[Mk2] [Turbo] Limits of the stock fueling system

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

JD

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Limits of the stock fueling system

Post by JD »

I'm going to wait and see - I haven't driven the car enough since the mapping :(

Marf wrote:Any tuner who'd leave a customers car with a fuel map that nearly maxes out the fuel injectors is a tuner worth avoiding. :eye:

Ryan 2bar?
tubby_tony

Post by tubby_tony »

Regarding figures she was putting down 304fwhp on last RR in 2010.

On WOT my AFR's are in the low 10's which is rich but provides a safety margin.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

JD wrote:I'm going to wait and see - I haven't driven the car enough since the mapping :(

Marf wrote:Any tuner who'd leave a customers car with a fuel map that nearly maxes out the fuel injectors is a tuner worth avoiding. :eye:

Ryan 2bar?

i don't think it's down to the tuner at all, if you are happy to go ahead then it's up to you not them, I do think they should explain the potential hazards obviously.
JD

Post by JD »

Well, before mapping I did stress that it wasn't about max power, more about running smooth and fuelling properly, which it does a lot better now on the PFC than it did on the stock ECU, although I don't have any AFR charts for the stock ECU. I can just set the boost controller at 1bar for safety.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

sheppy wrote:
JD wrote:I'm going to wait and see - I haven't driven the car enough since the mapping :(

Ryan 2bar?

i don't think it's down to the tuner at all, if you are happy to go ahead then it's up to you not them, I do think they should explain the potential hazards obviously.

Absolutely, would I recommend to someone doing this without explaining the risks, No. Would I do it with my own car, Yes. I dont see any reason personalty why not to push past 300hp on 540cc if the turbo and engine are strong O:)
Last edited by 2mad on Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

i just can't see how it's such a big ask from the fuelling system, cosworths and stuff run crazy BHP with pretty small injectors. the 300zx TT only has like 330s or 370s or something ridiculously small!
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Cosworths are legends :eye: the sort of power they were pushing in the mid 90's.. lol I read max power then :whistle:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

2mad wrote:Cosworths are legends :eye: the sort of power they were pushing in the mid 90's.. lol I read max power :whistle:

i'm not really a fan of them but I have a friend who is crazy for them, he had a 450bhp one and i'm sure he told me it had "upgraded" injectors, when I asked what size i swear he said 440s, i'll see if I can find out for sure. I remember being shocked at how small they were!
Marf

Post by Marf »

Ryan 2bar?

Just my opinion mate, leaving a non-expert to make a call on that kind of thing is asking for trouble.

Anyway, I can see I'm arguing against the tide, here's hoping no-one loses an engine :eye:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Marf wrote:

Ryan 2bar?

Just my opinion mate, leaving a non-expert to make a call on that kind of thing is asking for trouble.

Anyway, I can see I'm arguing against the tide, here's hoping no-one loses an engine :eye:

na not at all Marf, I fully agree 3% safety net isn't really great. it's just an interesting topic, plus the fact that nobody except JD has really pushed it this far before :thumleft:
2mad

Post by 2mad »

sheppy wrote:
2mad wrote:Cosworths are legends :eye: the sort of power they were pushing in the mid 90's.. lol I read max power :whistle:

i'm not really a fan of them but I have a friend who is crazy for them, he had a 450bhp one and i'm sure he told me it had "upgraded" injectors, when I asked what size i swear he said 440s, i'll see if I can find out for sure. I remember being shocked at how small they were!

Exactly, I think from memory grey injectors were the biggest for the cosworth and they fell short of the 540cc you get on the rev3+
Crazy hp from such small injectors :eye:
JD

Post by JD »

to boldly go...

that's it; i'm getting a Star Trek decal.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

2mad wrote:
sheppy wrote:

Exactly, I think from memory grey injectors were the biggest for the cosworth and they fell short of the 540cc you get on the rev3+

on the other hand though, JD is running at 97% duty. wheather Ryan G thinks this is ok or not we don't know. I'd like to hear his input!

also, i'm sure the cossies only run low boost too, so less boost = less fuel. :-k

EDIT: we also don't know if Ryan has included any overheads into his map. I mean, is the car running at 97% duty, or is it at 97% when it has a slight boost spike etc.....
2mad

Post by 2mad »

sheppy wrote:
2mad wrote:
sheppy wrote:

on the other hand though, JD is running at 97% duty. wheather Ryan G thinks this is ok or not we don't know. I'd like to hear his input!

also, i'm sure the cossies only run low boost too, so less boost = less fuel. :-k

EDIT: we also don't know if Ryan has included any overheads into his map. I mean, is the car running at 97% duty, or is it at 97% when it has a slight boost spike etc.....

With out seeing Ryans timing map who's to say how safe it was . jd's afr's raised into nearly 12's ish between 5500 and 6000rpm thats way leaner than I would go with out running water/ meth for safety.

JD wrote:

Mapping really is an artform and would love to hear from Ryan.

The fact Jd's car and tubby_tony's car ran for years maxed out must count for something :thumleft:
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

Some of the big power Cosworths use the 8 injector plenum from the RS500.
No 2 :(
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

I'm running very similar specs to JD. Forged, GT2860RS, Standard fuelling. No PFC for me though. I'm still on standard ECU.

Had it on the rolling road and made 343bhp at the fly.
Unsure of IDC's but it was running lean. So the fella didn't quite complete a full power run as he could hear it starting to det through the knock sensor headphones.

My thread here - http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... 50#1576650

My MR2 - http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=174494
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

is that a turbo graph? :? :mrgreen:

ive never seen a graph on a turbo that linear.
tubby_tony

Post by tubby_tony »

Hats off simba90. :D
Great achievement.
Remember, not all engines are built the same and the standard ecu is mapped with a lot of tolerance to provide for all engines. Some engines can just take a little bit more. Have fun driving, like me tomorrow 6am over to Hartside Pass. Bed time.

Return to “Modifications”