Geo's Rev 5 Turbo

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

GeorgeL

Re: Geo's Rev 5 Turbo

Post by GeorgeL »

Magic Beans wrote:
GeorgeL wrote:I'm sure next year there will be a few of us right up there battling the deep pockets and big engines.

Or light cars with smaller engines :-k :wink:

Do it!! You saw how well that bloody DAX rush hayabusa turbo I had to deal with went...

Phil sell the red one and boost the yellow one :thumleft:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Funnily enough I was looking at this the other day... :wink: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181464758712? ... 1423.l2649 It's a bit much for a 500kg car though, you'd never put the power down. There were quite a few runners at TOTB like that, doing 1/4 burnouts :lol:

I am tempted to enter something into TOTB next year though, my appetite has been whet.

Is your plan to focus your build on straight line racing only?
mr2toby

Post by mr2toby »

Just out of interest what terminal speeds were you running ? Did you manage a top speed run ?
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

mr2toby wrote:Just out of interest what terminal speeds were you running ? Did you manage a top speed run ?

Didnt bother doing a top speed run... wish i had now though lol!

Terminals were all around the 129mph on the saturday when i was having a nightmare of a time until mid afternoon. On Sunday when the car started to slow down i was doing 124-126mph which wasnt ideal but it was still enough thankfully

Magic Beans wrote:Funnily enough I was looking at this the other day... :wink: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181464758712? ... 1423.l2649 It's a bit much for a 500kg car though, you'd never put the power down. There were quite a few runners at TOTB like that, doing 1/4 burnouts :lol:

I am tempted to enter something into TOTB next year though, my appetite has been whet.

Is your plan to focus your build on straight line racing only?

Phil... do it man!! that little DAX rush i had to race looked great fun! however, he did have nice sticky tyres on it and was still struggling which i guess shows that on road tyres it would be a waste of time.

Do it anyways mate... i personally would if i was you :thumleft: it would make for some serious fun haha.

As for straight line racing only; i dont want it to be.
However, im already at a point where my suspension selection and set up is negatively affecting the 1/4mile. If i was to put big brakes on like id like to do front and rear, id then be restricted as to how small a rear wheel i could run with MT's on.
Im going to do my best to find a balance but ive realised that keeping it as a comfortable full trim car is seriously cramping performance. As is my current weight lol! Both the car and myself need to get back to training and lose a lot of un-needed weight.
Last edited by GeorgeL on Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'98 Rev5 Turbo (GEO 1S)

TOTB13 RWD 1/4mile 1st place
TOTB14 RWD 1/4mile 3rd place (Misfiring)
TOTB15 RWD 1/4mile 2nd place (HG Failure)
TOTB16 RWD 1/4mile 1st place
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

A friend of mine is just about to start building a Dax Rush, the kit he is buying is a 4x4 one using the YB Cosworth 4x4 engine. Just a thought. \:D/
No 2 :(
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

Well.... Last Weekend. It has taken me long enough to get time to update about it....

It was TOTB13 (2014) at Elvington and given that i had always went as a child/teenages i just had to take part this year. It has always been a goal of my father and i to compete.
Sadly one of his fuel pumps had packed in and rendered his car unable to take part... We had planned a bit of father and son rivalry haha! only for a bit of fun though. :D

TOTB was never going to be a serious event for us both as we dont have the stupidly deep pockets like most who compete at the top level in these events.

So given that my dad was no longer taking part i figured id just have some fun myself and see how the car was doing this year before i really up the anti with it.

So on Friday the 25th (July) , my birthday , i headed down to YVS to give the car a good clean and going over before TOTB on Saturday and Sunday. As the car had been down at Fensport for mapping a few weeks a go it was a little dirty from the 700 odd miles from my house to Fensport and then back to YVS.

Instead of the usual birthday celebrations consisting of large amounts of Jack Daniels washed down with numerous pints and shots. It was soap, sponge and bucket time. Followed up with some polishing.... #-o not quite the same haha!

