Patchy red paint on MR2 after rain

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Tiger Tim

Patchy red paint on MR2 after rain

Post by Tiger Tim »

Hi All,

I have a red 1985 Toyota MR2 for the past 7 years. Prior to me owning it, it was resprayed at some stage. Car is used for summer runs only & rarely used in the rain. Had it on a run 2 weeks ago & it really rained & paint is destroyed. Its like the sun bleaches the paint thru' the rain droplets. It's all little white patches now. I've masked the discolouration on the past with red coloured Turtle Wax but now its so bad, that doesn't make much difference. There's a really good finish on the paint except for this problem. Can't afford to get it resprayed at the moment so looking for any solutions. I've also used Meguiars Paint renovater & that does help & I think the white patches fade over time. Pics below. Any help appreciated

LOOKS OK FROM A DISTANCE
alanmr2turbo

Re: Patchy red paint on MR2 after rain

Post by alanmr2turbo »

mop it and wax it, failing that its a respray
Rob66

Post by Rob66 »

Hey Tim

I had something very similar on my first car (a Cortina). I am pretty sure it is due to there not being any lacquer (clear coat) on the car.

Thats good and bad, good because you should be able to polish it out as Alan says with a Rotary or a Dual Action Polish (will take an age by hand). I would then try to find a Wax or Sealant that sheets rather than beads water and probably most importantly try not to leave the car in warm sun following rain as this will increase the chances of this happening again, as the water dries.

Product wise, G3 Paint Restorer will remove the blemishes (use plenty of water with it as quite abrasive and better with machine than by hand).

Lots of different waxes/sealants of course but i have found Megs NXT2 sheets pretty well. Autoglym bodywork Conditioner also sheets well during wash stage (wash and rinse one panel at a time and rinse with an open ended watering can rather than a hose to miinimise spray and aid sheeting). All above available from Halfords.

Good luck with it.
Tiger Tim

Post by Tiger Tim »

Alan & Rob,

Thanks for the replies. Car isn't lacquered as you say Rob. I was trying every product I have in the garage last week & came across a bottle of Methylated spirits. I usually use this for cleaning before I spray a small item. Anyway, I tried it on one small section near the engine cover - the small panel thats left & rignt of the engine cover. With very little rubbing, the dots disappeared but dulled the paint a little but a good polish brought the shine back. Did it on the entire boot & engine cover & the dots have all but faded. Tried it on the bonnet & it made very little difference. I borrowed a buffer & polished the bonnet & it improved it a little but the fading seems deeper here.

Will try a wax that sheets. Normally don't leave it out in the rain but was on a classic car run & it was parked outside for a while when we stopped for lunch. Couldn't avoid that.

Not sure what the methylated spirits does but definitely improved the rear of the car.

Thanks for the help,

Tim

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”