defective bov?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

androo007

defective bov?

Post by androo007 »

Hi chaps,

Some help really needed please! Thought I'd stick the one and only modification to the MR2 on today, a hks style bov bought from here advertised as working just fine.

Installed the bov (blanked off big pipe, ran new pipe from IM to bov.

However, I've noticed a few things:

It's not a tight psssshhhht more of a whaaaaaaffftttttttttttttttt that lasts forever unless it's flat out.

I can hear air rushing on throttle - again, shouldn't it be closed until throttle release?

The valve inside opens when on throttle - surely this isn't normal behaviour?

Only driven 10 miles but obviously I don't want to risk anything. So, first question, can a defective bov mess with AFRs on the Rev 3?

Can get a video if needs be, i'm pretty confident it's defective but after confirmation from the experts.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: defective bov?

Post by Ryan S »

Valve should be closed on throttle, it's a pull type valve so the more boost, the tighter it seals. The noise will depend on what insert you have in it. If it is opening on throttle then it's not operating as it should, get a refund 👍
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Yeah, that's exactly as it's doing. Ok thanks very much, I'll whip it back off the car. Seems it's destined to stay standard....although I'm happy with that!
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Toyota OEM - 1
Cheap paddy field knock off "HKS style" - 0

Now there's a surprise.

I'd be sending it straight back to the seller.
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Sounds about right, thanks Peter. I don't normally skimp out.... ever. (This was the last pennies from spending a decent amount on servicing and general replacement of worn parts) but still pretty gutted. Will request refund from seller. Thanks!
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

Please help!

Not creating another topic I will ask here.

I have OEM blow off valve which I suppose could be defective.

Here is the issue. Sometimes, when I push a bit of throttle (not boosting, but a bit more than cruising), the sound appears like a boost leak or something. It's starting to blow the air somewhere, but when I push more, let's say holding vacuum around 0, that sound is gone.
The sound appears only when vacuum is around -20 (normal cruising vacuum is around -35).

Could it be the bov? Of the VTV valve? I suspect VTV as well as I can blow to one side freely, but also can blow a litlle bit (very hardly) to another side. As I know it should work only in one side, no?
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

GreddyMR2 wrote:Please help!

Here is the issue. Sometimes, when I push a bit of throttle (not boosting, but a bit more than cruising), the sound appears like a boost leak or something. It's starting to blow the air somewhere, but when I push more, let's say holding vacuum around 0, that sound is gone.
The sound appears only when vacuum is around -20 (normal cruising vacuum is around -35).

Could it be the bov? Of the VTV valve? I suspect VTV as well as I can blow to one side freely, but also can blow a litlle bit (very hardly) to another side. As I know it should work only in one side, no?

I could be miles off but this is from personal experience, and this is only relating to vent to atmos. While on half throttle (or thereabouts) sometimes I could make the valve open, it's like there's not enough pressure to keep it closed and not enough vacuum to open it fully, i had this with a stock valve and an apexi valve. however, recircing, you shouldn't have this problem. if it's set to recirc then the intake should theoretically suck the valve closed.
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

sheppy wrote:

I could be miles off but this is from personal experience, and this is only relating to vent to atmos. While on half throttle (or thereabouts) sometimes I could make the valve open, it's like there's not enough pressure to keep it closed and not enough vacuum to open it fully, i had this with a stock valve and an apexi valve. however, recircing, you shouldn't have this problem. if it's set to recirc then the intake should theoretically suck the valve closed.

It's recirculating... And the sound appears not always.

By the way, maybe it could be related to my other problem that I can't find... My vacuum on idle is around -40 when it was to be around -55 before. And the engine sounds like with aftermarket cams. But this problem is only on idle.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

GreddyMR2 wrote:
sheppy wrote:

It's recirculating... And the sound appears not always.

By the way, maybe it could be related to my other problem that I can't find... My vacuum on idle is around -40 when it was to be around -55 before. And the engine sounds like with aftermarket cams. But this problem is only on idle.

hmmmmm.....I'm getting dejavu here, I'm sure I read on here somebody else having a similar problem with the vacuum reading, i'm sure their cam timing was out by a tooth??? I also think Mr Gidden diagnosed it so he may be able to tell you.
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

It was me! :mrgreen:

But appearently timing belt is fitted corectly. And all vacuum hoses seem connected well and have no leaks. I think of doing boost leak now.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

GreddyMR2 wrote:It was me! :mrgreen:

But appearently timing belt is fitted corectly. And all vacuum hoses seem connected well and have no leaks. I think of doing boost leak now.

oh, hahaha, has your idle been adjusted??
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

No, nothing was adjusted. The guy just replaced piston rings, that's it. And from that time vacuum screwed.
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

Unlike any others the stock dv will only close once mani has reached positive pressure.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Skywalker wrote:Unlike any others the stock dv will only close once mani has reached positive pressure.

ah, that's right, i mind using one to vent to atmos and it stayed open when you lifted off, wouldn't close until you put your foot down again.
glen n

Post by glen n »

This was my bov which I'm sure was a replica. Worked fine throughout my ownership of the car and was fine on the day it was removed. May have been damaged in the post or may have just broken. I'll have a look at it when I get it back.
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

Weird, your car ran perfect Glen :-k
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

to be absolutely fair here, I've used plenty of the replicas, and despite what Peter thinks of them, I've never had one fail on me (i've said this many time on here) I have had genuine HKS valves fail that's why I always buy the replicas, I'd rather have 1 year from a replica than 2 years from a genuine. my replica has been on the car for ages now and is completely fine.
Baker

Post by Baker »

Androoooo, What car do you have, rev1/2 or 3+?

It sounds like it's been incorrectly installed, or your car is not producing enough boost - does it hit full boost?
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Hi Baker, It's a Rev 3 - tbf i dont see how it can be installed incorrectly - Bolted in with no leaks, and a 4mm hose from IM outlet to the BOV.

Looking at the BOV end on - the circle ring that has SSQV BOV text (I think usually purple when new) is off-centre and wonky to one side..... which makes me think the postie may have been a bit too heavy handed somewhere - i poked by finger in and it doesn't rattle around at all though.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”