Engine Bay mid cleaning:

A cheeky rear end shot:

I was at Simon's (YVS) most of the day having a good chat and going over the car making sure it was ready to rock.
Once we were happy, at around 630pm, we covered it over and put it to bed for the night. Id be coming back early saturday morning to take it over to Elvington to have some fun on the Saturday "Boot-camp" session. The saturday is very much a practice session for the TOTB main event entries and also for anyone who has signed up and paid to come along and have some fun that doesnt want to take part in the main event.

Saturday 26th July:

I had stayed the night with some good friends in Sheffield on Friday night at their request lol! Finally got my birthday drinks in :D 8)

I got to Simon's at around 8am, had a drink and loaded my van. (the trusty support vehicle)
Once we were happy i hadnt forgotten anything... which would have been the norm. I set off with the MR2 and Simon and Liz followed.

On the saturday morning i was struggling big time with nerves. With this being my first ever 1/4mile organised event i knew i was bound to be nervous. However, when i actually got there it really kicked in. On my first 3 runs i missed 2nd gear somehow! Given i openly take part in many a "spirited" run on the roads and have never missed a gear in my life this really was a surprise. Between this and the lack of traction on the dreadful concrete surface i was starting to feel like an idiot.

Throughout the day i was speaking to Gavinda and his Mrs.. lovely to have met both of you! im sure Gav will confirm that i was feeling the nerves big time haha!

So I took a little break and had a chat with simon...

Words to the effect of "just imagine that you are on the road and dont want the usual Porsche effort to pass you" really worked. On my 4th run i got the nerves together and managed to connect the gears. Dont get me wrong, the time wasnt great... there was a lot of wheelspin and i wasnt keeping the car in the sweet spot. But i then realised that i was being a fool and had been letting the nerves take control. Once i had got this clean-ish run in, it was really a case of getting used to the car and trying to get a feel for the MT tyres that Simon had kindly let me borrow.

(Greeny also offered to lend me his when i told him i was going to run my R1R's... thanks a lot mate again for the offer! thats proper car community spirit right there)

Throughout the day the Granada that everybody should know of (1000+hp V8 Monster) had been leading the RWD class infront of me. Thankfully he was also was struggling for traction along with the rest of us in the RWD class and also FWD class. Being honest, the only cars getting decent traction were the mega 4wd beasts running 4 drag tyres like Andy Forrest, Mike Singh and the usual Scoob, Evo and Skyline/GTR crowd. A lot of the big powered road 4wd cars were running high 10's and low 11's so not all was lost.

It got to mid afternoon and i ran what i thought was an ok run and got an 11.38 and then an 11.37 back to back. During both runs i hadnt felt like it was a decent run with clean changes and a perfect launch but i cannot complain one bit as my 11.37 stood as the fastest RWD time of the day (Saturday) ...

However, would i manage to carry this over to the saturday and run a similar or better time and keep it up?

It had been very high 20's maybe even low 30's all day on Saturday and i was absolutely hanging and just wanted a shower and a Beer. Luckily a good friend Tommi had come over from Hull with his girlfriend and they were still there when i had finished for the day. I caught up with them both and got my hard earned (or so it felt) Pint of Beer :D and went for a walk around site to have a look and chat to the other drivers.
Once i had chilled out i headed back to Sheffield to stay with my friends again and had a takeaway with a few drinks to just relax. Oh, and that all important shower i was dying for haha!

Sunday was a totally different day to Saturday, it was a bit cooler (still mid 20's) but there was easily 10 times the people there along with a lot more entrants who had decided to leave out the saturday. Simon and Liz came across to TOTB with me again and my Mum and Dad had travelled down through the night and were on site before we were haha! Then my friends from Sheffield came over to whatch and join in with our BBQ antics. Rich (MR2 Rich) came over too and Lee ( Lee H) with his mrs. As always good to see Rich and was great to meet Lee. I had the pleasure of finally meeting Michael (Greeny) and his son aswell, who was giving me some advice with regards to not letting nerves get to me aswell. A friend of mine Andy also had come over with his Dad who is a keen photographer. Im currently waiting on a disc with his photos coming through the post :D
So by early sunday morning i had met some really great guys from the MR2 and extended community!

