Project MRX350

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

PW@Woodsport

Re: Project MRX350

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Hi Neil, the stub axle is an Mr2 turbo one, but not only machined down to fit the Mk1 bearing, but also converted from 114.3x5 PCD back to 4x100.
Neil_turbo

Post by Neil_turbo »

Ahhhh! That makes sense! Impressive on keeping the 4x100(though not sure how!!!), very subtle!

So far these have with stood everything I have thrown at it!
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Yeah we have a few 2gr and 3s-gte Mk1s knocking around with this rear hub conversion, so far nobody has managed to break them :thumleft:
rtech95

Post by rtech95 »

Paul
I am so glad i sold my 89 SC Mk1 and decided to put my S/C'ed 2GR into MK2 REV3 instead. Would have never felt like finished project compared to yours .

I have not mounted in car yet but am i safe to assume S/C will hit turbo engine lid ?

Between your progress and fact guy few houses down from me just bought a 13' Evora S driving me crazy not having this motor ready yet .

So far $2500 invested in 2GR with S/C and Evora close ratio 6spd gearbox .Goal is $6000 total and running .

Keep those great build updates coming!
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

My 2gr SC definitely hits the SC engine lid, so i need to fit one of my TD lids.... i'm not sure about clearance on a Mk2.

$6000 is cheap, way less than i've spent :thumleft:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

More of the SC installation done, intake pipework finished, 6 speed linkage all done, not far from start up now...

I think it needs dusting!
jimi

Post by jimi »

PW@Woodsport wrote:
I think it needs dusting!

Well you do have a fine vacuum cleaner there, that'll sort it out :lol:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

LOL just start the engine up! :thumleft:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Suspension now finished, all powder coated bits back on the car, Mk2 Turbo driveshafts fitted... i had to make a custom shaft bearing carrier, there was nothing in the Toyota parts bin that would work.

I've also made a one off rear mount assembly with extra bracing and pickup points, the driveshaft passes through this mount and the cut out section is just a bit of weight saving akin to how Toyota do their mounts.

On my front mount assembly the Scion bracket worked perfectly with my original S54 modified chassis bracket, what are the chances? It was simple to add my V6 torque shocker damper after that.

Rav4 front discs now fitted to the rear....

There are parts from about 8 different Toyota models on this car now and several from Lotus.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Wow, fantastic work, Paul. Well done! :+:
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Thanks Lauren :thumleft:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

So today i tacked the full stainless exhaust together, i have been using this design of downpipe on customers builds for some time now, it gives a lovely equal length downpipe length for each bank and a very nice free flowing Y merge, all compact between the gearbox and sump.

Tomorrow will see this all Tig welded up.

Badges and decals aren't normally my thing, but i thought these were very fitting for the car.

PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Version 3.0 of the digital clocks is almost ready, gone are the stock speedo and tacho dials, now replaced with a virtual set, running Torque on a Samsung Tab 3 as a display (fits perfectly into the Mk1 cluster) with an ELM327 bluetooth adapter sending all of the 2gr-fe ECU OBD2 data to the display.

In effect i can now configure the dash to read any gauge i want, from AFR ratios on each bank, to throttle settings, fuel trims, any amount of performance data, GPS, anything you like, and all controllable via a wireless keyboard, so switching between displays is easy, hell i could play Angry birds on the thing! It will also handle all of the cars multimedia etc

For now it will just mimic the Mk1 speedo and tacho gauges with additional info on other screens, it also powers up and shuts down in seconds thanks to a clever app called Tasker, which lets me configure the display to behave how i want it to.

For ultimate JDM nerdage a Japanese female voice says "Chīsana akai ryū ga mezameru" when i turn the ignition on, which means "Little red dragon awakes", then on turning the ignition off she says "Chīsana akai doragon wa nemuru".... "little red dragon sleeps" , just a nice touch for the car shows, that will become very annoying in everyday use i bet.

Pics coming soon of that installed.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Looking forward to that - a mate of mine writes Torque so I will forward the photos to him when you put them up :thumleft:
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Oh right, he has written one hell of an app there, one of the best i've ever seen to be honest, even from a datalogging/diagnostic point of view it is a very handy tool indeed.

Part of the reason for me using Torque as a dash display is that my EB60 gearbox has no speedo drive, i could add one, but i have no time this year to split the box and rebuild it before summer, so GPS is my only option for now, the side effect is it could be a very nice mod on the car anyway, although i am struggling now not to go too far.
stenky

Post by stenky »

too bad this dash thing won't work with pre-OBD II engines :mad:
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

stenky wrote:too bad this dash thing won't work with pre-OBD II engines :mad:

Well, the speedo will :) I used Torque with the 'Track Recorder' plugin with GPS speed, roll & attitude of the car & the accelerometer all displayed, while recording a video of the journey and overlaying a translucent google maps display in a car with no OBD quite a few times. Unfortunately at the time the export functionality (to make the resulting video useable outside of Torque) didn't support exporting non-OBD data, so the GPS-derived info was only available when playing back on the phone, but Ian has fixed that since.

Paul, I take it the vehicle your gearbox comes from uses the ABS rings to calculate road speed?
Last edited by toxo on Wed May 07, 2014 5:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
wilkie senior
IMOC Moderator

Post by wilkie senior »

Ive used Torque & a £7 blutooth adapter to sort out my daughter car

brilliant app free! look forward to seeing pics of it working Mr Woods :thumleft:
That's a negative, Jim. I do not have the measles.
Hail Cosmos Eagle Rev 5, 1998 -
RIP White Eagle Rev 1, 1991 - 2016
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

toxo wrote:
Paul, I take it the vehicle your gearbox comes from uses the ABS rings to calculate road speed?

Indeed, it uses the ABS rings on the Scion, i could install a speedo drive, but i just don't have time this year.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

When starting to do my front brake upgrade i have spotted my OSF stub axle hub is buckled! There is a 1mm wobble in the hub when spun against a DTI gauge, good job i spotted that, the car has always had a very slight wheel wobble at 60mph (hardly noticeable) , so this is the culprit. Somebody in the past has obviously kerbed it pretty hard.

Has anyone got an old front hub (either side, doesn't matter) they wish to exchange for money, bearing and general condition totally unimportant, i just want it for the stub axle part.

Cheers if anyone can help.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”