Oh no! Dash lights!

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

coanda

Oh no! Dash lights!

Post by coanda »

Hoping this isn't too much of a pain in the rear. Mk.2s are new to me so am a bit baffled.

Car: UK NA Rev.5

So, I came to move the car to get the wheels off for refurb yesterday and the following lights remained lit when the car was started (besides parking brake...).

Battery discharge light
Low Oil Level Light
Engine Compartment Cooling Fan Warning Light
Low Brake Fluid Level Warning Light

The volts gauge reads at the bottom of the red bar, and the aftermarket volts gauge I have reads between 9-11 volts when running.

I have sufficient oil.

I have max brake fluid.

The car had been sat for two weeks with me doing a few jobs including changing stereo head unit.

The engine itself sounds fine but there is a low whine/hum coming from somewhere in the engine bay.

I'm guessing the alternator is finished? Would the forum agree?

I also think that the radiator has gone since there's a green/white discolouration to the matrix (not that there's much of the cooling fins left! and not much in the way of fluid in the system when I came to top it up. New rad in the post and doesn't look too bad to do.
1988 JDM AW11 SC - In the middle of restoration and repaint.

1998 UK SW20 Rev.5 - A nice daily driver with some cool bits and pieces.
abovetherim

Re: Oh no! Dash lights!

Post by abovetherim »

classic alternator not charging warning lights.

Before condemning the alt do a few checks. Has the car been stood for a while? If so the alt can fur up inside and sieze causing the belt to snap on start up, so check belt. Check plug terminals nice and clean. Check battery terminals are clean and tight. Check condition of earth leads in the engine bay. Charge battery up fully.
If all above ok and still have the lights then check you have 12v in all 3 wires in the alt plug with ign on.
coanda

Post by coanda »

Thanks for the suggestions.

Ok, charged battery last night and reads 12.6v when attached to the car. With the engine on, this drops to 12.1v (so its not being charged...).

The alternator 3-pin plug came off with no effort so, I wonder if it's worked loose bit by bit. I plugged it back in firmly (such that it wouldn't come off if pulled) and the results are the same - dash lights and no charge to battery.

Visual inspection confirms belt is there and spins the alt pulley with engine on.

Alternator looks mucky enough to be original.

When the exhaust is cool (because I'm a pussy) I'll check the voltage to the socket pins.

toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

I would suspect duff alternator. Is it mucky because your cam cover seal is leaking?
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
coanda

Post by coanda »

Yeah, I checked the plug pins for battery voltage and all three were ok. Changed the alternator today, aswell as the rad so now we're back in business.

Thanks for everyone's help on this!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”