It had been raining overnight at Elvington and i was nervous that there would be lying water in the rough section of runway immediately after the 1/4m markers... with this in mind i let the 1/4m run for about an hour before i set my first TOTB time.

11.32 was my first time of the day and id later find out that i wouldnt have had to run another time....

However, this was my new PB and it was my benchmark to work from throughout the day. In my eyes it was a good start to what i hoped would be a good day.

I had went to TOTB with the plan to have fun and run a 10second 1/4m time....

However, after my first run Simon took a data log from the car and we had a look at how the car was running. It seemed that my air temp sensor was playing up (faulty) as before i had even moved the car when i turned it on the car was reading very high Air temps. Unforunately due to this, when the temps did rise when the car had warmed up and completed the first run... it was causing the Motec to start throwing trims into the ignition figures holding the car back. Simon then noticed that the car was hitting max injector duty in 3rd and 4th gear which was going to be holding it back aswell, which it started to do.
Gavinda actually approached me after my second run and asked if i lifted off slightly as he could hear the car change note. I had noticed that it didnt feel as quick (we are talking a small amount here... but enough for me to notice) ... I was a bit gutted as on that run i had nailed the launch - in my eyes - and i thought it was gonnna turn into a <11 run.

(i believe it was an 11.41 if memory serves me well)

After a few more runs it was apparent that a 10 was off the cards for me this year. The terminal speeds had started dropping off as my launches and 60ft times were improving over the morning... the car was holding back on me very slightly in the higher gears.
No excuses though... it was still flying lol! I was more than impressed with how it was going and tbh i cant actyally fault the car. It never missed a beat all weekend apart from holding back a little due to the previouslt mentioned issues.

I had began to get frustrated at myself though as i was still chasing a 10. It was then that simon pointed out to me that i probably wasnt going to get a 10 with what i had infront of me on the day so i should just relax and plug away at trying to lower my times.

At this point i was still in 1st qualifying position with my first run but i didnt want my first run to be my best so back to it i went.

11.22, 11.25 and 11.28 back to back.... i couldnt really complain at all. I had been keeping it consistent and was pleased. I decided to throw in the towel and wait and see what the others did at this point and hopefully id qualify for the final. (something i hadnt even contemplated upon entering)

This was how the qualifying finished up:

NERVES came flying back :lol:

Semi Finals were set and it looked like this:

Myself VS 300zx

Dax Rush VS Opel Kadett

The 300zx was a lightweight fully built NOS monster

Opel Kadett had a 600hp C20LET

Dax Rush had a Hayabusa Turbo engine and a serious set of gadgets onboard

At this point Simon and my Dad had pushed me up the 1/4m and were giving it the "keep calm" chat. Quite rightly so! However, just before this i had sat in the van with the headphones on listening to some Skrillex to try and zone out and forget about everyone watching... it worked

11.30 and i was through to the Finals. I took my time coming back down the other runway so i could see the other Semi Final. I watched as the Dax Rush passed the Opel on the later third of the 1/4.

Due to concentrating on my own times all day i hadnt actually been spectating much so i didnt know what the cars i was up against went like and where they were best over the 1/4.

As i came back around Simon informed me that the Dax was rapid in the later stages of the 1/4 and that id need to do it all on the start if i wanted to beat it. NO PRESSURE lads :oldtongue:

So around it came... my time to line up with the Dax.

I had got the sweaty hand syndrome and then struggled to light up the back wheels to get heat into them.
I then adopted my attitude of old, back from when i used to professionally game.

