Parts availability for restoration project?

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

MarkCL

Parts availability for restoration project?

Post by MarkCL »

Hi all - I'm currently toying with the idea of getting a Mk1 as a restoration project, and I thought it made sense to ask what the situation is regarding pukka spares? Can you still get the bits from Mr T or is the Mk1 just too old now? I know Fensport (for example) do some parts, but what's the real situation regarding the majority of new bits these days? Do you tend to rely mainly on second-hand, breakers and forum wanted ads these days or can you get reasonable new parts from official sources? TIA for any info :)

Cheers,
Mark
kaiowas

Re: Parts availability for restoration project?

Post by kaiowas »

Mechanical parts don't tend to be a problem, particularly engine/service bits due to the commonality with the Corollas. It's becoming more and more common for trim parts to be no longer available from Toyota so you're often reduced to trying to find good bits from breakers rather than being able to buy new.
coanda

Post by coanda »

Yes, sometimes the best thing to do is run your resto over a long period - that's what has happened to mine and as a result I've been able to get hold of a fair few NOS or good quality used parts - and lost some bidding wars on others!

I have found TCB to be invaluable in getting hold of whatever I've needed, and surprisingly enough, I've found some good stuff at good prices on EuroCarParts.
1988 JDM AW11 SC - In the middle of restoration and repaint.

1998 UK SW20 Rev.5 - A nice daily driver with some cool bits and pieces.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Huge amounts of MK1s being broken nowadays, I think parts are cheapest they've ever been. Just a few odd bits are a little harder to source.
MarkCL

Post by MarkCL »

Just a quick thank-you to those who posted info, I'd forgotten about TCB...been away from Toyotas too long it seems :oops: Anyway, I'll bear all that's been said in mind as it seems it shouldn't be too much of an obstacle to getting a decent job done, so thanks for the reassurance :-)

Cheers,
Mark

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”