Geo's Rev 5 Turbo

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

MR2 Rich

Re: Geo's Rev 5 Turbo

Post by MR2 Rich »

Suspense.....is.......killing........us

What's the results? :mrgreen:
No 2 :(
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

Ive had enough, im going to sleep [-(
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

Sorry I fell asleep uploading photos last night...

I'll get a proper write up done this weekend at some point.

I haven't have it a good blast but I gave it a few blasts in 2nd on low boost on my way back to Sheffield last night and it's definitely rapid and a lot better than the last build.

I'll open it up more when I'm back home today and see what's what. with the nos turned on it apparently is like night and day and then with the race fuel in its a whole different ball game. Simons face when he came back with Adrian from mapping said it all for me... Grinning from cheek to cheek.
glen n

Post by glen n »

Everyone is in suspense for these figures :D

I think it only made 150bhp so he's keeping quiet :lol:
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

I maybe wrong but I don't think there is a figure? Having been out in it this afternoon all I can say is it is awesome, on race fuel I can only imagine what it will be like. :mrgreen:
juliankv73

Post by juliankv73 »

MR2 Rich wrote:I maybe wrong but I don't think there is a figure? Having been out in it this afternoon all I can say is it is awesome, on race fuel I can only imagine what it will be like. :mrgreen:

Will be "bum dyno" unless it was taken to a dyno place...but with Simon and Adrian in the seats, it'll be pretty dam accurate :lol:
ashley

Post by ashley »

Nitrous, race fuel and a GTX35...it has to be significantly over 600hp- wouldn't want to say how far over I suspect it is, lets just say a lot :mrgreen:

How high is it reving before boost comes in?
synXero

Post by synXero »

ashley wrote:Nitrous, race fuel and a GTX35...it has to be significantly over 600hp- wouldn't want to say how far over I suspect it is, lets just say a lot :mrgreen:

How high is it reving before boost comes in?

:shock:
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

Hi Guys, after what I can only describe as possibly the most stressful and tiring weekend of my life I've finally managed to sit down and chill....

On Thursday my car was sent down to Fensport ready for mapping on Friday.
Unfortunately I was working Thursday so I was rushing about like mad trying to get off a nuclear power station site in time to drive the 1hr 45mins home to then try catch a train @1840 in Glasgow central.

(Yeah all in one sentence... It emphasises just how much I was rushing lol)

I luckily made the train down to Sheffield where I was staying overnight. My good friend then drove me down to Fensport (Cambridge area) to be there whilst the car was being set up. (Top mate I tell you!)

Simon had travelled down on the Friday with another customers car - Who is also a friend of mine - as the plan was that it would get mapped aswell. Simon was there to oversee everything and should anything go wrong he would be able to hopefully sort it.

I arrived at around 930am and my car was
Already out for mapping... At around 10ish Si and Adrian appeared back with my car looking a bit uncertain.

(This is where I started to flap)

The car was misfiring a bit...

Luckily it was just some water down the spark plug bore from the car being washed on Thursday before it got sent down... Easy enough to happen.

So off they went again....

10mins later they are back.

The car was struggling for fuel pressure....

That was me off on one panicking it wasn't going to done today and it had all been a wasted journey and a waste of money.

Anyway... Long story short simon quickly identified that the fuel pressure regulator was Fooked. (Brand new aswell)

Luckily there was an aeromotive one sitting around that got put on my car (at more expense) and solved the issue....

Time to do the first map then.

Vpower only. I've personally only tried the Vpower map and not even on high boost. (I believe there is only 0.3bar difference though so not a lot really)

It's wicked! Power wise I'm gonna agree with Ashley and say over 600 on Vpower... Reason being I was pulling car lengths on a V10 R8 in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear on Sunday after attending a rained out MR2OC meet. The R8 fun ofcourse happened on private land I shall add.

Anyways back to Friday..

The Nitrous set up required it's own map so Adrian turned on the nitrous and went to go play... The result is that instead of having it for flat out power gains it's only there to aid initial spool. It comes on around 3500rpm and tails off around 5000rpm by which point it's on song anyways. I'd rather have had it this way anyways as it's primarily a road car at the moment and if I feel it's too slow I could then change it up.

In all honesty I haven't tried it yet myself but Si and Adrian said it made a big difference and is ideal for the likes of rolling starts. That being said there isn't really any lag. The gearbox is there for a reason lol!

I can make the BOV "dump" as low as 2000rpm so it's certainly spooling quite low... Lag isn't too much of an issue either. Nothing more than what I was used to with the TD06 on my first mr2 and then the GT3582r I had previous. Id say its better if im being honest..

Next up was the race fuel map... Simon and Adrian's face when they came back said it all for me. Both of them seemed to have got a serious buzz and given what both their cars (past and present) are capable of or were capable of that really sealed the deal for me.

They offered ofcourse for me to go out and try it with the race fuel in before they drained it out again to swap back to Vpower. I declined though as I want to save that experience for whatever event I decide to have a pop at.

