Help. Engine shut off after I blocked the blow off

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Draven

Re: Help. Engine shut off after I blocked the blow off

Post by Draven »

Bern wrote:
Draven wrote:
GreddyMR2 wrote:To have better response when changing gears. And ohh, that surge sound - I just love it.
I really felt the difference. When changing gear fast on high revs, there is almost no any lag. Really, can't feel it.

There is the constant arguement that having no BOV causes compressor surge causing extra wear on the turbo decreasing it's life..

cars do have a BOV for a reason.. They don't put them there for fun..

Do you know the difference between on throttle surge and off throttle surge? Two different things.

Yes.. and the point you're making is?

not having a BOV can cause a backup of pressure which can cause undue wear on the bearings of the turbo. This is FACT.
Bern

Post by Bern »

Go do the research, try googling it. You don't know what you're talking about and this topic has been beaten to death already. Go look at various race cars, Subaru performance from Crawford racing, simon gishus interview, etc. go fine one spec of evidence that a turbo has died because of no-bov anywhere.
Draven

Post by Draven »

Well i'm not going to get into the arguement about it.. You're right this arguement has been done to death..

:thumleft: If you're happy without one then all is good with the world.
fingers99

Post by fingers99 »

Bern wrote:

They are emission and noise control devices, period. Celica alltrac has the same engine and turbo, yet came stock from Toyota with no bov. Same length of turbo life as ours. Did you know that Garret has a business relationship with Tial?

Need to research before posting mis-information.

I know nothing about the Alltrac.

I know nothing about any business relationship Garret may have with Tial. Perhaps you can enlighten? Together with news on KKK's and IHI's realtionship with another BOV manufacturer? Anything new on the grassy knoll?

Emission and noise control devices, eh? How?
Bern

Post by Bern »

And yet there are still people saying that on throttle surge is the same as off throttle surge, while claiming to know the difference.
Bern

Post by Bern »

fingers99 wrote:
Bern wrote:

They are emission and noise control devices, period. Celica alltrac has the same engine and turbo, yet came stock from Toyota with no bov. Same length of turbo life as ours. Did you know that Garret has a business relationship with Tial?

Need to research before posting mis-information.

I know nothing about the Alltrac.

I know nothing about any business relationship Garret may have with Tial. Perhaps you can enlighten? Together with news on KKK's and IHI's realtionship with another BOV manufacturer? Anything new on the grassy knoll?

Emission and noise control devices, eh? How?

Go read up on the subject and answer your own post. There is a lot of information out there. If you say you don't know anything about it, don't post up mis-information.

Edit: start here. It has the physics laid out with data. http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=445311
Draven

Post by Draven »

Bern wrote:And yet there are still people saying that on throttle surge is the same as off throttle surge, while claiming to know the difference.

No it is not the same.. the surge is far greater on throttle surge..that it is off throttle surge.
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Draven wrote:
Bern wrote:
Draven wrote:

There is the constant arguement that having no BOV causes compressor surge causing extra wear on the turbo decreasing it's life..

cars do have a BOV for a reason.. They don't put them there for fun..

Do you know the difference between on throttle surge and off throttle surge? Two different things.

Yes.. and the point you're making is?

not having a BOV can cause a backup of pressure which can cause undue wear on the bearings of the turbo. This is FACT.

You are 100% correct and do not let anyone try to tell you anything else.

The correct place for a BOV is just before the throttle body and should have the same diameter or greater than the pipe work feeding the engine.
This way the BOV will open and the air will continue in the same direction it was going. With a BOV by the turbo the air trapped in the pipe work has to change direction to get out of the BOV then change again when the boost comes back.

Without a BOV because of the pressure differential between the turbo outlet and inlet all the air in the pipework will try and go back to the filter and can and has bent and broken compressor blades.

It is all common sense but there are too many people on the internet that do not have a clue but talk as though they know it all.
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
fingers99

Post by fingers99 »

Bern wrote:

Edit: start here. It has the physics laid out with data. http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=445311

Well, I went through it. It's 95% opinion backed up by a few scruffy diagrams.

What I do know is that Lancia and Abarth used BOVs in the WRC cars, as did Porsche in the 959 (although the technical diagrams label it as a "vent valve").

Neither Porsche, Lancia or Abarth have any mysterious business relationship with TiAL, and at the time seem more strongly inclined to KKK rather than Garret (and, indeed, in some respects TiAL can be seen as competitors with Garret anyway!).

I note that you do not produce anything to argue the noise/emissions aspect of BOVs (yes, someone pointed to something by Mazda, but neither quoted nor gave a reference to it, and Mazda couldn't even handle homologation correctly).

I know of no UK based engine builder, automotive engineer or turbo reconditioner who recommends running without a BOV. For sure, you'll find someone in the States, but you can also find folk there who'll tell you you can run a non-vane turbo without a wastegate!

If anyone is still awake, a reasoned discussion of surge here.
Last edited by fingers99 on Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
nickg07

Post by nickg07 »

So when you took the BOV off, did you seal up the vac pipes or are they still loose somewhere and sucking in air?

Can you not put it all back to standard configuration and see if the car runs correctly or not and then test slowly to find the problem?

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”