[Mk2] [Generic] Boot Light Mod

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Black Light 93

[Mk2] [Generic] Boot Light Mod

Post by Black Light 93 »

So I have now done my boot light mod after being inspired by other MR2 owners but now have enough left over bits to make another 2 or 3 sets if other people would want one? Otherwise I will just keep the left over as spares or put more LED’s in my car somewhere - any suggestions?
This is all the bits I used
The LED’s have Velcro on the back to stick onto the boot carpet or metal with the other side.
I did intend on using a full meter of LED’s but it turns out just 200mm is ample (in my opinion) – a full meter of the stuff is 4.5W. They are made by LEDEXON. Look like a quality brand and they also do more powerful versions and RGB ones if you want that look. The one I have currently are the neutral white (4000K) IIRC but ‘warm’ and ‘cool’ variants are available.
As these run off 24V I have had to put in a small power supply which will take 9-18V and give out a maximum of 6W if needed, it is isolated and includes short circuit protection etc. I have put connectors on all the inputs and outputs so everything can easily be changed later if needed.
I have doubled up the layer to decrease the risk shorting underneath.
I have taken the power from the OEM bulb holder but you could equally take it from the cabling behind it.
I plan on mounting one under the OEM location and the other directly opposite next to the hinge
I plan on sticking the PSU board on top of/next to the ECU so it will be out of site.
The wiring will be tucked away behind the carpet when I fit my new/not oily boot carpet
I’m sure you all appreciate how bad the OEM set up is but this is what it looks in the dark.

Return to “Modifications”