FULLY FORGED - New pics of the car (page36) + 1/4 mile times

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Race Idiot

Re: FULLY FORGED - New pics of the car (page36) + 1/4 mile times

Post by Race Idiot »

Wouldnt you need an ecu that would be able to control the vvti to take advantage of the head?

Seriously that car was so cheap I think everyone was considering buying it! I already have one mr2 that sits around doing nothing most of the week!

You arent gonna break it are you? Thats one of the rarest colours!
ashley

Post by ashley »

Yes- and there are aftermarket ecu's with that capability :thumleft:

To be honest I would probably ditch the vvti and just run aggressive cams, it would be more to take advantage of the increased flow capabilities of the beams head.
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

Well ive got the "brash boy" apexi pfc on the beams, could that be transferred to the turbo or would i need something more advanced?
Also would the c/r not be quite high especially when combined with the 5s? :-k
Alot of questions i have about this, and maybe a mortgage too :lol:
ashley

Post by ashley »

Gullzter wrote:Well ive got the "brash boy" apexi pfc on the beams, could that be transferred to the turbo or would i need something more advanced?

So the pfc is capable of controlling vvti? I didn't realise that!!

If so- then why not transfer it, it would need remapping obviously...

The CR would be decided by your piston choice, and I think you would need to look carefully at piston crown design- don't the beams valves protrude further from the head than the Rev 3 - 5 heads?

Lots to think about, but in 3S / 5S engine build terms- that combo is just about as good as you can get imo 8)
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

ashley wrote:
Gullzter wrote:Well ive got the "brash boy" apexi pfc on the beams, could that be transferred to the turbo or would i need something more advanced?

So the pfc is capable of controlling vvti? I didn't realise that!!

If so- then why not transfer it, it would need remapping obviously...

The CR would be decided by your piston choice, and I think you would need to look carefully at piston crown design- don't the beams valves protrude further from the head than the Rev 3 - 5 heads?

Lots to think about, but in 3S / 5S engine build terms- that combo is just about as good as you can get imo 8)

Piston wise ill be 87.5 JE, yeah i believe the valve angle is slighty different in the Beams so need to have a chat with Peter about it to see what could work, also pros and cons.
It potentially could be an absolute animal in the future with a turbo kit but im not knowledgable enough to jump into quick decisions like that just yet :lol:
Doing some research on it all however will be a long term project :mrgreen:
ashley

Post by ashley »

If you do go for it then you'll need to measure valve movement out of the head in relation to cam position, then you'll need to measure headroom with the pistons, and then work out the clearances. If you do run it with vvti enabled you'll then need to work out the effect on any potential interferance situations, and make sure you never get in there!

You won't be able to choose the pistons till you've done that, and cc'd the combustion chambers in the head.

Not a well troden path to take, so expect lots of testing, measuring and then more testing and measuring :lol:

I'd go for it thouigh if I had the chance :thumleft:
Leakie Tbar

Post by Leakie Tbar »

5s block on beams head is a complete waste of time the beams block is more than capable of anything the 5s is, it would just be a waste of money,

It also has the Uprated water pump area and the later oil pump and cooler set up , running crank sensor, beams use maf,

The vvti oil feed will need blocking off and running a external source, also your 5s you already own is a waste of time because you can't use the pistons with the beams head, so really you will be starting from scratch

Also high boost applications the inlet manifold will need replacing,

Honda boys delete there vtec for high high power,, as did TRD, on there beams race engines,
Last edited by Leakie Tbar on Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
ashley

Post by ashley »

Leakie Tbar wrote:5s block on beams head is a complete waste of time the beams block is more than capable of anything the 5s is, it would just be a waste of money,

Really? Not heard that about the beams block, I thought it was very similar to the rev5 3sge block in manufacture :-k

Given that you'd have to replace the beams crank, rods and pistons anyway- can't see the 5S being a waste of money- especially if you want stay at 2.2l
Leakie Tbar

Post by Leakie Tbar »

You wouldn't have to change the crank, just rods and pistons,

What oil cooler would you run with your 5s block and beams head and sump options ?

The beams block has more in common with the st215,
Leakie Tbar

Post by Leakie Tbar »

.189 of cc displacement is not worth the thousands needed to get the head to work on 5s

It would be viable to upgrade the internals of a beams rods and pistons than it would be to 5s/beams head
ashley

Post by ashley »

You would need to change the crank if you want to keep it at 2.2 (which I would).

Oil filter would be remote (obviously), with a cooler if required.

Morosso sump.

Basically my existing set up just with a different head....simples :lol:

EDIT: I would be coming at this from a position of already having a 5S setup, as would Gullzter....if you were starting from scratch then I totally concede your point :thumleft:
Last edited by ashley on Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leakie Tbar

Post by Leakie Tbar »

And the ignition ?

You can build a 5s stroker using 5s crank or a 3s crank !!! And your 5s pistons are no good either with the beams head :shock:
Last edited by Leakie Tbar on Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
ashley

Post by ashley »

COPS, why?
ashley

Post by ashley »

Sorry Gullzter- totally off topic for your thread :oops:
Leakie Tbar

Post by Leakie Tbar »

Because the beams oil pump has the crank sensor built into it with a recessed sump,
ashley

Post by ashley »

Doesn't matter- got crank trigger wheel bolted to my 5S crank pulley already...it's all do'able if you already have the setup. As I said- if you were starting from scratch then I take your point, but both myself and Gullzter already have 5S blocks ready to go, it would simply be a case of mating the beams head to the existing set up :thumleft:
Leakie Tbar

Post by Leakie Tbar »

I've had a 5s since 2004 on a rev3 head running a complete rev3 sump system, which I built myself

Theres a better solutions to running a 5s block on a beams head utilising all of the beams parts except block and rods pistons,
Leakie Tbar

Post by Leakie Tbar »

Famous last words

Simply be a case ha ha
ashley

Post by ashley »

For the sake of a quiet life we're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one :lol:
ads

Post by ads »

Gullzter wrote:
ads wrote:
Gullzter wrote:

Thanks buddy, the exhaust blows like a b1tch at the U-bend, i was reading up about the PP exhausts and noticed you had yours for sale for pennies then decided to keep it! It does sound absolutely amazing high revs (5500+) but unfortunately under that it doesnt sound the best, not sure if thats to do with the blow though. I will have a look at this Stainless Ubend you speak of
:mrgreen:

Just to save you possibly wasting time / money, once mended you'll find the exhaust to be fairly quiet overall with a sporty edge if that's your thing , if not replace with something else

Can you pm me a pic of yours fitted please?
Had a look and seems worth it, is that the only part of the exhaust that is mild steel?

Hi sorry only just seen this, will PM photos thru tomorrow - other pipe between two exhaust boxes is also mild steel - this part also rots like hell, had mine patched up for now and wrapped to hide the mess. Anyway I still think it was worth expense to fix as these single exit pp are quite rare ( could be wrong, but I haven't noticed them on many other 2s )

Return to “Member Profiles”