Basically I know once I've tried the race fuel I'll never use Vpower again... This is something I don't think I could afford so I'm prolonging this happening :lol:

After over 9hrs (excluding breaks) of mapping on the car ... One broken FPR and many gallons of fuel. It was ready.

Ready to go home! Finally :thumleft:

I did this in two stages... Back to my mates in Sheffield ok the Friday evening and then back up to Glasgow on the Saturday afternoon via YVS to go see Simon and thank him again.

I'll be totally honest... He is an absolute champion! Now I know he doesn't come on here so I'm not out to kiss his ass. The work he has done for me and how happy I am with the car I know nobody else could have done.. Nothing was ever a problem or hassle to him... We spent many many hours on the phone discussing parts and working out all the fine details.
I know simon had many early am starts and then didn't finish until well after midnight trying to get it finished towards the end once all the parts had came through (gotta love customs hold ups) .. It may be my car but in my eyes it's partly his as he has given a hell of a lot of time towards it. I just paid for it.
I also want to say thanks to Liz, Simons other half for supplying us all with tea and biscuits and many a laugh. Over the last year both Simon and Liz have became my friends and not just someone I go to with my car...

So based on how well I have got on in the last year I can whole heartedly recommend YVS to anyone looking to build their MR2... Or even just fix it after another garage has made a hash of it.

Anyways.. I'll get a few pics up Tomorrow after work along with something I've taken from the internet that I'm really quite proud of..
Last edited by GeorgeL on Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Awesome read, George :) There's no better feeling than that first time you get to see and feel it all come to life, after months of planning, waiting, expense etc :D

I like that you're not all about the numbers, as really the way the car feels and drives is far more important.

I'll patiently await the photos (video too :wink: ) and whatever else you have for us :thumleft:
synXero

Post by synXero »

Two of Michelin's finest, please! :D
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

A Great write up for a great car. :thumleft:
Rob B

Post by Rob B »

Well in :thumleft:

Its so stressful at the time but you'll look back on it as a cracking couple of days. Bet that thing really moves. Heard nothing but good things about YVS also.
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

Thanks Guys :thumleft: :thumleft:

I was rather chuffed to see this on the Fensport facebook page the day after the car was mapped. It made me laugh a little lol.. I know Adrian enjoyed mapping it but seeing this meant a lot.

Recently ive been working away quite a lot so havent been around to use the car but at the weekend i managed to get the time on friday evening to clean the car and put on some new parts :)

I managed to source some wind deflectors with all 6 clips and pins intact. (they are rare as it is without having all the clips with them)

I also got my hands on some genuine Border mirrors so i took the time to get these on as well.

was in the garage until 3am on saturday morning and then headed down to see Simon (YVS) on saturday morning around 830am to go for some tea and biscuits with him and Liz at the garage. I had intended to have the car in the YMS show on Sunday but unfortunately on my way down on saturday morning i had about 150miles of sheer rain :cry:

Which didnt lift until sunday morning. By which point i was a bit hungover at my friends house in sheffield haha! no show for me or the car.

I took some photos of under the engine cover and bootlid part of the way through cleaning it up... i had intended to do a before/during/after but i was too tired and these are the only clear-ish ones i have.

Installing wind deflectors and mirrors (will get better photos this weekend when im home again without the tape to hold whilst i was securing them)

ashley

Post by ashley »

Looks great mate :thumleft:

Keep an eye on the silicon hose from your compressor housing into the boost pipe- they are very exposed the ex mani heat there, I've blown two before I coated it in heat reflective sheeting :eye:
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

ashley wrote:Looks great mate :thumleft:

Keep an eye on the silicon hose from your compressor housing into the boost pipe- they are very exposed the ex mani heat there, I've blown two before I coated it in heat reflective sheeting :eye:

Cheers buddy!

I see your dash is coming along bloody awesome! I'm trying not to look at it though as It makes me want something similar and I can't afford it just now lol! It's awesome!

Thanks for the heads up.. Much appreicated. This is something that crossed Simon's mind but I opted to leave it... Might just wrap it up now to be safe 👍
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

Absolutely love this build. Pure sex. Keep it up :thumleft:

My MR2 - http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=174494
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Awesome, George, just awesome :thumleft:

All you need to finish this off now is a video for us all to enjoy :whistle:
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

simba90 wrote:Absolutely love this build. Pure sex. Keep it up :thumleft:

Thanks mate it's getting there bit by bit :thumleft: .. Got a few changes planned already for after the summer. Just need to save up again to make sure they happen :(

Magic Beans wrote:Awesome, George, just awesome :thumleft:

All you need to finish this off now is a video for us all to enjoy :whistle:

Thanks Phil.. :) I'll make a point of getting a decent video sorted soon for you buddy. Or I'll take you a blast at JAE :thumleft:
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

Just a little update...

I've bought Craig's (RedMR2) rev3 jdm turbo tintop shell....

Now all I need to do is get my hands on the appropriate parts I need to make it rollable for painting etc. (Subframes, shocks, hubs etc) luckily I've go some rev3 wheels in the garage which helps matters.

Safe to say this car will be changing a fair bit :whistle:

Return to “Member Profiles”