[Mk2] [Turbo] My Rev3 Tubby brake system woes!

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Legit

[Mk2] [Turbo] My Rev3 Tubby brake system woes!

Post by Legit »

Hi all. Thought I'd post a bit about how I spent my day and ask a question while I'm at it.

Obligatory picture...

In preparation of my new alloy wheels (which arrive tomorrow), I took it upon myself to remove the 18s, as well as fit new EBC disks (ultimax) and pads (redstuff) all round.

After eventually getting the tubby on stands, I set about removing the wheels. The previous owner so kindly left me without a locking wheel nut but I soldiered on with my "Irwin Bolt Grip Nut" set, a hammer and a 3/8"in drive :D

Now here's where the fun starts... I got the first brake caliper and disk off easily enough but straight away I noticed that the front disks were too thick! ](*,) This is where I need some clarification for you guys... I have bought some EBC Ultimax 276mm diameter, 30mm thickness for the fronts and 280mm/22mm for the back. I always do my research prior to a purchase and as far as I'm aware - these should fit fine! :-k Here's my theory: Somewhere along the line, a previous owner has fitted the Rev1 calipers and disks to match. What do we reckon?? EDIT: My fears are confirmed!

Anyway, I spent a good portion of my day on and off wrestling with the damn things before realising it was all for naught :( Oh well, at least I managed to remove the crumbling dust covers! And here I was hoping to be mobile by end of play tomorrow... #-o[/b]
Last edited by Legit on Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] My Rev3 Tubby brake system woes!

Post by Peter Gidden »

Front calipers:

Look at the digits cast into them: "25" is Rev1, "30" is Rev2-5

Rear calipers:

"16" is Rev1 and "22" is Rev2-5.
Legit

Post by Legit »

I was literally about to edit the post as I've just got in from outside and checked...

They are indeed Rev1 calipers all round #-o

Project Money-pit is a go!!! \:D/
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

previous owner must have followed bob hattons suggestion of how rev1 brakes are all you'll ever need but why anyone would downgrade their brakes is beyond me #-o
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

raptor95GTS wrote:previous owner must have followed bob hattons suggestion of how rev1 brakes are all you'll ever need but why anyone would downgrade their brakes is beyond me #-o

But with the right pads.

They will do the job, just fit Porterfield pads

http://www.porterfield-brakes.com/search.php
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s

Return to “Mechanical”