car will not start

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SuperRedMR2

car will not start

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I moved the car last night from the front garden to the road and it started up fine.

Went to use it this morning, there was a click and then nothing. No dash lights or anything.

Attempted to jump it off my gfs car and after five minutes there were still no dash lights.

Has a fuse gone somehow?
n52

Re: car will not start

Post by n52 »

does the click sound like its coming from the engine bay behind you? My MK2 did that, turned out to be immobilizer issue, check your negative terminal on battery make sure its tight
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

its all on tight. The starter didnt even click.
Anything to do with the heavy rain weve had recently?
crazylegs

Post by crazylegs »

stick a multimeter across the battery and see what you have. try a jump. if this fails then its not the battery so look for other things. does your boot get damp? if so undo the large connector from the loom( behind the panel) and clean and give it a squirt of WD.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Hi Kev,

Will borrow a multi meter later.

How can it have worked fine last night but now nothing at all?

Ive suffered immensely with battery issues until recently but have always been able to jump it but it wouldnt jump this morning. Nothing registered

Will unplug the connectors.

This is really making me lose faith with this now as my daily driver is awaiting a clutch and flywheel change.
aw11rally

Post by aw11rally »

I've suffered with knackered jump leads recently (they don't seem to like getting hot).

I struggled to get my tractor going for hours using jump leads off cars or fully charged batteries with no luck. I then decided to get out the spanners and swap a decent battery in, started first push of the starter lever, it turned out the jump leads were goosed.

Take a known, good, charged, functioning battery and put it in the MR2. I bet it starts.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Found the issue.

The negative terminal connector is pretty much oval and doesnt get full contact on the battery when tightened. Ive put some aluminium foil in place to bridge the gap and it works now.

Ill replace the clamp at the weekend.

Thanks for all advise though.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”