"i am not being beat this late on"

STAGE
READY
GREEN.... i was already on the go! I actually set off that quickly that i thought i had possibly jumped the lights as i caught out of the corner of my eye the "stage" light flash. TBH i hadnt really paid attention to the lights up until this point in the day so i wasnt really sure what i had done... but i didnt lift off and kept it going. I could feel the car start to lift slightly at around 7500rpm in 3rd gear and then 4th aswell... all the time i was watching my mirror in anger because i thought i had thrown it away.

When i eventually came back around to the paddock (helmet still on ill add) everyone was waiting at my space...

Simon's face said it all... i hadnt jumped the lights! :D :D :D

Absolutely buzzing!! i couldnt believe it. TOTB13 was my first ever car event, first TOTB, first 1/4m... the whole lot. (The commentator was could to remind me before every run haha)

I came to have fun and get a 10sec run. Instead i came away with something much much better...

TOTB RWD 1/4m Champ and Fastest Time of the day Glassware. Oh and a Millers Oil hat for myself and Simon.

I must admit though, the highlight of my week was seeing how happy Simon was. His hard work had paid off big time... i take my millers oil hat off to him for that! :oldtongue:

Massive Thankyou to Simon @ YVS and also to Liz for being there the whole time. I cannot wait to start the next stage with the car... hopefully have some more fun at TOTB next year if its ready in time.

So that was that.... TOTB was finished and i was going home one seriously happy and tired lad.

A huge thankyou to all who came to watch, support and even come talk to me. It was awesome to have met so many nice people over such a brilliant weekend. I certainly wont forget it anytime soon.

Thanks to my mum for screaming her head off in nearly every video i have of the car in action... proper embarrassing. :thumleft: :oops:

Here is the final of the RWD class... can you tell she was next to the guy taking the video? LOL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhplPjwrj8g

Anwyays, it was now home time for the car. Simon took it back to his as we are hoping to get to York Raceway before the season is out and so i can hopefully nail that <11 sec run :

My dad took this photo during the day on Sunday and then messed with it. I liked how it almost looks like a water colour painting the way it has lost its sharpness:

These photos were taken by Aron Vickers. He is a professional photographer who was on site over the weekend and kindly sent me these over. (look much better full size but ive reduced them to fit nicely)

My personal Favourite:

Im also waiting for some photos coming through the post in a disc from my mate Andy's dad... i cannot wait to see them!!
Last edited by GeorgeL on Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'98 Rev5 Turbo (GEO 1S)

Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

Absolutely chuffed for you man!
Great to see the amount of support you have around you with this :D
Great pics and great video, would love to get some time in this beast :mrgreen:

Anything planned after York or you keeping it under wraps? :lol:
craig

Post by craig »

Congrats George. Car is simply awesome. 8)
jennadouglas84

Post by jennadouglas84 »

Well done George!! Was great to have met you too.
Xx (gavz mrs) :clap:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Awesome performance, write-up and shots. Hats off to you, George, seriously :thumleft:

If you decide you want to build a front undertray for that Border bumper let me know, I have a template you can have. Assuming you've not decided corners are boring :)

Next year: Watch this space, I have some ideas :wink:
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

Gullzter wrote:Absolutely chuffed for you man!
Great to see the amount of support you have around you with this :D
Great pics and great video, would love to get some time in this beast :mrgreen:

Anything planned after York or you keeping it under wraps? :lol:

Yeah definitely hats off to Simon and Liz @ YVS with regards to support. They were there the whole time and always on the end of the phone. They even took the car down to Fensport to get it mapped for me because I couldn't get the time to.

I'm sure I'll be able to get you out in it at some point soon mate :)

Ehh... I'm not sure. Probably have a go at York and then start the wheels turning for the next stage matey.
'98 Rev5 Turbo (GEO 1S)

GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

jennadouglas84 wrote:Well done George!! Was great to have met you too.
Xx (gavz mrs) :clap:

Cheers :) .. Hopefully next time I'll be more chilled and be able to have a proper chat with you guys.

