normal temperature needle reading on gauge?

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jcbadger

normal temperature needle reading on gauge?

Post by jcbadger »

Hi all

The little green MR2 owners handbook shows that the normal temperature operating range is quite wide on the gauge. Where should the needle normally be when up to temperature? My needle seems to remain at the low end for much longer than I would expect it to even after driving around 10-15 miles or so. It does reach mid point if I park the car with a warm engine and then come back to it but it then comes back down to the lower end when I drive away. that car drives fine but compared to a modern car it does seem slower for the needle to move up the gauge. Thanks.
aw11rally

Re: normal temperature needle reading on gauge?

Post by aw11rally »

Most modern dash temp sensors are biased to give a stable reading around the middle of the gauge rather than an actual temp reading. The VAG temp gauge for the 1.8T shows the same reading (middle) on the gauge between something like 70 and 100 degrees, they show cold below and hot above.

I guess it's been decided that most drivers would be offended / distracted / worried by needles moving around on the dash!

The MR2 sensor / gauge is unbiased so moves in relation to the actual temperature of the coolant.

Check that your coolant system is fully bled of air bubbles. Air in the system can cause unstable or inaccurate readings.
jcbadger

Post by jcbadger »

hi. thanks for the response. So then is it normal then on an MR2 that the needle should operate in this fashion and not stay still and react to changes in driving conditions ie. hard acceleration, etc
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Change your thermostat.
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

PW@Woodsport wrote:Change your thermostat.

+1. Maybe it doesn't have one fitted?
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

I'd guess it must have one fitted, without them i don't think the needle ever rises.
jimi

Post by jimi »

1 or 2 divisions below the middle, never moves summer or winter once it's warmed up, which doesn't take long, as already said change your thermostat and for all the price difference I would use a genuine Toyota thermostat :thumleft:
Ben

Post by Ben »

You'll almost certainly find your fuel economy improves with a new thermostat as well :thumleft:
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
1989 MR2 Mk1b T-bar | 1988 MR2 SC Super Edition
BIGBOBO

Post by BIGBOBO »

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”