaming chicken badge was mocking this effort by Pontiac!

IIRC the Fiero and MR2 were introduced within months of each other in 1984 so I would doubt that is true. Brian Long in his book Toyota MR2 quotes Toyota as saying
The MR2 bird trademark represents power and speed, and "aerodynamic beauty through evolution"
halflife

Post by halflife »

If anyone has a copy of the MR2 road text manual I'm fairly sure there is a couple of tests in there pitching the two cars against each other.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

There are a number of comparison tests.

The Fiero was not all that great. Terrible interior that was bad enough to make the MR2 look good!

Also it wasn't as sharp in handling and only produced similar power. It was heavier IIRC and this affected it in regards to balance and power to weight of course. Crap build quality too.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
stenky

Post by stenky »

Lauren wrote:There are a number of comparison tests.

The Fiero was not all that great. Terrible interior that was bad enough to make the MR2 look good!

Also it wasn't as sharp in handling and only produced similar power. It was heavier IIRC and this affected it in regards to balance and power to weight of course. Crap build quality too.
and add engine compartment catching fire :whistle: a dream car!

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”