Why are so many 2's being broken for scrap?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

rgb

Re: Why are so many 2's being broken for scrap?

Post by rgb »

lets hope more get broken
al/c

mr2,s

Post by al/c »

i stripped my t/bar turbo but only to put everything into a tintop shell, it now looks like apart from a gearbox and a few other small parts i,ve got enough to rebuild the t/bar. so i,m going to strip it completely and respray and rebuild it. after all it,s only my time and red,s old shell will live yet again.....got more lives than a cat that shell :lol:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

uglee wrote:There are 1000's of MR2 left and to be honest I don't ever see values rising as a direct result of rarity.

Condition and desirable aftermarket parts/options is what has a greater effect on price in my opinion.
You'll see plenty of £1K-£2K cars around, very occasionally a car will come up that is exceptional with an exceptional price tag. There is a small number of owners who realise that the initial large outlay can be nothing compared to the cost of getting a minger upto scratch.

I agree, after my abflug kit is fitted and the car is resprayed, i'll never get back what i've spent on the car! i reckon it'd be worth 3-4k tops despite having spent between 2-3k on the kit and painting alone :(
best option is to keep it!
aussieGT

Post by aussieGT »

uglee wrote:There are 1000's of MR2 left and to be honest I don't ever see values rising as a direct result of rarity.

It'll happen in about ten years i reckon.

The UK's salt roads are a literal car killer, the car being mid engined and poor tyre selection (coupled with harsh write off categories) take care of many others.

The model will soon become the MG of car enthusiasts. It's a great car - thats why we are here on this forum venting our spleen one way or the other i'd argue.

Maybe one day, long after i'm gone - someone will crack open my hypothetical barn and find all sorts of hoarded and saved SW's…

I can see the obvious reasons why if you'd spent a fortune building up a car you'd be justified getting your money back. But to buy a nice car to kill it…
SrSilkie

Post by SrSilkie »

I cant see the price rising up to the point it would be worth selling, nor do I look at my car as an investment. I enjoy to drive it and thats why I have it.

I also dont plan on selling, ever, the car gives me more pleasure to drive than its worth in pounds but times change and if I did it certainly wont be broken. I want someone else to enjoy the car regardless of whether I lose money on it.

On that note however I hate losing money which is partly the reason I dont plan to sell it :lol:
Black 94' GT-S Turbo
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

WilkieGT wrote:I cant see the price rising up to the point it would be worth selling, nor do I look at my car as an investment. I enjoy to drive it and thats why I have it.

I also dont plan on selling, ever, the car gives me more pleasure to drive than its worth in pounds but times change and if I did it certainly wont be broken. I want someone else to enjoy the car regardless of whether I lose money on it.

On that note however I hate losing money which is partly the reason I dont plan to sell it :lol:

same here, when I was selling it, it was purely due to lack of use, i'm hoping to use it more when I get it back, when I do, i'll run it into the ground, now I think about it, I can't believe I actually put it up for sale :shock: :shock:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”