[Mk2] [NA] Standard exhaust

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

markyj1969

[Mk2] [NA] Standard exhaust

Post by markyj1969 »

Ive cleaned and polished my standard back box but can't get the shine I'm looking for, is this standard back box stainless steel ? can I sand it back and polish, if so what's the correct procedure ? Any advice would be great
markyj1969

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Standard exhaust

Post by markyj1969 »

Any ideas before I potentially willy it up :roll:
jon

Post by jon »

Is it not Aluminised Steel? If you sand through the Aluminium coated it will rust very quickly.
markyj1969

Post by markyj1969 »

It may well be im not sure, maybe I won't sand it back then, is there anyway of getting back the original shine
andy585

Post by andy585 »

could always try good old brasso
Draven

Post by Draven »

It is coated mild steel I believe
markyj1969

Post by markyj1969 »

Ok thanks, well it's on a 1996, original backbox, I've got rid of all the grime but can't seem to get it back that well, I wondered if there's a stage further I can take it, to get it shining again
craig

Post by craig »

Buy a Mongoose?
mr2matt

Post by mr2matt »

Standard NA exhausts are indeed coated mild steel, not sure about yours but the one that came off my 1998 rev 5 also had a heat shroud around it and the connecting 'U' pipe. The exhaust tips were the only parts that were shiny (polished) bare metal, as for getting the back box itself shiny, you're gonna have to think of something radical like sanding all the coating off, polishing it to a perfect finish and sealing with something like high temp clear coat (or fully polishing it every day :lol:). Besides that I'd recommended getting an aftermarket exhaust, plenty of topics on here regarding noise and drone levels if you're worried about that sort of thing. Or alternatively if you want to try something really different you could look into having it chrome plated (which is apparently cheaper than it used to be), that would certainly make your cars rear stand out from the crowd :thumleft:

Return to “Modifications”