RedMR² wrote:Congrats George. Car is simply awesome. 8)

Thanks buddy :)
'98 Rev5 Turbo (GEO 1S)

GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

Magic Beans wrote:Awesome performance, write-up and shots. Hats off to you, George, seriously :thumleft:

If you decide you want to build a front undertray for that Border bumper let me know, I have a template you can have. Assuming you've not decided corners are boring :)

Thanks Phil :) still can't believe it tbh... Next year it will be much tighter I'm sure of that.

That would be ideal mate... I don't want to give too much away on the forum but it would definitely work into something I'm trying to plan just now. :thumleft:

Corners are never boring 8) :D ... Just become a nightmare with the powerband. :( .. I'm going to try work around it though without sacrificing too much straightline hero ability.

Haha I'll be watching mate don't worry! I still think you should have another MR2 but I know that whatever it do, whether it be with the Busa or something else.... It'll be awesome! And über clean lol!
'98 Rev5 Turbo (GEO 1S)

ads

Post by ads »

Brilliant George , just brilliant . Congratulations

I think your Mum's screaming added even more drama to the video !

Mmm .. Wonder what you've got planned for the next evolution .. Time Attack ? Suit you Sir !
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

Great write up. Sunday was a good day. :thumleft:

Catch up soon pal. :D
No 2 :(
dan mkii

Post by dan mkii »

Well done george .... :clap:

fantastic read.... always wanted to go TOTB just to spectate but its such a mission to get there for me.
h20490

Post by h20490 »

Amaziing build thread George!!

Car was Immense at TOTB!!!

I never saw you down on the handling track?
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

GeorgeL wrote:
Magic Beans wrote:Awesome performance, write-up and shots. Hats off to you, George, seriously :thumleft:

Thanks Phil :) still can't believe it tbh... Next year it will be much tighter I'm sure of that.

That would be ideal mate... I don't want to give too much away on the forum but it would definitely work into something I'm trying to plan just now. :thumleft:

Corners are never boring 8) :D ... Just become a nightmare with the powerband. :( .. I'm going to try work around it though without sacrificing too much straightline hero ability.

Haha I'll be watching mate don't worry! I still think you should have another MR2 but I know that whatever it do, whether it be with the Busa or something else.... It'll be awesome! And über clean lol!

I'll drop you a message soon then :)
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

congrats, reminds me of this on my old car
(i never got to use them unfortunately, something you'd be interested in on your next outting?)

GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

ads wrote:Brilliant George , just brilliant . Congratulations

I think your Mum's screaming added even more drama to the video !

Mmm .. Wonder what you've got planned for the next evolution .. Time Attack ? Suit you Sir !

Cheers Ads :)

Haha she is off her head mate honestly... Was funny though. She gets herself right into these things at times. Should see her watching sports on the tv :lol:

MR2 Rich wrote:Great write up. Sunday was a good day. :thumleft:

Catch up soon pal. :D

Indeed mate :) had a good laugh

Hopefully Rich.. If Si and myself get something sorted I'll be sure to let you know :) get you in on the action too

dan mkii wrote:Well done george .... :clap:

fantastic read.... always wanted to go TOTB just to spectate but its such a mission to get there for me.

Thanks Dan :)

Yeah it's quite a journey from You to be fair. It's about 240m from my house but it's very straight forward getting there. Just boring.
The roads you would have to contend with from down your way aren't so easy going if I remember correctly from travels.
It's worth the journey though if you can make a weekend of it.

h20490 wrote:Amaziing build thread George!!

Car was Immense at TOTB!!!

I never saw you down on the handling track?

Thanks buddy :thumleft:

I didn't bother with the handling circuit this year.. I figured I didn't have the brakes for it this year and I decided to keep it on the 1/4 only. I wish I had ran on the KM though to set a speed on that. I'll maybe do the handling next year as long as the car doesn't stray too far into the straightline hero category.
'98 Rev5 Turbo (GEO 1S)

Return to “Member Profiles”