[Mk2] [Generic] Vibration over 60 mph - hubcentric spacers/spigot rings?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Legit

[Mk2] [Generic] Vibration over 60 mph - hubcentric spacers/spigot rings?

Post by Legit »

I have a set of Advan SA3Rs that I put on my car a couple of weeks ago and I am getting some pretty gnarly vibration through the steering wheel over 60 mph.

I haven't had a chance to get them properly balanced/aligned/etc yet but I've also seen a lot online regarding hubcentric spacers/spigot rings as a potential fix.

As always, any help is appreciated! :)
craig

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Vibration over 60 mph - hubcentric spacers/spigot rings?

Post by craig »

alignment
balancing
spigot rings

Spigot rings reduce the bore size of aftermarket wheels to 60.1mm for MR2 MK2 hubs, for a centralised fit on the hub flange.

If your advans are missing the spigot rings, chances are they won't be sat central on the hub. Whip the wheel off and look for a plastic ring inside the wheel bore, or on the hub flange.

if alignment, balancing or spigots don't sort your vibration, look at the issue of the wheel being buckled and have it checked for straightness.

hubcentric spacers are only ever used for incorrect offset wheels, so that they're able to be flush/clear suspension etc.
Legit

Post by Legit »

Cheers mate, I'll get those sorted in the order listed!

Is there somewhere in particular to find the correct spigot rings I would be looking for?
craig

Post by craig »

Legit wrote:Cheers mate, I'll get those sorted in the order listed!

Is there somewhere in particular to find the correct spigot rings I would be looking for?

No worries buddy. Spigot rings, you need to know the bore size of the wheel by measuring it.

Then look for the correct spigot rings

For example, if the bore size is 70mm, then you'd need 70>60.1mm spigot rings.

Ebay & the likes of Demon Tweeks should be able to see you right. Failing that, you can get tailor made spigot rings.
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

If you don't have the correct size spigot rings on get them on asap. At the moment the wheel nuts are holding the cars weight rather than just pulling the wheel to the hub. You're subjecting them to the wrong stresses in the wrong direction. The spigot ring fills the gap between hub and wheel for a snug load bearing fit.

Pop some on (centre bore is 60.1mm), adjust tyre pressures as accurately as you can, get everything balanced and aligned and then report back....
Torero

Post by Torero »

Can I also add, get the alloy spigot rings and not the trashy nylon or plastic ones. They don't do the job and detriorate quickly and you end up running on the wheel studs (like HS mentioned) without knowing it.

You really can't fark about with wheels and the spigot rings are under £20 so it shouldn't break the bank.
3VZ-FE V6 TRD Widebody Replica

Draven wrote "TRD dude. TRD... Can see awesomness from anywhere. "

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0
Legit

Post by Legit »

Thanks all of you for the advice, I really appreciate it :mrgreen:

I'm overseas with work at the moment but I'll measure up the bore when I'm back and get the right spigot rings on order :thumleft:

I assume they're realtively easy to fit?
craig

Post by craig »

Legit wrote:
I assume they're realtively easy to fit?

Yep, they simply push into the wheel bore, thus reducing the bore size to 60.1mm for your MR2's hub flange.
Mullen

Post by Mullen »

Torero wrote:Can I also add, get the alloy spigot rings and not the trashy nylon or plastic ones. They don't do the job and detriorate quickly and you end up running on the wheel studs (like HS mentioned) without knowing it.

You really can't fark about with wheels and the spigot rings are under £20 so it shouldn't break the bank.

Any idea where to get metal spigot rings?

Demon Tweeks/Camskill don't do them & ebay only seems to have plastic ones or the odd metal set but not in the right size.

I need 73.1mm - 60.1mm. Thanks.
al/c

spigot rings

Post by al/c »

never seen metal ones and obviously never used them, but then i,ve never had a problem with mine :)
craig

Re: spigot rings

Post by craig »

al/c wrote:never seen metal ones and obviously never used them, but then i,ve never had a problem with mine :)

+1
stuMR2lee

Post by stuMR2lee »

I'm looking for Aluminium spigot rings in 73.1-60.1 as well. Some on eBay from Australia for about £30 or online in the UK for about £40. Not found any for £20 yet!

Search Hub Centric rings.
oVerboost

Post by oVerboost »

I have metal ones on mine, I'll try to find out where I bought them from as I cannot remember right now and let you know. They were from eBay and in the UK. The plastic ones are just as good though really as long as you use the correct ones you wont get any distortion or movement issues.

With regards to vibrations, 9 out of 10 times it will be balancing so either the wheels/tyres themselves or wrong/lack of spiggot rings.
Mullen

Post by Mullen »

I just got a reply from the ebay seller I got my wheel nuts from.

73.1mm-60.1mm metal spigot rings are £25 inc p&p.
Lead time is 3 to 7 days.

Ebay listing number: 141030730940
This is not for the right size, just so you can find the seller.
stuMR2lee

Post by stuMR2lee »

Great info Mullen. Just sent the seller a message. :thumleft:
Nic

Post by Nic »

That's the same company I bought my aluminium spigot rings from, quality and service was good.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
Torero

Post by Torero »

That's where I got mine from and as well and they give a really good service. :thumleft:

TBH - I've never experienced any issues with nylon spigot rings but I found a few threads on the forums with cautionary information (albeit anecdotal) about them and I made the choice not to use them as a lot of what was being spoken about seemed to make sense.
3VZ-FE V6 TRD Widebody Replica

Draven wrote "TRD dude. TRD... Can see awesomness from anywhere. "

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0
stuMR2lee

Post by stuMR2lee »

I agree, they have been very helpful. I actually bought my nylon ones from the same seller a couple of years ago.

As my wheels seem to be off/on regularly I thought it was a worthwhile investment to go aluminium. May rule out a bit of wheel wobble before getting a re-balance.

Return to “Modifications”